“Spotless Environs Convenient to the Train”

Auld Mill House Hotel
Ranked #20 of 24 Dunfermline B&B and Inns
Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
“Spotless Environs Convenient to the Train”
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I have accompanied my husband on business trips, and generally attempt to find places to stay within walking distance of the train. The Auld Mill House Hotel was a pleasant surprise with very easy access to the Queen Margaret Dunfermline Train Station.
You can actually see the train station from the hotel, but you need to walk to the street and around the block to actually access the station.
But let me just say that this place offers far more than train convenience. I booked online, through the owner, contacting her through the facebook page. The rate was unbelievably reasonable, but I was concerned about what to expect since the hotel appeared to be attached to a pub.
Well, there is a small restaurant in the building, but the only people who I saw in it were the patrons in the hotel. Alana checks early in the day to see if you'll want dinner in the restaurant, and she made us up a fresh meal that was really quite tasty. There are many beers on tap available, as well as a full bar.
But let's get to the important part. The room was reasonably large. It had two twin beds, both of which had comfortable mattresses. Hardwood floors, and a relatively new bathroom. Everything in the room was spotless.
The towels were large and comfy and were changed daily. The bathroom was large as well, and complete with a corner cabinet to store your personal items in.
The shower is one of those electric ones that I've yet to get used to. But it worked, and the water was hot.
There was no shampoo....just body wash which was supposed to suffice for both, but I merely walked into town and picked myself up a bottle which was no issue.
We had no problem with heat in the room. It worked just fine.
The view out the back was of a hill, but you could watch birds fluttering around outside.

There was a small gap between the door and the wall, so the hall noise could not be shut out. But, generally, people just went to their rooms and stayed in for the night. We didn't notice any loud voices or televisions from the other rooms while we were in ours for the night.

Breakfast was in a room next to the restaurant. We had porridge in the morning, which was made to order. There was a fresh fruit salad each morning, along with yogurt and cereals if you wanted them. Hot cooked breakfast as well, with toast. I had eggs one morning and they tasted fabulous! Juice, tea or coffee.
There is a large parking lot just outside the building, far from the street. The street from the main road to the hotel is full of potholes, just to give you fair warning.
The people who run the place were welcoming and they made every attempt to assure that we were comfortable.
I would highly recommend the Auld Mill House Hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are probably quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank geismom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I have stayed here many times over many years . It is a family run hotel and is
always my first choice when I am in the area. I always receive a warm and friendly welcome
from staff,proprietors and locals in the bar.
The food is good quality and generous portions. Rooms are clean and tidy. There is also a
bar in the building with reasonable prices.
It can be a bit noisy if there is a function on but thats not the end of the world.
I often recommend The Auld Mill House to any one going that way.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Evz68
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Found the aiuld mill extremely friendly clean and comfortable would definitely go back and would recommend to friends and family

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank maggi1973
Fife
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Have eaten here many times in the past, and since I hadn't been for over a year I was looking forward to it. Used to be large portions of tasty, home-cooked food.

A little disappointed this time. Had to wait nearly 45 minutes for a table despite having reserved one. This may explain why the starter was dry (haggis). The main course was alright but overall it just didn't live up to previous experiences.
Hopefully just a blip.
Also, a word of warning, the condition of the driveway down to the hotel is shocking. Many potholes and bumps, although I see some of the ones nearer the bottom have been repaired. The fact it's so 'out of the way' also detracts from the atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank do_the_fandango
Auldmillhousehotel, Owner at Auld Mill House Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Hello,

we are sorry to hear your last visit was a negative experience, it probably had to do with the fact my mother (the owner) had been diagnosed with terminal cancer and we had to employ a chef as i had to care for my mum. We later realised that having someone else cook for us was was not working out, and we let them go, we felt the best thing to do at the time was to close the restaurant.

My Mum has since passed away and we are now in the process of re-establishing ourselves. We have great plans for the future and made a lot of changes. We hope that you will find it in your heart to return and discover that we have certaily moved onwards and upwards.

The restaurant is currenlty operating on booking only basis, but it is the same standard of food and service that we have produced year after year since we opened in 2000.

we would like to thank you for your comments and hope see you again in the future.
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My husband,myself and 2 friends booked for the Valentine Special as my friends had received a flyer through their door and we thought it sounded good.
First impression however was a run down hotel that badly needs some TLC-the diningroom has awful wooden floors and the place just looked like a church hall.
We were then told that the entertainment had been cancelled because the singer's daughter was ill /he had a sore throat
The waitress was pleasant but not very attentive as we had to ask to order wine.
The food however was excellent in fact the steak was one of the best we had tasted in a long time!
I feel its a shame that this hotel doesn't get its act together and try a better image because if it could do this with the quality of food they serve they would be onto a winner.

Pamela North Queensferry.

Room Tip: Didn't stay the night so can't comment
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank zaza5
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Have stayed here for 3 or 4 nights, 3 times over the last 5 weeks for business in 2 different rooms.
Rooms were clean and warm, bedding and towels changed daily.
Food is plentiful and well cooked, lovely full breakfasts and I can recommend the Harviestoun beers following several personal tastings!
All staff are very friendly and helpful, really felt at home here.
On most Thursday nights from around 9 - 9:30 pm a group of musicians come in and play traditional celtic music.
Thoroughly recommend this hotel and will be back if I'm in the area again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Schiehallion_Drinker
Dunfermline Fife
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Excellent home cooking using local produce. Highly recomended, just like my Mum used to cook, without the cabbage. Rooms were spotless.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends