“Wouldn't, recommend”

Ranked #3 of 25 Dunfermline B&B and Inns
edinburgh
“Wouldn't, recommend”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights and the hotel is in need of a complete refurbish although it is an old hotel the decor leaves a lot to be desired we were allocated room 21 which is up in the attic the roof slants into the room and unless careful you would knock yourself out the decor was deplorable with peeling paper and damp patches very old fashioned furniture and the bed sunk in the middle with old fashioned blankets on the bed. Had a fairly large bathroom but the sink was tiny and horrible smell coming up the shower drain. To be perfectly honest we couldn't, wait to leave. On a positive note the staff were nice and friendly and the breAkfast was nice with good service. I stayed there before about 6 years ago and we were on the first floor where the rooms were a bit better. Don't think we will be returning

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank jambofan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Mornington Peninsula, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights & found the service and the standard of rooms to be first class. The food, including breakfast was also great. Location was close to public transport which we used to commute to Edinburgh for the Fringe & Tattoo. All in all, one of the better places we've stayed on this trip.

• Stayed August 2013
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We had a very enjoyable high tea at The City, fine for going to Theatre.
This is the second time we have been.
Price very reasonable, staff very helpfull, pleasant setting, enjoyed by all.
We will definitely book again when visiting Dumfermilne.

Room Tip: We never stayed over
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank depp7
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Stayed here in June. Young Lady on reception couldn't have been more helpful when we arrived, hotel was nice and clean staff were very friendly. After arriving back from a function there was this rather rude ignorant old man on reception, don't know if he'd been drinking however his manner was disgraceful and he had the most terrible B. O. I think he was a bit of a Jobsworth trying to rule the guests while there was no management around to see the way he was talking to customers. He ruined my night. Needless to say I won't be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Dunfermline hotels

Bournemouth
Reviewed 2 August 2013

First time staying here
Amazing location - near the glen and the chip shop .... and lots of great shops.
Great breakfast.
Comfortable bed and probably the cleanest hotel ever.
Staff friendly.
Charming restaurant highlights local history.
Simply superb and highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dundee
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I booked this hotel last minute via a price comparison site. the room was booked and my confirmation issued and emailed to me at around 4pm. About 5pm I received an email from reception saying they did not have a room for me. I contacted the comparison site and the hotel and an offer was made at the Hotel's sister hotel, albeit 6 miles away in another town. The whole point of booking the room was so I could leave my car to enjoy my evening out.
When I said this was not suitable, I was told this was the only option. I asked to speak to a manger and was told that there was not any managers nor duty managers on duty but somebody would get back to me. Despite my continual pressing, the hotel manager never actually responded until 20:56. Only to tell me there was nothing they could do and that I should understand that 'IT errors do occur'. So I would love to review this hotel but they had no interest in providing me with a room or any kind of service. Surely it does not take almost 5 hours to investigate and get back to me?

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Grievesydee
Reviewed 17 July 2013

stayed for 2 nights over the weekend 13/14 july in order to attend a friends wedding nearby. on arrival at the hotel i was greeted with a warm and friendly welcome. i stayed in executive room 3 and it was perfect. luvly sized bed, very comfortable, nice sized bathroom and very clean. after checking in and unpacking, i then ate at the Weavers restaurant, the food was delicious and very reasonably priced.
in the morning, there was a wide variety on offer for breakfast, all of which was wonderful.
the staff over the weekend were very friendly and courteous. would definitely stay again if i have the opportunity to visit Dunfermline.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends