“First class”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hideaway

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dunfermline
The Hideaway
Ranked #6 of 25 Dunfermline B&B and Inns
“First class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

First time here since new owners took over this establishment and very impressed. Warm, friendly greeting was good first impression. I had steak pie and my wife the Yorkshire pudding. The meat was delicious and cooked to perfection as were the chips, potatoes and veg. Followed this up with vanilla cheesecake (best ever and the sauce was to die for) while my wife had the sticky toffee pudding which she is still raving about. All home cooked and well worth the waiting time for it being cooked from scratch. Two 2 course meals, 3 pints of bitter, a martini and a blackcurrant water which was not charged for (nice touch) cost £41. Well worth every penny. Toilets were spotless and we were offered the chance to relax in comfy sofas while we finished our drinks. First class.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1952robert1959

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

This restaurant has been opened and closed so many times we had just given up on this establishment. However we learned that it had reopened and as it was still open 6 months later we decided to give it a try after a friend had been and they had thoroughly enjoyed the food.

We were late in getting there for lunch it was almost closing at 2.15 pm but nonetheless they served us a first class meal. The whole meal was delicious - the scampi was gorgeous and the chips homemade - (always a good sign for my husband). The other dish was macaroni with fresh cooked vegetables and chips. The meals were so freshly made it was like eating at home when I do the cooking!

The service was first class and friendly and the new decor inside and out looks so much better. A much better restaurant to go to - just what Dunfermline needs a decent place to take friends to. Its back to being a really good place to go.

Room Tip: This place is only a restaurant now so no rooms available
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dodonthetrains
Edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

Decided to try the Hideaway again for dinner now that it has changed hands. First impressions were a little downbeat with car park very potholed and walls and general surroundings in poor repair, though the restaurant itself was quite busy. Inside it's clear that it has been given a quick tarting up to the decor with thick coats of emulsion everywhere and a rather smelly gentlemans' toilet. Rather surprisingly although we had booked a table well ahead we were shown to a corner of the lounge bar where my wife had to sit rather uncomfortably on the bench along the wall - fine for a morning coffee but not very pleasant for a relaxed evening meal.
Service was excellent with the owner much in evidence serving and his wife (I'm told) busy in the kitchen. The Spanish (?) waiter was perhaps a bit too agressive in his insistence on what we should eat or drink but you couldn't fault the speed of service.
The food was served in rather a pub-type way with everything already on the plate rather than in separate dishes so too bad if there was anything you didn't like or wanted to share. Starters were fairly standard though (as in general) expensive. Maincourse cooking was very good - as ordered and with the vegetables just right, neither rock hard nor mushy. The portions were fine for my wife who isn't a big eater but I was left feeling that I wanted more with very small portions of vegetables in particular. Poor value for money in my estimation. Tea and coffee were served from a Starbucks-style machine (so just the one cup and no top-up). No choice over strength etc. and at double the price of Starbucks for a third of the quantity definitely well overpriced.
I'm a beer-, not a wine-drinker and there is a Hobson's choice of a single beer (Ok though). Choice of wine by the glass is very restricted.
Prices were on the high side of eye-watering for this class of restaurant and a 2-course dinner with drinks and coffees came in at over £60 which I feel is well overpriced. I'd recommend the food, but don't go if you are hungry and expect to pay the kind of prices you'd find in the best of local hotels. On balance I wouldn't go back again.

Room Tip: The Hideaway no longer offers accommodation.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JoshuaEdinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

i would recommend the hideaway as it is a really nice restaurant.great atmosphere and the staff are very attentative.make sure you have everything you need.great place and great people.its a real treat.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank dior10
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Tuesday Lunch with the family. Was interesting to see what the new owner had done with the place and menu. The food could not be faulted. Menu was like a bar menu ie: fish n chips, steak pie, scampi etc. We had all of these and all were delicious big portions. One of us had homemade soup for starter which was lentil with loads of ham in mmmmmm fab! Puddings were really tasty and homemade. Really tasty. Value for money for meal? Maybe a tad overpriced by a pound or so per meal but if locally sought and homemade it is well worth it. Would def return for lunch but due to the evening menu being a grill menu probably not in the evening. Not for the vegetarian.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kerrywinsborough
kelty
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

My wife and I visited the hideaway last night. We were delighted with service quality and quantity of food.
I had a steak which was cooked to perfection and my wife had fish again cooked to perfection and obviously fresh.
The owner and staff were very pleasant and helpful, I would recommend the Hideaway to anyone wanting a properly cooked meal at a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank charles h
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

Decided to re-visit to find out what the new resaturant was like.I did check previous reviews but always like to make my own mind up,so not relying on either the bad or good reviews i did decide to go along and judge for myself.On entering there was a very slight damp smell but due to the building being closed for a long time and only recently opened I did think this wasnt to bad.I was asked to pick any table I wanted and was given the menu's quickly.(I was on a lunch hour so was happy if this was how quick it was going to be)..Very quiet for a Friday 1.15pm lunch hour but put that down to the place only recently being opened.When I looked at the menu my 1st initial reaction was quite expensive,however if the food was of good quality and plentiful this wasnt an issue.I chose the fish n chips £9.95(for my companion who hadnt yet arrived) and a pork salad £8.95..I did feel i had to wait a substanial amount of time given that it was almost empty but as it was freshly prepared I over looked this.However,when the meals came i was bitterly dissapointed.Value for money it was not!!! One piece of fish and not a lot of chips...The salad was what it said on the tin...a salad but at almost £9.00 I did expect more.As I eat out at least 3-4 times a week I do have a lot of experiences to compare upon..When asked by the waiter was everything okay I did voice my opinion on how small the portions were to the cost..I gave an example of getting more on the plate for half the price at the local Brewers fayre...To which he became very aggressive and started to argue with me saying he worked in the brewers fayre and that the fish wasnt the same as what was served at the hideaway...(I had only used this as an example but i could have chosen to compare with another 5/6 restaurants in the area)... I was deeply embarrased and was quite shocked at his response.he argued with me for over 2mins,which in a quiet almost empty restaurant it did seem to go on and on....i told him he asked for my opinion and that there was no need to argue with me when I gave him an answer he didnt like, he responded by saying I only work here I will tell the owner...The owner did pass 3 or 4 times after this and only approached the table to ask was the plates finished.When my companion asked if he was the owner,he did say yes.She told him how unprofessional his staff memeber had been, but to be honest he was just as bad..He did not take the criticism well..pointed out it was fresh fish which i replied i'd hope it was, considering the price...argued that we were the only people to say it was not "value for money" and spoke over us.Was not happy" I didnt like the food".....this was never the case.i only said the cost for what was put down in front of me was not good..nothing about the taste,that by the way, was very mediocre....I found him to be very rude and again was very embarrassed.I am just glad the restaurant wasnt busy>i quickly stood up,asked for the bill and will never return again as long as it is under such a narrow minded owner..If he does not do something either with the portion size or cost the restaurant will soon close again..Not a good experience for a nice lunch out with my mother...I am so upset and will pass on my views to friends and family....If you want a good experience,value for money and nice food...DONT GO HERE...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Tracy000Glasgow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunfermline
Premier Inn Dunfermline Hotel
Davaar House Hotel and Restaurant
Struan Bank Hotel
Struan Bank Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cowdenbeath

Been to The Hideaway? Share your experiences!