“Excellent food, nice atmosphere, great cocktails, best steak!”
Review of Monteiths

Monteiths
Reserve with OpenTable
Monteiths is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #153 of 2,554 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Monteiths prides itself on using great quality ingredients that are locally sourced where possible. Provenance is hugely important and we work closely with our suppliers to ensure that our food comes from farm, to plate as quickly as possible. Although we frequently change our menu to reflect the changing seasons we also have a range of specials including dry aged fillet steaks and chateaubriand available. There is also a selection of seasonal dishes from the sea including fresh Scottish lobster and oysters. We also serve a wide range of hand crafted cocktails, beers & wines from around the world. Whether you're looking for lunch, dinner or drinks Monteiths on the Royal Mile is a must.
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Came here for my birthday yesterday (21st May), lovely decor and welcoming. Offered water & bread straight away (with pink peppercorn & fennel butter). The steak was by far the best I've ever had, perfectly cooked and no gristly bits at all. Chips were phenomenal and the cocktail I had was gorgeous.

The only slight downfall was tha the sea bass for £19 didn't really have anything with it? So a side was needed.

Will be looking to come back soon!

There are newer reviews for Monteiths

Reviewed 18 May 2014

No matter how we try to better Monteith's style, staff and glorious food we just cannot! Another visit and not disappointed in any way. In the lovely hands of Natalie we knew our lunch was going to be perfect - and it was. If you have not eaten here yet we recommend you run all the way! From the Alice in Wonderland entrance with gorgeous lanterns adorning the walkway. Through to the romantic ambiance of the bar. Eat me chairs with fluffy cushions. A menu and wine list thinking of everyone near or far - indulge. Recommend, recommend, recommend.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

decided to go here after a recommendation from a local property agent, I have already thanked him for his advice on this one.
Glass of iced water on table on arrival, just like in the states, a good sign of detail with service.
opted for a selection of starters in order to get a real taste of the differing dishes they do, I much prefer doing that than loading up on a large main course that might not be the speciality of the house.
Bloody Mary oysters, crab beignets, skillet of mussels and corned beef parfait....and two bottles of Pinot Rose, all excellent.
was there with my wife on a business trip, I am super critical when out as I have bars and food units myself.
Cocktail waiter also had a great rapport with customers at the bar, waiting staff attentive, lighting perfect, and background music was in the background, not blasting out... even better.
Entrance is idyllic, a little glimpse into a secret garden type alleyway, you would miss it if you didn't know where it was.
if in Edinburgh come here, even if its only for a drink and snack, just don't come here and not visit. When something is good, you have let others know.
well done Montieths!

1  Thank britsailor
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I had an eggs benedict for lunch and it was really impressive! It could be the best eggs benedict i've ever had. We were the only table having lunch which was quite unfortunate because it should be a lot more crowded for the amazing food!

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I went there with a friend for lunch. It was quiet but most likely because it was still early. The staff was lovely. It took a while for the food to come but it was so worth the wait! I ordered a wild mushroom on toast and my friend ordered a portion of salmon egg benedict.

Would definitely make a return!