“Special meal”

Cardoon Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 184 Restaurants in Dunfermline
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Special meal”
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

We go to this restaurant for a special meal, it has always been good quality. The menu has been different each time. The dishes can be a bit over elaborate in presentation but is nice for a meal out.

Visited April 2013

Staines, England
“Terrible cooking!”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I'd hate to berate this restaurant if it's not the one in the Keavil House Hotel. If it is then it deserves a zero score!
I had an evening meal here and the quality of cooking was abysmal. My glass of wine I'd ordered arrive in a reasonable time but I had to ask for the "free bread & butter" which was obviously forgotten - only to find that the bread had been standing out for so long that it had dried out so much that it was verging on toast! Yuk
I had salt & pepper squid to start with and was presented with a miserable dish of a few (bought-in) tiny fingers of squid on a bed of lukewarm noodles - the only redeeming thing was the chilli sauce which at least gave you something to supplement the taste.
For a main course I had the "crispy skin bream fillets". What I was presented with were two fillets of leather! So overcooked that I initially thought that a mistake had been made and I'd been given overcooked smoked mackerel fillets. Dry, burnt, uncuttable fish fillets on another bed of lukewarm noodles. Disgusting! An absolute travesty.
Should have complained at the time but my colleagues had joined me by then and I didn't want to make a fuss.
From other reviews the cooking seems to be appreciated - perhaps the meat dishes are cooked O.K?
DO NOT have anything fishy. The chef doesn't know how to cook it.

• Visited December 2013
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Breakfasted like a king (and queen)”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Ate breakfast here recently and it was excellent. No mushrooms, which was a shame, but eggs cooked to order, acres of bacon and all the other goodies and more coffee and grapefruit juice than I've had in years.

We really stocked up and kept us going all day till dinner. Lots of cereal, speciality drinks, Stephens rolls, pastries, fruit, cold meat, grapefruit segments etc... No complaints, good service, prompt clear up and staff attentive at refilling the coffee.

Have had dinner here as well a few times and that was always excellent too.

• Visited March 2013
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Ate here with my wife - not for the first time.

Food was excellent again - really great steak, cooked as I wanted (why do so many restaurants struggle with cooking steak properly). Good wine choice and even some little nibbles while we waited for the starters. Starters and desert was excellent and the cheese board was fantastic, as was the port.

The staff were attentive and professional. It isn't the cheapest place to eat in and around Dunfermline, but it is nice for something a bit special.

When we've stayed at the hotel, the breakfast is good too - range of juice, coffee and tea and as much cooked food as you could imagine - plentiful, hot and tasty!

• Visited September 2012
“Lunch”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Have eaten here several times and always found the buffet lunch lovely.

Visited November 2011