“fantastic city”
Review of Edinburgh

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Neighbourhoods
Neighbourhoods
Barnsley, United Kingdom
71 helpful votes
“fantastic city”
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Historic beautiful buildings, great nightlife, great vibe, good shopping and lovely scenery in surrounding countryside.

Great place to visit

Wexford
“A special favourite of mine”
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Just returned from a 5-day trip to Edinburgh, Scotland, with friends. We were most fortunate with the weather and believe we saw this beautiful city at its very best.
It is a relatively compact city, and is so well laid out it is quite easy to find your way around. The local buses are frequent, spotlessly clean, with the most friendly and helpful bus drivers I have ever come across!
The museum is a family affair with something for everyone - it includes many artifacts and stories from the past as well as "discovery" sections that encourage the minds and imagination of both young and old. There are 5 floors to this museum but we only managed to complete 2 floors on this visit in 3 hours!
While the castle is justifiably famous and is a must on everyone's itinerary, I strongly recommend a visit to the Royal Britannia Yacht berthed a short bus ride away from the city (bus no. 35). A truly splendid insight into Royal life aboard in conjunction with an honest portrayal of the crew's life and living conditions. You can enjoy an afternoon cup of tea on board in the beautiful on-board Royal Cafe. Don't forget to buy some fudge that is made in the ship's own galley - It is gorgeous and I am sorry I didn't buy more of it!
Two members of our group went further north on a 2-day trip to Loughness and the surrounding countryside. Their reports were full of historical facts about the heritage of the Scots and while I am sure some of the information was accurate, I am also sure there was a bit of the "Gaelic" charm and amusement mixed in. Either way, they had a wonderful 2 days and we thoroughly enjoyed their tales.
It is no wonder that JK Rowling was inspired by this wonderful city especially when you see the Herriott School on which her books are reputedly based. Even if you are not interested in Harry Potter, when you look up at this building you can almost "feel" Hogworts oozing from its walls! Just around the corner from the school is the cafe in which she used to sit for hours writing.
Edinburgh is a very special place indeed. With is magnificant buildings, facinating history, spectacular views, and most pleasant people, it is difficult not to want to return sometime in the near future. Enjoy!

New South Wales
6 helpful votes
“MAC TOURS EDINBURGH - NOT VALUE FOR MONEY.”
Reviewed 27 May 2010

My wife and I were unlucky enough to select Mac Tours out of all the hop on hop off bus tours in Edinburgh. The performance of the guide verged on insultingly rude and the tour itself was certainly not worth the money that we paid. My wife and I were the only passengers on the bus and were sitting adjacent to the guide, who avoided any human contact and provided a lack luster half hearted performance during the tour. At one stage the guide acknowledged us by stating "you Americans like that!" Unfortunately her ability to accurately identify accents matched her performance as a guide. I'm Australian and my wife is English. Luckily in the three weeks that we were in the United Kingdom this was the only disappointing experience. I would never waste my money on the Mac tour nor recommend it to anyone,

2 Thank samnadl
REading
“My trip to Scotland”
Reviewed 25 May 2010

Monday 18th May 2010 - Highland Experience Tour - Best of the West Driver - Michael If you want to see dramatic scenery and travel through the Trossacks then this is the tour for you. We left Edinburgh at 8.00am and travelled to Glasgow to pick up the other tour members. Whilst on route to Glasgow the tour operator gave us lot of information regarding the area. We picked up the rest of the tour in Glasgow and made our way. Our first stop was St Connans Church where there it is said to have a bone of Robert the Bruce. At Loch Lomond we stopped Luss which is like a chocolate box village. We then proceeded to Loch Awe and then onto Oban for lunch, I had the best fish and chips ever. We then stopped at Inverary and they have an amazing old fashioned sweet shop, we then made our way home via Loch Lomond. The driver was very knowledgeable of all the areas visited. The driver very kindly dropped us off at our hotel as it was on route to Edinburgh town centre. I would thoroughly recommend both the company and the tour. Highland Experience is located on the Royal Mile near parliament square.

Cleveland, Ohio
219 helpful votes
“Edinburgh...a beautiul, magical place”
Reviewed 17 May 2010

How did I forget to rate Edinburgh after my trip there last summer? It is one of my favorite places in the world. It is a beautiful, clean city with very friendly people. There is so much to see, so much history, so many places to go and explore. I want to go back. Edinburgh is one of those cities I felt right at home--like I do in Paris and Toronto. All of the castles are a must see.
The docents (wardens--they call them) are all consistently nice.
The Rosslyn Chapel is a quick bus ride out of town and well worth seeing. Other than in Ireland and in Halifax, I have never encountered so many friendly and nice people. The public transportation is great--frequent--fast--cheap. Where have you ever seen people thank a bus driver when they exit? They do here! Fans of "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" will be thrilled to visit her neighborhood (Morningside) and the historic cemetery where she and her gels met up with Teddy Lloyd. Excellent (free) art museum, the National Gallery (Scottish history) wonderful and you must visit High Kirk of St. Giles. (Those of you who are observant will note the kirk is right across the street from the fictional Marcia Blaine School for Girls.) Shopping is great here too. Edinburgh is an hour's plane ride from London so is a perfect accompanying trip to that fun city. Don't miss Edinburgh! History, magic and mystery await around every corner!

Been to Edinburgh? Share your experiences!