“Delightful: not cheap, but delightful”
Review of Balmule House

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dunfermline
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Balmule House is a beautiful building. The core of it dates back to the 14th Century. It offers a pleasant welcome, with country views and a delightful Jack Russell, plus a Doberman who just wants to play ball. It has a lovely sitting-room, which would be perfect for a rainy day in November and a fire. It's about four miles from Dunfermline, so its location will not suit on all occasions. It's hard not to like it, but it isn't cheap. Then again, it isn't just a B&B.....

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Killee
Francis J, Owner at Balmule House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2014

Dear Guest , thanks for your lovely words on tripadvisor. we appreciate it very much . Sorry for the late reply .
We hope you can visit us again soon and play ball the with dog !
many many thanks
regards

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed here very recently and all I can say is beautiful! We were made to feel welcome from Franc and Duncan and can honestly say one of the best places I have stayed in.

The house is restored to a manor that is stylish and modern. Love the idea all rooms have a different colour!

Would go back at anytime.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Donna K

dear Donna,Sorry for the late reply . Thank you very much for your comments on tripadvisor. Its most useful . How about coming again soon!
many thanks
regards Franc

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I booked in here recently whilst working in the area and after having a bad first week in another hotel in the area.

As soon as i arrived here I felt compelled to book it for the remainder of my time in the area as the place took my breath away! Everything is so lovingly put together to give it character, charm and ambience. My room was gorgeous with a lovely comfy bed which meant i didn't have any problems sleeping as is often the case while working away - and they ensured i got the same room each week.

Added to this is the fact that whether it's the owner, Franc, or his team, Duncan and Margaret who deal with you, they always manage to exceed expectations. It's such a breath of fresh air to be dealt with by people who are passionate about giving you a great experience every time. From greeting you when you returned in an evening to ask how your day was, to arranging transport into town on the odd occasion i didn't drive and then surprising me with a gift in my room on the one occasion that i mentioned that I'd been kept awake by noisy neighbours - not their fault but they took responsibility to make it right!! It really was like going home each evening after work rather than back to a hotel.

Another lovely touch is the kitchen on the top floor - great for being able to make food if I chose not to eat out or even just as a different room to sit in on occasion.

I loved every minute of my stay - to the point I'd talked about it that much to the colleague I was working with that she eventually came to stay for 1 night and stayed for 3!!

I'm sad now to be away - but I will definitely be back, hopefully with the husband in tow for a romantic break!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

dear Guest , thank you very much for your review (Sorry for the late reply !). I'm very happy that you mentioned my staff Duncan and Margaret , Im sure they wil be very happy to hear that too.
We welcome you and your husband any time in the near future .
many thanks
regards from the Kingdom of Fife

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Balmule House is gorgeous. I will never forget the moment my boyfriend and I visited this enchanting place, there was a great thrill driving up towards the house. The grounds are spectacular. Inside, the decor is indulgent and very stylish, the house was lovingly restored by owner and host Franc. It is obvious there has been a great deal of love and care put in to every detail of this hotel. Franc is charming and attentive and will go above and beyond to ensure your stay at Balmule is a relaxing and enjoyable time. He is also very helpful and will arrange for transport into town should you decide to go out for a meal or for drinks. I can't wait to visit Balmule again. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AmyEd2014

Dear Amy , Very Sorry for the late reply . Yes Big Country ! The Balmule House used to be
Stuart Adamson's private home .
come and visit us again !
Many many thanks
best regards

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My husband and I have stayed in this beautiful house on two occasions.I love everything about the place. The painstaking restoration and no expense spared decoration is so apparent. Beautiful fabrics and elegant furnishings all in keeping with the period of the house. Many delightful art works and object de art adorn and enhance each room. Traditional and contemporary furnishings blend together perfectly.The whole place just flows with good taste that, I felt very tempted to show myself around around every room and nook and cranny.The hosts Franc and Duncan are absolutely delightful and nothing is too much trouble.The windows all give a joyous view of the enchanting grounds and acres of rolling country side beyond.If you are planning to visit this area of Scotland. Please stay at Balmule.Infact I say just go for no other reason than to experience the sheer delight of the house the hosts the estate.

Room Tip: I say try all rooms.They are all beautiful.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed for one night after a wedding held there and it was fantastic. Accommodation, the other rooms in the House , the amazing views and manicured grounds. Staff, Duncan and Margaret could not do enough and the breakfast was excellent.
A relaxing stay in a beautiful room which was elegantly designed and furnished.

Excellent all round and a great place to stop off and stay if you are visiting Fife or the neighboring areas.

Room Tip: All rooms on the first floor are lovely
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Going to a friend birthday in area an came across this gem of a place . As soon as we pulled up frank the host met us great welcome then sorted out our meal for the night in restaurant near by taxi would be arranged for us if needed then show to our wonderful room an showed how things worked from showers to docking stations for phones an iPods . Given keys to let our selfs in when back from party ( you are then more relaxed not worrying about getting your host up ) great night sleep an woke up to wonderful views . Breakfast was great just perfect to end our stay. Do you want the perfect getaway for any reason give this place a try a wee gem --- thank you again for a wonderful stay will be back

Room Tip: No pool or fitness centre not what we where after but if this guest house had them they would be exc...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karen M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunfermline
Best Western Plus Keavil House Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Dunfermline
Balbirnie House
Balbirnie House
#1 of 1 in Markinch

Been to Balmule House? Share your experiences!