“Service let it down”

Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 29 May 2014

If not for the really poor service this place would be amazing and I would definitely go back, however, the service really did let this place down.

We were left standing at the door while 3 staff members who could clearly see us were talking about the previous night out. Eventually taken to our table by a different member of staff the service didn't improve. The girl serving us seemed to have a bit of an attitude and was not friendly at all.

The food I had was really good, however, was my second choice as they didn't have my first choice which was only found out at the time I tried to order. To top this experience off my girlfriend (who is coeliac) ordered a gluten free option and was feeling unwell about an hour after eating here! - obviously not totally suited for gluten free eating!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

The breakfasts at Motel One in Market street did not look up to much so on our first morning in Edinburgh we found this place. It is pleasant and airy, the staff are very friendly and the breakfasts excellent. We liked it so much we went back on the other two mornings we were in Edinburgh. The eggs benedict with haddock or spinach were wonderful - two eggs, freshly cooked spinach. The teas used were quite special and there was a lovely ambience. Special hanks to the waitress who was anxious we had sufficient hot water with our tea. They have gluten free bread here and several of the dishes on the full menu are suitable for celiacs.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Good food including local specialties. A little pricey, more in line with London. Service was friendly albeit somewhat slow given the small number of other customers.
Please pop in for a lazy breakfast and great looking cake.

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Horrible service. Worst waitress and timing ever. The staff seems to be nice but our waitress was extremely unfriendly. She didn't smile in the whole morning and not even said "thank you" or "you're welcome" once. We weren't asked how was the meal and were ignored most of the time.

We found the place through google. It's central in Hanover street. It's a basement but still quite lightly.
On arrival, we had to wait a few minutes, normally a good sign. 5minutes later we west shown a table, and ordered coffees straight away. We asked 5 minutes to decide the food but waitress reaction wasn't good.
We ordered 3 minutes later. After 7 minutes I reminded her about ours coffees and she replied with an unfriendly "they're coming".
A further 10 minutes later food arrived but no sign of our latte macchiatos.
I do understand that they get busy but if you care about your customers, you should make sure the food is not served until drinks are on the table. Basic.

I had to asked again for the coffees. By the time the arrived my food was lukewarm.

Eventually, she came to put pressure on us to leave but we ordered a dessert. Obviously, we had it really quick and leave.

It's a shame a single person ruin the whole experience. I can't even remember whether I liked the food or not. Management should improve recruitment and supervising of the staff which I found it unacceptable for a place you pay almost £5 for a glass of juice or £3 for a mini glass of coffee.

Before leaving, I gave my feedback to the girl in charge whose excuse was the bar was full but she didn't apologise at all. I couldn't finished because she said "thanks for your feedback" and carried on.

Horrible way to start my day.
I visited on Monday 21st Abril at 11am

4  Thank gaucholoco
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We popped into here for breakfast during our recent stay in Edinburgh. The restaurant is down some steps into a smallish room - but the main eating area is to the side of this and quite a large space. Despite what other reviewers have said, we found the service to be friendly and attentive. The eggs benedict with bacon was delicious and my partner had a very nice large plate of scrambled eggs on toast. This place isn't cheap, but we enjoyed what we had and would visit again.