“OAP on nightshift reception was awful.”
Review of The City Hotel

The City Hotel
Ranked #4 of 26 Dunfermline B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Stayed here in June. Young Lady on reception couldn't have been more helpful when we arrived, hotel was nice and clean staff were very friendly. After arriving back from a function there was this rather rude ignorant old man on reception, don't know if he'd been drinking however his manner was disgraceful and he had the most terrible B. O. I think he was a bit of a Jobsworth trying to rule the guests while there was no management around to see the way he was talking to customers. He ruined my night. Needless to say I won't be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The City Hotel

Reviewed 2 August 2013

First time staying here
Amazing location - near the glen and the chip shop .... and lots of great shops.
Great breakfast.
Comfortable bed and probably the cleanest hotel ever.
Staff friendly.
Charming restaurant highlights local history.
Simply superb and highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I booked this hotel last minute via a price comparison site. the room was booked and my confirmation issued and emailed to me at around 4pm. About 5pm I received an email from reception saying they did not have a room for me. I contacted the comparison site and the hotel and an offer was made at the Hotel's sister hotel, albeit 6 miles away in another town. The whole point of booking the room was so I could leave my car to enjoy my evening out.
When I said this was not suitable, I was told this was the only option. I asked to speak to a manger and was told that there was not any managers nor duty managers on duty but somebody would get back to me. Despite my continual pressing, the hotel manager never actually responded until 20:56. Only to tell me there was nothing they could do and that I should understand that 'IT errors do occur'. So I would love to review this hotel but they had no interest in providing me with a room or any kind of service. Surely it does not take almost 5 hours to investigate and get back to me?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Grievesydee
Reviewed 17 July 2013

stayed for 2 nights over the weekend 13/14 july in order to attend a friends wedding nearby. on arrival at the hotel i was greeted with a warm and friendly welcome. i stayed in executive room 3 and it was perfect. luvly sized bed, very comfortable, nice sized bathroom and very clean. after checking in and unpacking, i then ate at the Weavers restaurant, the food was delicious and very reasonably priced.
in the morning, there was a wide variety on offer for breakfast, all of which was wonderful.
the staff over the weekend were very friendly and courteous. would definitely stay again if i have the opportunity to visit Dunfermline.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in order to attend a friend's wedding close by. On arrival we were treated very warmly and efficiently booked in. We stayed in room 15 which was an executive room, clean, large and very comfortable bed. On the first night we ate in the Weavers restaurant......excellent service and great food, very reasonably priced too! Breakfast was also excellent as was the service again on both mornings.
I would definitely recommend staying here!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Called in around 2pm on a Saturday for a bar lunch. The place was not very busy which tells a tale. Seated in a nice airy room with big picture windows overlooking the car park. The table was not cleaned from the previous occupants so our waiter took the place mats away then returned 5 minutes later to wipe the table top crumbs into our laps. Only about 85% of the table top though, he stopped short of the end!
My wife ordered the chilli con carne and I went for the 10oz rib eye steak, rare.
The food was served fairly quickly, but my steak was brought out on a sizzling plate, still cooking. It arrived at the table quite rare, but the waitress then went off to get my dinner plate, vegetables, chips and whisky sauce. By the time she arrived back with this my steak was medium to well done, cooking away on the sizzling plate, and until the waitress came back I had nowhere to put it to prevent it cooking, other than spearing it with my knife and holding it dangling above the table!
Despite that it was a nice tender piece of steak. The whisky sauce had the faintest of whisky flavours, they must have just wafted it past the bottle. It was a generous portion but very, very rich and creamy.The carrots and string beans were served on a cold side plate and had rapidly cooled.
My wife's chilli was - in her own words - a bit "cornmeal"? Basically it was ok, spicy enough for her but nothing spectacular.
One beer, one soft drink and a bill for just under £25 so quite reasonable for a city centre hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2013

When I rang the hotel 2 months ahead to make a booking, the receptionist said they only had one double room which was small and ... She was obviously not out to sell that room. When I went online, they had lots of rooms so we chose an Executive Room. We got room 31. The Scottish interpretation of "executive" is obviously a room with one 1 metre by 0.5 metre window set 2 metres above floor level offering only a view of the sky and roofs, where there is only one chair (for the executive to hold his meetings), no table (to hold important papers), where a large part of the floor space is taken by a stairway leading to a locked door. Not to be repeated @ £75 a night

Room Tip: Check out the room before accepting and moving in.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple