“Disappointing”

Price range: US$7 - US$36
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Disappointing coffee and cake. Ordered a takeaway cappuccino-only half full and far too much milk in it. Carrot cake- dry and did not taste like carrot cake. Wine shop great but would not go back to café. .

2  Thank daisy101

Reviewed 13 January 2014

As others have suggested, this is a nice place slightly pricey but worth it for the atmosphere alone.

Couple of comments they could embrace to get a full rating though.

Bacon ciabatta, we popped in for breakfast and I ordered this. At £6 I think I expected something special. The roll, like all their bread was very nice, was quite large. What a shame then to only put two small rashers of bacon in it. I was left chewing bread a lot of the time.

Reuben's special sandwich. This is truly very nice, the ingredients unusual in they involve tangy elements such as gherkin and sauerkraut which you'd think would be a bit much. But thers the secret, the thick slabs of rye bread it comes on. It use wouldn't work without that dark sweet bread.

So we went in at 2pm on a Sunday, slightly late for lunch admittedly but it was Sunday and it wasn't busy and we ordered the special sandwich to be told.... Sorry we have no rye bread, they re still baking it.

At 2 on a Sunday afternoon? I asked. Yes the waitress said, attempting to cover up what was a blatant lie. So why not just say, we have no rye bread. Bakery let us down. And it is just a sandwich, come up with a slightly different version that works with granary?

It was such an odd exchange we just left. Haven't been back since.

So, just make the food and the service fit the ambience and you've cracked it.

And would a coffee refill kill ? Even if its just filter? Two small cups each and you're looking at nearly a tenner for the equaling of a large coffee in any well known high street chain, one of which is a few doors up the road!

3  Thank ScottishTan
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My daughter gave me a voucher for two to attend a wine tasting at Ruebens for my birthday. I love Australian wine so my husband and i agreed that would be the one to go to. tTey hold one each month and its best to book as its very popular we had a great evening with plenty of tastes of the wine David the owner of ruebens has an amazing knowledge and we didnt feel like we asked silly questions throughout !!! We both were so pleased when the board of food arrived artichoke meats cheeses etc all ndelicious if you are interested in wine its the place to go staff are so helpfull .

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We tend to visit for our mid-morning coffee, (which is surely the very best in town!) but have been known to have lunch on the odd occasion. We have never been disappointed with the food, which has invariably been fresh and well presented. The only "complaint" I have is that their sandwiches are simply too big for my appetite! The atmosphere is quiet and intimate and overall very pleasant. Service has always been with a smile. In my opinion, one of the best, if not THE best cafe in Dunfermline.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Great place, well done out and comfortable but even so £4.95 for a bacon roll is steep. Service sketchy but they did replace my bacon roll (bread was so hard I couldn't eat it) without question. They do a good cheese board and cant fault the wine, excellent wine store as part of cafe. I do keep going back so it must have something!!