“Cheap but long time waiting”
Review of Elephant House

Elephant House
Ranked #60 of 70 Dessert in Edinburgh
Cuisines: French, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Went here as partner is a harry potter nerd (im not cant stand it) so he was super excited to go. Stood in the queue to be seated for a good 20 mins, finally got seated and spent another 15 mins-ish waiting before service came, which was reasonably quick once ordered. He got a mocha which was nice and had a cute elephant on the top, I had earl grey tea which is leaf tea (never had leaf tea before) but it was all good, came with soya milk as requested for mine, sadly none of the food was vegan friendly (only asked due to allergies and intolerance) and he didnt want anything if I couldnt have anything (hes not vegan tho) fair enough. The toilets stunk of urine, they were worse than public loos which was disgusting. We drank up and left, was reasonably priced but would recommend first thing, last thing or pre-booking a table or you will be standing forever and only if youre interested in overpriced merchandise, long waiting times and smelly toilets.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,355)

Reviewed 26 June 2018

I was very excited to visit the Elephant House, much like any Harry Potter fan might be. I kept my mind open to the restaurant and what type of food they might serve. Nevertheless, I was disappointed in the disposition of the staff, the quality of the food for the price I paid, the accuracy of the food, and the ambiance.
I could see how the restaurant has its charms, but they weren't for me. Mediocre service and food, in sum.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

If you love Harry Potter, and want to sit where J K Rowling began the magic, Elephant House is perfect. It has gorgeous views of the Castle and the loos are quite something with the amount of HP graffiti going on. Unfortunately the food is really nothing special, and quite expensive for what it is. If you're going to pop in, I would suggest grab a cake and coffee vs a meal. The service wasn't great - but they have no fear of ever becoming unpopular, perhaps this has contributed to the attitude. Shame.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

I went there for a lunch and I tried Haggis, neeps and tatties (and I liked!). The place is very popular because of its association with Harry Potter´s author.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Any good Harry Potter fan knows this is the place Rowling herself cooked up the magnificent work of novels now know worldwide. You'll find many fans hanging about taking pictures but, if you can look past them and actually sit down to a table you'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality of pastries and coffee.

My sister and I sampled the orange glazed chickoate cake, a shortbread cookie, and a traditional Scottish cranachan. The latte and flat white we're just as they should be and all was right with the world that afternoon. Short walk from Victoria St and Greyfriars Bobby. Perfect little spot for a break.