“Good basic hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 9 Falkirk B&B and Inns
Lockerbie, United Kingdom
“Good basic hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Good basic hotel in handy location. Car park at back. Handy for town centre and local tourist amenities (The Kelpies, The Falkirk Wheel). Cheeriest, friendliest staff you could wish for. Nothing fancy, but just right for the 2 day trip we had in the area. Rooms at the back are quite quiet, possible traffic noise from the road towards the front.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back quiet. Possible road noise from the rooms at the front.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AGS957

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Falkirk, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

My friend and i went here for lunch. Had been here before and enjoyed our meal reason why we went back, but don't think we will be back again. We chose the two course lunch. I chose the pate' which was tasteless thank goodness for the onion chutney to give it a bit of taste. My friend had the soup which was half a bowl. My main course was fish and chips the fish was like a fish finger done in batter three bites and it was gone. My friend had the steak pie which looked like an individual steak pie cut in half and she got the half!!!! The only good thing i can say from this visit is the staff are very nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Falkirk hotels

Stirling
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We just turned up on the off chance that we would get a table on a Friday and were showed to a table straight away. Great start.
The waiting staff were very attentive but not intrusive, another tick in the check list. They were very patient while I debated what to have.
I chose a prawn cocktail to start, which came minus the usual cocktail glass, another tick and a nice change. First niggle was that they didn't provide any butter for the bread that accompanied it and the Balsamic reduction they used was a little but too overpowering for the dish. This may be me being picky, but the prawn cocktail was great otherwise.
For main I chose a Pasta Carbonara. When it came I was a little disappointed as for £11 I would have expected more on the plate. But although the pasta was a little thick for my liking, it was definitely homemade and the sauce and bacon were perfect. My husband chose the loaded burger which contained a burger a chicken breast, bacon and cheese. He said that all the meat items were overcooked and dry and that spoiled it for him.
As he had declined on a starter he asked if I would share a dessert with him. He went for the sharing Chocolate Explosion. This was advertised on the menu as containing fudge Cake, Vanilla Ice cream, Strawberries, Marshmallows, Chocolate Mousse, Chocolate Sauce and cream. Yummy you're saying?? Well it would have been but there were no signs of the Fudge cake, strawberries, Marshmallow or Chocolate Mousse. What we did get was a big chunk of Millionaire shortcake surrounded by Ice cream, chocolate chips and very over whipped cream. Wouldn't have minded this so much if we had been told of the changes but was disappointed because it was not what we expected and it was £10 for the dessert all bar 5p.

It was a lovely restaurant, candlelit tables were very conducive to a date night. But it let itself down a little with the food and everything was overpriced, My husband only had diet coke as he was driving and they were charging £2.50 a bottle. And another observation was the menu only seemed to have 2 or 3 British dishes on it. It seems to be geared up to International dishes.

And for this reason alone we will probably not go again, but a nice quiet night out was had.

Room Tip: Don't go here if you want British food. If you like Fajitas and pasta and curries etc, this is t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wilkinwonder
Falkirk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I have been here several times for a meal, but this is the first time I have finally wrote a review. I have never had a bad meal or a bad experience here. I always love the food, the atmosphere and the service is fabulous! On Hogmanay, it was just as good as always. Great way to our start to Hogmanay. Will be there again very soon.

• Stayed December 2013
Morecambe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

We stayed at the Orchard Hotel for 2 nights 29th & 30th November and would recommend this hotel to anyone. Our bedroom was basic but for £40pn it was a bargain. The staff could not do enough for us and were very attentive. The bar & restaurant were lively and the food was very good. Breakfast was included and we both had hearty plates. Will definitely stay here again when we next visit Falkirk.

Room Tip: Rooms furthest from the lively bar would be best.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank JamesDonaldson3
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

I'm self employed and work away a lot so hotels are often a begrudged expense out of my profit so I often chose the cheapest to get my head down.

What appealed to me about the orchard was the price.

Don't let this put you off.

I arrived at 3am as I was working nights and was greeted by the night porter who was happy to serve me a couple of pints without feeling I was inconveniencing him.

The room was basic and very clean, all I need really, tea/coffee and decent shower.

Room included breakfast and I was worried I'd miss it as I didn't intend to vacate room till midday.

Not a problem, one of the girls made a note for the maids to leave me alone till midday and I could have a full breakfast in the restaurant at midday. Fantastic service!!!

Got down to bar at 1230 and was offered a large freshly ground coffee and the breakfast menu.

Scottish breakfast and other options looked good but I had the 'Residents Breakfast' 2 sausage, bacon, 2 eggs, toast, beans and mushrooms.
Where I'm from you'd get charged £10 for a breakfast of this size and quality!! It was included in the price.

All in all a fantastic place for the money and compliments to the night porter and waitress/bar staff.

Excellent job.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank WiggyMids
Burnley, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Very very clean and comfortable. Well worth the money I paid on late rooms. Full Scottish breakfast in the morning was superb. Fast WiFi also and staff seem really freindly. As it was a sat night I was expecting the room to be really loud.... but some of the rooms are in a different complex from the main bar. So I didn't hear a squeak all night. So if u are booking deffo worth asking if you can be put in that complex. Well worth a visit!!! Will deffo stay again and recondmend to any friends.

• Stayed November 2013
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falkirk
Premier Inn Falkirk Central Hotel
#9 of 10 in Falkirk
Grange Manor
Grange Manor
#2 of 4 in Grangemouth

Been to Orchard Hotel? Share your experiences!