“not a hotel”

Auld Mill House Hotel
Ranked #20 of 26 Dunfermline B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 February 2014

we booked this hotel as we were flying to lanzarote on new years day we arrived at 5 pm new years eve I asked what time dinner was served until I was told the restaurant was closed I asked what time we could have breakfast and was told they would not be serving breakfast either we went out and got something to eat when we arrived back at 8.30pm the place was in darkness I went through to the bar and asked if my husband and I could buy a drink and the man told me that they don't bother opening the bar anymore we had no choice but to go to our room and watch telly on new years eve the bed was okay but the toilet took about fifteen minutes to full back up and was very noisy I felt that I was mislead by bookings.com when I booked this hotel and would not book again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank linpatAberdeenshire
Auldmillhousehotel, Owner at Auld Mill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

The 2 guests booked very last minute on New Years Eve and arrived inebriated and clearly thought themselves some kind of comedy duo/hotel inspectors and expected a full on party when they arrived, which we had not planned or advertised.

Although all our rooms were full, all the guests had plans, we had no bookings for dinner and took the decision to close up at 8.30 pm because it was quiet.

We do not have a huge team of staff like the institutionalised larger hotels, its just myself and my brother that do everything! We do not claim to have super powers and are only human after all. My brother lives on site and i live 5 minutes away. We are just a small family run hotel. People assume we have directors and managers, front of house staff, reception staff, waitresses, barmen, chefs, kitchen porters etc etc, but i'm afraid it's just us!

Not just that, this was our mothers business, she was diagnosed with terminal cancer and died in October 2012, we are still trying to pick up the pieces, sort her estate, pay of the debt and re-establish her business after we pretty much ceased to operate so that we could take care of her here in her home.

When the couple checked in they told us they were leaving early for their flight at 4am and would not be able to have breakfast. Why they have maid an issue of this, i just can't get my head round!!!!!!

After i had left the building to go home, my brother locked up. Later that evening he heard noises and went to investigate and found the couple in complete darkness in our bar our which had already been locked up. My brother was startled and asked 'how did they get in here'. ? They said they found the bar door open, which was not the case.

We later discovered they had sneaked around our building and come in our own kitchen entrance, an area clearly marked as PRIVATE.

We area very hospitable family and what we offer is an extension of our home, we are not here to jump when someone clicks their fingers.

There are newer reviews for Auld Mill House Hotel

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

We're do I start? We are still at the "hotel" as I write. On approach down the lane we liked what we saw. We entered and were greeted by a blonde haired lady who was pleasant, took our details, showed us the breakfast room then on to the room we had been allocated. Firstly I am sure I booked a double room
with sofa bed for our daughter. We got a twin with sofa bed which wasn't a major problem really. The room was very small and the shower was a portacabin! The water flow from the shower was practically non existent. I could pee harder!
When we returned from our jaunt into town at around 7.30 the place was locked up! The website says this is a hotel/bar/ restaurant. To us it is more like a youth hostel. Luckily we had eaten in town. So far the beds are comfy but the sofa bed is hard (that's sofa beds for you though)
Anyway I have emailed the hotel,
(as there is no one at reception) to cancel our breakfasts as we will be leaving in the morning (Fri) instead of Sun. We will not let this ruin our weekend though, we have already booked into a hotel who have an open restaurant /bar

Stayed: January 2014
5  Thank Nellydoll70
Auldmillhousehotel, Owner at Auld Mill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

This guest is a disgruntled customer charged extra after they had urinated in the bed after what appeared to be a great deal of drinking. We had to end up asking them to leave.
Totally innappropriate behaviour especially when accompanied with a young child.
Charges had to be made for new bedding, new mattress, closed room whilst carpet was professionaly deep cleaned.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Auld Mill House. The room was very old fashion and you could hear everything. The pictures on the website look nothing like the room we had. I made the a comment on the review page of the booking website and manager decided to attack me personally by email.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Alwalla

We received a booking for a single person and 3 people turned up, we could not accommodate them all in a single room, but they assured me only one person was staying.

I showed them the room but, within half an hour i had residents complaining about the over excited noises coming from the room.

I don't even think i want to imagine what was going on, but it didn't sound pretty,

in fact it sounded like they were all in great pain!

I knocked on the door and was met with a very sweaty naked man, who said he wouldn't be long! 25 minute later both men left and the woman followed a half hour later and did not return. i later received a strange review and contacted the guest by email to ask about it. The review was then taken down by the website providers due to its inappropriate content.

Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

In the dark it's really hard to spot the sign for the hotel and the narrow, pitch black pot-holed lane down to the hotel.
Owners are friendly and the place is cheap and cheerful. I paid £42, so didn't expect a posh hotel. I think there was just me and a group of workmen staying there. No noise insulation between rooms or to the corridor, but luckily everyone had gone quiet by 11.
Radiator means you can have room as warm as you want. The only toiletries are a big bottle of showergel and a big bottle of soap. Tv wouldn't work. Owner came to re-boot the box for me, but when I came back after dinner it still wouldn't work. Bed was really comfy and 2 big pillows although 1 had a plastic cover inside it and made a lot of noise everytime you moved.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Hondabird007
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

A no-nonsense little hotel just by the Queen Margaret station on the Edinburgh-Perth line. There is also a well-frequented bar. My room was clean and well equipped. As I was going into Edinburgh for dinner with a friend in the evening, I asked mine host - a charming lady - what was the best way to get to the station. She replied that there were two possibilities: a roundabout route on the public roads, or a short cut out the back. The latter involved climbing over a wire fence, walking across a field full of sheep, and finally clambering over a 5 bar gate into the station. I must have looked apprehensive at this prospect because mine host winked at me and said "If I can do it, so can you!" Come the morning I got up and made my way to the bar where, we had agreed, I would be served breakfast at 7.30. The room was locked and there was no sign of the proprietors. Nor was I on my own - I reckon there were another 8 guests wandering around, wondering what was going on. Eventually, we all left, hungry. Perhaps there is a simple explanation for this - but I don't know what it is.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Critic1909
Reviewed 31 March 2013

All the stafe realy friendly great food service was spot on. The rooms lovely and clean . We had a party of 11for a golden wedding and we all said it was lovely all round.We will be back . Well done to all the stafe for a great night .

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank laurainehk
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I have accompanied my husband on business trips, and generally attempt to find places to stay within walking distance of the train. The Auld Mill House Hotel was a pleasant surprise with very easy access to the Queen Margaret Dunfermline Train Station.
You can actually see the train station from the hotel, but you need to walk to the street and around the block to actually access the station.
But let me just say that this place offers far more than train convenience. I booked online, through the owner, contacting her through the facebook page. The rate was unbelievably reasonable, but I was concerned about what to expect since the hotel appeared to be attached to a pub.
Well, there is a small restaurant in the building, but the only people who I saw in it were the patrons in the hotel. Alana checks early in the day to see if you'll want dinner in the restaurant, and she made us up a fresh meal that was really quite tasty. There are many beers on tap available, as well as a full bar.
But let's get to the important part. The room was reasonably large. It had two twin beds, both of which had comfortable mattresses. Hardwood floors, and a relatively new bathroom. Everything in the room was spotless.
The towels were large and comfy and were changed daily. The bathroom was large as well, and complete with a corner cabinet to store your personal items in.
The shower is one of those electric ones that I've yet to get used to. But it worked, and the water was hot.
There was no shampoo....just body wash which was supposed to suffice for both, but I merely walked into town and picked myself up a bottle which was no issue.
We had no problem with heat in the room. It worked just fine.
The view out the back was of a hill, but you could watch birds fluttering around outside.

There was a small gap between the door and the wall, so the hall noise could not be shut out. But, generally, people just went to their rooms and stayed in for the night. We didn't notice any loud voices or televisions from the other rooms while we were in ours for the night.

Breakfast was in a room next to the restaurant. We had porridge in the morning, which was made to order. There was a fresh fruit salad each morning, along with yogurt and cereals if you wanted them. Hot cooked breakfast as well, with toast. I had eggs one morning and they tasted fabulous! Juice, tea or coffee.
There is a large parking lot just outside the building, far from the street. The street from the main road to the hotel is full of potholes, just to give you fair warning.
The people who run the place were welcoming and they made every attempt to assure that we were comfortable.
I would highly recommend the Auld Mill House Hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business