“Excellent Hotel - Lovely Hosts”

Davaar House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Dunfermline
Macclesfield. England
“Excellent Hotel - Lovely Hosts”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed here after our festival at T in the Park for a bit of luxury! The hotel is very welcoming and comfortable. The bedrooms are huge and keep in the tradition of the victorian building. There is a small bar which we didn't use but I believe this does close quite early.
The location is great, tucked away in a quiet street but only a 10 minute walk to the town centre.
The breakfast was outstanding, excellent local produce. The owners of the hotel couldn't do enough for us, they we so welcoming and helpful. I would definitley recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank conrad169

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Fort William
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Booked to stay for 3 nights at Davaar and was glad that the weather was so good as our room was dark and very cold. Had to have a heater brought in as well as another TV as the one there wasn't working. Breakfasts were excellent though and hosts most friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 July 2011

This small hotel has some nice things going for it, but the owners made a guest relations mis-step that is a deal-breaker for me.

Davaar House is located on a quiet, clean street, just a short walk from lovely Pitcairn Park (The Glen). The lounge is a large, comfortable space with plenty of chairs to relax in or chat with friends. Jim Jarvis, the co-owner with his wife Jean, congenially serves guests from a small bar. I actually saw him serve someone a coke with a generous five ice cubes -- pretty rare in Britain. The dining room is lovely, with separate tables for guests. The full Scottish breakfast is delicious.

As for my guest room, Number 1, the bathroom was quite nice. All the fixtures were new, shower easy to operate, nice water pressure and everything was clean as a whistle.

However, the room itself was dark and dingy. Three dim bulbs made a vain attempt to light the room. The two twin beds were tiny. I believe they must be child's beds. I had to sleep like a mummy so that I wouldn't fall off and I woke up continuously during the night. When I sat in bed to read, the rickety headboard banged against the wall whenever I shifted. The comforter was bright and downy: the only bright note in the room.

The TV received very few channels, but did include some "adult" channels, which seems a bit odd for this sort of accommodation.

Although the bedroom was uncomfortable, other rooms may be better.

Here’s why I would not recommend this hotel no matter what:

Scotland can be cold at night in any season, even summer. When I checked in, I asked the owners to show me how to turn on the heat. They told me that it would go on automatically. Jean offered me a space heater in the meantime, but I said as long as the heat would go on in the morning, that would be sufficient. She assured me that it would.

Well, the heat did not go on at all. When I went out to breakfast, I asked about it. Jean expressed surprise that it hadn't gone on. She even put her hand on the heater where we were standing to see if it was true. Amazingly, Jim then came up and said that they never turn on the heat at this time of year because people complain that it’s too hot.

In fact, that night had gone down to 7 degrees Celsius (45 F). That is cold enough to warrant heat, even in a country that doesn't gobble energy like the US. It certainly would be an expectation in any hotel or B&B in Scotland to provide heat at least during the rising hours in the morning, which was all I was asking for.

But more concerning to me was the dishonesty of promising heat and then making a statement that there was never an intention of providing it.

Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Travel_LadyNYC
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We came to Dunfermline so I could run in the Scottish Half Marathon Championships. (Not competitive at 60). I was concerned about the course, as it looked hard on paper, but I had no idea. I have done 10 of them in the last year, but nothing like this. I have never been so exhausted before. I wanted to run a PB, and I did, by far the slowest ever. Scotland is just not the place for flat ground. The hotel that was sponsoring the event was full, so I chose Davaar House from the Trip Adviser site. I am glad I did. It is a wonderful old Scottish house converted into a 10 room hotel. The Superior rooms were booked, as were the standard doubles, so I chose a twin for us, and a single for my 94 year old mother. We had a loft room which meant 2 flight of steep stairs with heavy bags. The staff were very accommodating with these, but I was happy to carry half. The single room was pretty compact, but comfortable and mum loved the place. Our standard twin was sort of on the compact size, but fine, and there was room for all our stuff without the cases getting in the way, which is not an uncommon problem in UK and Continental Hotels, and room for all our things. There was a great view from our large window that either tilted or opened fully. Naturally there was no A/C, but this is an old house and it is Scotland, so not a problem. The large window easily allowed us to regulate the temperature. The room was very quiet and the beds were hard, but comfortable and mercifully comfortable pillows. We could not be more complimentary about Jim and Doreen, the owners. Jim is a true Scottish Gentleman and Doreen is a treat. She does all the cooking by herself for the restaurant, which is fairly small, but only one of two 5 Star rated restaurants in town. Every meal we had over our 3 days was just divine, and reasonably priced. Not the usual huge platefuls, but that suited me just fine. Quality, not quantity. I was glad to have the long run the next day so I could lash out and sample her Sticky Toffee Pudding, which was worth every calorie. Jim tells us that she is a perfectionist, and we saw no evidence to refute that in any way. Jim has either trained his staff well, or been lucky. We were so impressed by Matthew’s eager assistance in every possible way, that we mistook him as family.
This is my 20th trip around the World. All have been for at least a month and we have stayed in a lot of hotels, but this one was a joy. If we ever come back to Dunfermline, which sadly is not overly likely, but even if I needed to come to Edinburgh, I would stay here and commute. Such a joy to have free wi fi which is so easy to get on to, with as many devices as you like. This is one of my big bugbears.

Room Tip: Superior Rooms a bargain at only 10 pounds extra.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank osspeak
Dunfermline
Reviewed 24 June 2011

A family-run hotel in a large Victorian villa. Excellent, large rooms which are well-appointed. Fantastic food, real Scottish cuisine, steak was great, salmon was perfect. And the best of all is the outstanding welcome provided by Jim and Doreen.

• Stayed May 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I stayed at Davaar House only for a night whilst on a business trip.
A very nice hotel with great decor, a family environment, excellent service and set in a quiet part of town, meaning a good night's rest.
Definitely will visit Davaar House in the future when I return to Edinburgh.

Henrique

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Macclesfield
Reviewed 3 June 2011

I stopped here with my wife for one night on a weekend trip to Scotland, we couldn’t really afford to stay in central Edinburgh, so stayed in Dunfermline and commuted into the capital. This hotel is just the best, it is basically a large Victorian house with high ceilings and is very quiet.

The room itself was spotless, we stayed on the ground floor room 1. The bathroom was large and clean, they supplied tea and coffee facilities and a free view tele. The breakfast in the morning was superb, and the staff were more than helpful. We didn’t have our evening meal there, but went out for a local Chinese buffet, so cant comment on that.

The room was very competitively priced, and the location was good, about 5 minutes walk into Dunfermline. The beds were soft, and we got a good nights sleep, so on the whole a very pleasant stay all round.

I must not forget to mention the hosts, they were more than obliging, we will definitely be back.

Mark & Michaela