“Food Okay, Service Poor”
Review of Garfunkel's - CLOSED

Garfunkel's
Cuisines: American, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: With its sterling reputation, Garfunkel's serves a wonderfully eclectic mix of British and international cuisine. A simple yet on-trend eatery, Garfunkel's serves an array of diverse menus, from breakfast through to dinner. The afternoon tea selection presents a sophisticated range, as well as delectable desserts and gourmet coffees.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Food Okay, Service Poor”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We ate on 2 different occassions on our recent visit to Edinburgh having had such good experiences at the Garfunkel's in London. It is a shame the same can't be said for this one.

On our first visit we went for dinner, we were seated upstairs, ordered our food and drinks at the same time. I ordered a Homemade Pink Lemonade. It was the first time I had tried it and it was amazing. I also ordered the Spinach & Ricotta Canneloni and Garlic Bread and my partner ordered the Dirty Dog (hot dog with pulled pork topping).

We waited for around 20 minutes for our food. The waitress put my plate down on the table and it looked really nice, much like lasagne. As she put down my partners I looked at it and asked him 'is the pulled pork in there?' I couldn't see it. He looked and said no I don't think it is. So the waitress took it back into the kitchen. a good 5-10 minutes later she reappeared with the correct one this time. The food was fine however hot, I scalded my tongue. I know it's better to have hot food than cold food and I didn't complain however I do hate it when I get food that is just too hot! Both meals tasted ok but nothing special given the cost.

Having had an okay first experience, we decided to try again for breakfast which was served until 11.30am. We were seated downstairs this time. The restaurant was pretty much empty. There was one other table of people when we were seated who looked like they had just finished eating. I was super thirsty and decided to order the Homemade Pink Lemonade again. My partner ordered a pot of tea to go with his all day breakfast and I ordered the Pancake Stack with bacon. There were 2 members of staff working in the bar area, 2 serving and the manager floating about at the same time. During our waiting time the young male member of staff at the bar managed to spill a pint of milk all over himself and the floor.

We waited and waited and waited for our drinks and still they never came. I couldn't understand it. The place was quiet, there was plenty of staff. They just stood chatting about how drunk they were the night before! By the time our food came out which was after around 20 minutes, our drinks still hadn't made it to the table. As the waitress came over with our food she looked and noticed we didn't have drinks and apologised as she glared over to the two who were yapping at the bar. It was apparent that the two waitresses were the ones doing all of the work.

Finally they arrived 5 minutes after our food. The tea was missing sugar so my partner had to go up and ask for some.

This visit ensures that I probably won't visit Garfunkels on the Royal Mile again in any hurry. Given it's location and cost I expected better.The food was okay but sure not worth the price and the service was pretty crap for want of a better word. In the UK, we don't tend to tip like we do in America and expect that the price we pay covers not only the quality of the food but the service we receive. Had we just been paying for the food I wouldn't have minded so much, but they certainly wouldn't have received any tips from me! Think the management need to take a look at their staff and get them sorted out. I also can't help but think there's something not quite right about a restaurant like this being so empty all of the time... The devil is in the detail.

• Visited June 2014
Lauren B, Marketing Coordinator at Garfunkel's, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear MelissaLeslie

Thanks for your review following your recent visits to Garfunkels. We are disappointed to hear that our service was not up to standard, please accept our sincere apology for this. I will be sure to pass on the feedback and hope that we can use these points to improve both our food and service.

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Watford, England, United Kingdom
“Slower than an asthmatic ant with very heavy shopping bags.”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We ordered a stock breakfast with hot drinks to accompany it. Despite the restaurant not being busy, it took forty minutes for the drinks to appear, and another twenty for an unapologetic waitress with limited command of English to drop the plates on our table. Our drinks were empty by this point, so we asked for refills. Cue another godawful wait for someone to pour a pot of tea. It's genuinely not hard to figure out that customers require staff to serve them, and that a lack of staff means unhappy customers. This morning's debacle ensures I won't be returning. Though in fairness to the establishment, they were very quick at one thing, namely the delivery of our bill.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank M J
Lauren B, Marketing Coordinator at Garfunkel's, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear M J,

Please accept our sincere apology for the poor service recieved during your visit, this is not of our usual standard and I will be sure to pass the feedback on to our staff to ensure this doesnt happen again. We would really like to discuss the matter further, if you could please send your contact details on to the following email address that would be great: lauren.burns@trgplc.com

Grand Junction, Colorado
“Oasis after closing”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I found it odd that so many businesses close around 5 to 6 o'clock daily, that means restaurants too. Our bodies hadn't acclimated to the time change and we didn't look for food until about 8pm. The family restaurant was one of the few that stayed open to accommodate late appetites.

Visited June 2014
Dear ygraine0454,

Thank you for your review.

Its great to hear that we could accomodate you later at Garfunkel's, we hope you enjoyed your visit.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Great dinner out”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Very friendly staff and great atmosphere! The soup arrived cold but the drinks were ice cold and the salad bar was wonderful!

• Visited May 2014
Dear Ethan E,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Garfunkels. Its great to hear you enjoyed the visit in particular our salad bar. Please accept our apology for your cold soup, I hope this was compensated by the rest of your food and the efficientl, friendly service recieved.

Lausanne, Switzerland
“great for breakfast”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had breakfast here and enjoyed very much the vegetarian option. Everything was tasty and the service very good. We were especially happy to see that they served breakfast from early on, even on sundays, as we discovered several places not open till 10 or 11 am.

Visited May 2014
Hi Leila M

Thank you very much for your review.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed you recent breakfast experience at Garfunkels and hope you will visit again!