“The BEST Indian I've ever had”
Review of Kismot

Kismot
Ranked #81 of 2,700 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$16 - US$24
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Description: Wee Family run Indian and Bangladeshi restaurant.Mum and Dad cooking with the kids at the front of house.Bring your own bottle (no corkage charge, wine and beer only)Food cooked and served with alot of love and affection.Try our mums homestyle cooking chicken and lamb on the bone (what we have for dinner at home !) Dont forget the chocolate nan bread and other dishe's only available at our place my friends ! ! ! :)Open every day 4.30pm to 11.30pm
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This place is so good that we came back for a second dinner two nights after our first one. The menu is quite varied, including many veggie and vegan options. They are known for an extremely spicy curry, but our milder palates we're extremely satisfied. It's a small family business, which makes it even better. Mom and Dad cook and the younger generation serves, with the next generation in training. Don't pass this place by!!!

1  Thank Joan F
Write a ReviewReviews (2,174)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

From we arrived and were greeted by Abdul who is so enthusiastic and bubbling with energy we knew we were in for a great time. Seven of us attended at 7pm on a Saturday evening as part of my 50th birthday celebrations, none of us were brave enough to try "The Kismot Killer" but we were fortunate enough to be there when another diner tried it. Abdul put on the thumping WWF type music and donned a gas mask to bring the Killer out. After a heroic battle the curry won! We ordered more sensible choices all of which were served efficiently, hot, plentiful and tasty.The portions are large and no-one ate all of their food. The restaurant provide take away boxes for next day consumption. We even got to meet mum and dad who had been toiling away in the kitchen. Such a friendly family! Thank you and we will return!

1  Thank FatherTed1_7
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Visited at the weekend before going on a night out. Was able to get a table for me and my partner.

Again, very warm welcome, sat promptly and given menus (which this time were needed, we usually know exactly what we want, but might have fancied a change!)

We decided to go for -
Poppadoms, spicy onions, mint yoghurt to snack on before the main event of -
Chicken Rogan Josh, Veggie Saag, side of Jalfrezi sauce, plain naan and pilau rice.

We usually make the mistake of ordering too much, which is daft because we know the portions here are plentiful! But, the food is just so damn good, you'd be forgiven for stuffing yourself.

Usually, we would have a starter of their amazing chicken or veg pakora, but because we were going out, this would be enough.

It's bring your own bottle so a couple of beers were brought with us. Next door, you can grab a bottle or a carton of beer, but it's pricey in the pub so a trip to Tesco or Sainsbury nearby would be better.

Our food arrived in good time, and it was brilliant.

Poppadoms are always a great treat, and the spicy onions are nippy, but mellowed down with the mint yoghurt dip.

The Rogan Josh, mellow, flavourful, chicken was cooked to perfection.
The Saag was very tasty.
The Jal sauce was spicy (hence why I couldn't manage it as a main dish) but it's very very tasty. I have it on the days I don't go out afterwards lol.
Naan and rice very nice too.

Overall, I LOVE this place. The staff are lovely. The food is fantastic. I've never had bad food here ever, and we've been coming 6 years now.

I love you can see mum and dad cooking in the kitchen as well.

Definitely come here if you are a lover of curry and good food. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Lola H
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My friend and i had a meal here on Saturday night. Hadn't been before and was a really pleasant surprise. Reasonable prices and very tasty meal indeed.
The staff were great (especially the family son - sorry, forgot your name, who was very entertaining!).
Will definitely return!

3  Thank lawson163
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Ate at this place last night, great, delicious food. Staff helpful, cheerful and welcoming. Loved the opening music when the Kismot killer curry was delivered to a guy at a nearby table, waiter was wearing a gas mask ha!
Great place for groups too, well catered for!

3  Thank Audrey T