“Great atmosphere”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We visited this restaurant on a Friday night and the place was buzzing.We were early so our table wasn't ready , we waited in the bar area and had a nice drink. We had a table in the up stairs area which is quieter but my wife didn't like where we were the table was as it overlooked the chefs preparing the food.The staff were very helpfull and moved us to a table on the lower section.The menu is extensive and there are plenty of wines to choose from.The pasta dishes that we ordered were excellent, very tasty.The evening was very pleasant even if a bit noisy.
This chain is one of the better Italian chains, slightly more expensive but well worth it.
We have now had both lunch and dinner at this restaurant and enjoyed both.
We will visit again when in the city.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,602)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have eaten in Gusto on several occasions and have always been impressed with the service and the food. On this particular occasion I was visiting with my family and we were excited to taste some of the new dishes available on the menu. Our waiter Krys could not be more accommodating, particularly with my 1 year old niece. He was very attentive and efficient and made my sister and myself feel at ease as it can sometimes be quite stressful dining out with young ones. We were able to order a small pasta for my niece with fresh ingredients instead of the generic children's dishes you can find in some other restaurants and she loved it.
We shared the new asparagus salad starter and the deep fried picerino cheese. Both were delicious. We also shared a primavera pasta and pulled pork pizza. I have tried the pasta before on a previous visit and was so good I wanted to have it again. The pizza is a choice I would not normally have made but so glad we did as it was amazing.
Overall our visit was exceptional. Great atmosphere, great food and great service. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Every time I am in Edinburgh Usually eat here. Food is always good. Atmosphere was buzzing the night I was there. Good selection of food and a great wine list.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have visited this restaurant twice and both occasions were exactly the same experience. Although we were disappointed the first time, my wife and I returned to give it a second chance as we thought maybe it was an unlucky experience. We returned our dishes on both occasions due to the pasta being tepid warm and the pizza base undercooked. On both occasions again, they returned not much better, the second occasion uneatable. It is a shame as we loved the atmosphere and the location is ideal. Unfortunately we will be leaving it a long time to return and hope we catch a different chef!

1  Thank Ian D
gustoedinburgh, General Manager at Gusto Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback following your recent visit to GUSTO Edinburgh. My apologies that the food was not up to our or your expectations. We usually pride ourselves on the high standards we aim to achieve with regards to food quality on this occasion it would seem we have failed. Issues with the food as you describe are not our normal standard and I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss these issues to better understand what has happened. You can contact me on 0131 225 2555 or on email at colinmckinlay@gustorestaurants.uk.com.
Kind Regards,
Colin McKinlay

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Booked online weeks in advance for a Friday evening (&pm) for 5 people. The confirmation stated we had to give up our table by 9pm but to be fair no one chased us for the table and we departed just after 10pm. We were shown to a booth table upstairs and the service was very good from start to finish. It may have just been my choices but I thought the food was average, however my four colleagues had no complaints. Starter was focaccia with olive oil/balsamic and the bread was "hard" and wasn't finished. For a main I had the meatballs in focaccia and it was "ok". I'd probably return but choosing something different. The place was very busy but had a good atmosphere. One other minor point being upstairs the gents seemed mile away !!!