“Quaint library down a close”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Scottish Poetry Library
Ranked #243 of 449 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The SPL is one of three poetry libraries in the UK, but the only one to be independently constituted and housed, with a collection that covers 45,000 items. It is the only poetry house in the world to have an extensive lending library at its core. It is housed in an award-winning building. A magical experience for anyone interested in Scotland's literature.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children
Reviewed 7 May 2017

Quaint library of poetry both in english and gaelic, very helpful staff and a gift shop that has lovely different gifts both scottish and poetry based. Worth a visit even to take a rest out of the hustle and bustle of the mile.

Reviewed 21 August 2016

The Scottish Poetry Library has been recently refurbished, and it is now easier to move around as much better use appears at first sight to have been made of space. The library also makes good use of available light, giving it a brighter, fresher feel. However, there is one big flaw. I read poetry weekly at a folk club, and I spent an enjoyable half hour choosing poets that I know are popular with our members and visitors alike. When I took four books to the receptionist, I was told that two of them "were for reference only" and not available for borrowing. The receptionist was pleasant and helpful, and we reached an amicable compromise. In fact, I felt that it was unfortunate from her point of view in having to tell people that they couldn't borrow certain books. Why on earth place reference works on the same shelves as books for borrowing? Why on earth embarrass your customers? I can't recall ever having visited a library, our local library included, where reference works were not placed separately from books for lending. I can't see that it is a space issue - after all, keeping reference books separately would still involve the same number of books. Pity, because it took a lot of the pleasure out of my visit.

Reviewed 12 August 2016

Nipped in whilst in Edinburgh for The Fringe. Was shown round this excellent building by Colin who explained the background and ethos of the library. It's a fascinating place which I hope to visit again soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2016

A little hard to find but well worth the visit....a modern structure but well laid out.....we enjoyed the children's section and found poems we had learned from our youth.