“Very, very pleasant”

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bruntsfield
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This was a very pleasant lunch for three adults. We each had something different, fish & chips, a Swiss cheese burger and an Italian dish. Followed by desserts and coffee, we were fully satisfied. The service was quietly efficient and the meal was reasonably priced. Even the weather was good and the side-walk tables and chairs were well used.

CafeGrandeEdin, Owner at Cafe Grande, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Bob S,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback, much appreciated. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed lunch & the staff done a good job, they're hard workers and always appreciate a pat on the back!
Glad you also got to enjoy some sun!!

Thanks again for the positive feedback, much appreciated by myself and the staff, look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 22 May 2018

I've been here for cappuccinos x2--both were excellent--full-bodied, just the right temp, with generous foam and sprinklings of chocolate. They also serve a 2 course dinner for 12+ GBP, which looked lovely on other diners' plates.

A couple of limitations--both times I've been there, their credit card machine has not been working, and they charge an extra 20p for decaf (my husband has to have). Otherwise, great coffee in a super neighborhood.

CafeGrandeEdin, Owner at Cafe Grande, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

Hi drkiki2015,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us positive feedback about our coffee it's much appreciated, thank you. Hopefully we can tempt you with dinner one evening!

I must apologise for the card machine, we have had issues with the unit itself recently, last Sunday and again at the start of this week, it is occasionally losing power for some reason and we are waiting on a replacement unit being sent out.

For the decaf coffee, it costs us 42% more than the regular beans we buy, unfortunately this extra cost has to be passed on to the customer as we are unable to absorb it, I hope you can understand our reasoning behind this.

Thanks again for leaving us nice feedback.

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

A late Saturday morning breakfast in this lovely little cafe. The restaurant was very busy but we got “squeezed in” which was great - may be worth phoning to make a reservation.
Lovely friend,y service

CafeGrandeEdin, Owner at Cafe Grande, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Hi EME,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us positive feedback, much appreciated by myself & the staff. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, hopefully it wasn't too tight a squeeze!

Thanks again, hope to see you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 April 2018

Met up with friends for a meal and didn't have particularly high expectations for an evening meal in a Café but was very pleasantly surprised. The place did have a Café feel about it but that is where the Café ended and the restaurant took over.

Service from the staff was excellent and the food was excellent too. Gluten free was well catered for with the Chicken burger served on toasted bread which was a delight after many poor quality 'gluten free burger buns' that have been poor to dreadful elsewhere. All 5 of us had a really good meal and portion sizes were decent and good value for money given the location.

Would definitely recommend for an evening meal with friends and family and you don't need to empty the bank to have a really decent 2 or 3 course meal. We will be back in short order.

CafeGrandeEdin, Owner at Cafe Grande, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Hi thelangtoon,

Thanks very much for taking the time to leave us positive feedback, it's much appreciated by myself and the team. Great to hear you enjoyed your visit and the food, Chef could not find a good quality gluten free bun which is why we've gone with the toasted bread, glad to hear it's well received.
Thanks again for taking the time to leave us your feedback, looking forward to welcoming you back in future for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Reviewed 8 April 2018

I go past here all the time and it's already busy. We came on a Saturday and it wasn't even half filled. We were seated. Waited 10 minutes on someone coming to take our order. In this time the 'regulars' who sat at the table next to us had an order taken and delivered. The drinks came which were nice and then the waitress brought out my partners egg asking me if I'd ordered anything. A bit unprofessional. Considering it wasn't busy and it was a simple order (orange juice, Americano, scone & eggs) it should have been easy.
Wouldn't go back.

CafeGrandeEdin, Owner at Cafe Grande, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hi Vicky L,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I hope you can accept my apologies for your experience on Saturday, sounds like there has been some mistakes with the order process on our part. I did have a fairly new team member working with me that morning, whilst it is not fair to blame that person it may have had a bearing on the mix up, I can only apologise for this, you're correct it should have been an easy order for us to get right particularly on a quieter morning. I'm sorry I never got the chance to solve this issue during your visit.
I'm glad you enjoyed the drinks, I hope you will reconsider and give us another chance one day.
Thanks again for the feedback.