“Well worth a visit”

US$50.48*
Rosslyn Chapel, Dunfermline Abbey and Stirling Castle Day Tour from Edinburgh
US$653.49*
and up
Day Trip to St Andrews Dunfermline and the Fife Coast in a Private Minibus from...
US$43.47*
Historic Scotland Explorer Pass
Ranked #2 of 65 things to do in Dunfermline
More attraction details
Owner description: Admire one of Scotland's most impressive medieval interiors and most important royal sites, founded as a priory in about 1080. Robert the Bruce was buried in the medieval choir, now beneath the Abbey church of 1821. St Margaret and David I are among a number of monarchs and other royalty laid to rest here. Charles I was born in the palace that grew up alongside the abbey.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We visited Dunfermline Abbey by train from Edinburgh over the Forth Rail bridge. This was a lovely trip with views of the Forth road Bridge. Unfortunately, the Abbey was not signposted from the rail station, so we walked up a fairly steep hill towards the town. When we got to the town, we walked to where we believed the abbey to be, and you guessed it, down another fairly steep hill. We realised on the way back that if we had walked along another street outside the station, we could have walked to the Abbey on level ground. However, once we arrived at the abbey, we were not disappointed. The abbey was impressive, with Robert the Bruce name constructed at the top of the square tower. I had never seen anything like this before. The inside of the abbey, the burial site of Robert the Bruce, is a well maintained church in beautiful condition. the old abbey is connected to the church. After your visit here, visit the abbotts house, a pink painted building, for tea, scones and a friendly smile. Have it in the herb garden outside on a good day, it is very serene, with a view of the square tower.

1  Thank David P

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I had seen this Church from Andrew Carnegie's Birthplace Museum, and with the limited time window I had, I managed to view quite a bit of the site, before time limit had caught me up.
Very interesting to see.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Went to visit the abbey today,been to dunfermline but never been to abbey..I find as in most towns it is sign posted well until the last few hundred yards and signs get less,and as your driving have to watch roads as well.I found it by more luck than any thing else.parking in area is slim I was lucky again found a place few hundred yards away.I was very impressed with cleanliness .the fee is £4.50 to visit but I wandered around for nothing thinking I would pay when I entered the church as signs pointed out.it was lunch time for the staff,so saw no one on my wander.I was loving the old abbey stone work must have been some place and also the palace,very impressed with the silence and peace,this is sighted in the town,but you would think you were in the country.after taking photos I went to the church where king Robert the Bruce is entombed,went to pay for my visit at desk but church is free,but one can leave a donation staff here were very friendly.saw the kings tomb area it is under main alter,there is also a plaster cast of his skull in a glass case just of the tomb area,I felt a bit humble,my first visit, I will say if in the area a deffinetly visit is called for,very impressed. I did leave a donation by the way as I had wandered about free,,.I would say in some areas a wheel chair invalid or on sticks would not cause a great problem.I am not sure of purchase of food,but shops all around you.

1  Thank Montgomery S
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Ancient capital of Scotland, Dunfermline is home to the Dunfermline Abbey. It is worth a visit. Walk through the cemetary and find some interesting tombstones.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

A gem of a find, right in the middle of town. So much to check out and see. Just love the square tower with King Robert the Bruce quite outstanding and inside the bones are buried of the King and his heart is in Melrose Abbey. The Palace was the birthplace of Charles I and Charles II. Once a month there is tailing singing in the palace what an atmosphere.

1  Thank dodonthetrains