“Beautiful gardens, great breakfast, exceptional staff”

Pitbauchlie House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dunfermline
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed here over Christmas, and had a really relaxing time. The room has blackout curtains, and I slept so soundly that I woke up at half nine on one morning. Breakfast was lovely, with proper butter on the table! I was there alone, but was made to feel at home, without feeling awkward. I had lunch there with my family on Boxing Day, and really enjoyed it. I felt that it was really good value for money, especially for over the festive period. The nicest thing about the hotel is the staff, who are all friendly and cheery. Really enjoyed my stay, and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank allison659
Manager47, Manager at Pitbauchlie House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Thank you for your enthusiastic review, we are all delighted that the hotel met your expectations and hope that we can host another stay next Christmas.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed here with work for a conference and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised for the money. It was booked for me by work and when I saw the cost I feared the worst! However the hotel was clean and tidy, the staff courteous and the breakfast really good. Plenty of car parking and easy access to the main routes. Free wifi in the room that actually worked (unlike some hotels!). What can I say...it did what it 'says on the tin'.
Would definitely use again if I was in this neck of the woods. Highly recommended.

Also..recommend Kushi's Indian restaurant in town (see separate review!).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Brooky64
Reviewed 19 November 2013

A weekend break to somewhere neither my wife or I had visited before and an Internet search lead us to Dunfermline and this Hotel instead of one of the National chains. Located in one of the older housing estates on the outskirts of Dunfermline the Hotel mixes old house and modern build. Our room in a modern extension well laid out, clean and tidy, plenty of room with bath and shower. Twin beds joined together meant probably the biggest bed ever slept in and comfortable. Advised by reception to book for evening meals with a choice of 2 restuarants and 2 bars. Good advice the Bistro was extremely busy both nights we ate in as was one of the bars. This was when we noticed how popular the hotel was locally as it was mostly local folk in both restaurant and public bar. If the locals use it it must be highly regarded. Meals were excellent value, well prepared, great portions as was the breakfast in the morning. Our stomach's will confirm this. The really friendly staff look after you at mealtime with great, prompt service and it was nice to have a relaxing nightcap in the quiet lounge bar instead of the lively public bar so you have a choice. Would we go back, yes we would and as an alternative to a stay in Edinburgh. Would I recommend here, yes I would. Why pay an Edinburgh premium when here has plenty parking and peacefull.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TripletsDad2013
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Booked a reasonable rate for a triple room (205) for an overnight stop.

The hotel is pleasant, clean, friendly and has all the amenities you would expect in the room. It was easy to find, plenty of parking, and there's a great Indian/Nepalese restaurant 10 minute's walk away. Breakfast was ample (and the coffee was good, always worth mentioning). Perfect...

Now for the not-so-sure bits...

1. The bathroom in room 205 (and therefore, I suspect, other rooms on that floor) has a weird skylight which collects condensation and constantly drips cold water. It's a square shape which effectively covers most of the usable floor space in there. Do you squeeze to the wall, or attempt to stand stock-still in the square? We all tried to manage a drip-free trip to the bathroom, we all failed.

2. The shower seemed capable of delivering less water than the skylight - it was next to useless. Turning the showerhead to point upwards revealed that it could only manage a 6 inch reach before the water dribbled back earthwards. If you like a hot damp patch on your shoulder, this may be the shower for you - it wasn't for us.

3. Don't order mushrooms with your breakfast - unless you like 'em boiled and rubbery!

All in all - the hotel delivered what we wanted - a clean comfortable room for the night, and breakfast to start the next day's trip. At the rate we paid, it was fine, if we had paid full-whack, we would have been disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank a_1_m_1_b
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed here recently and arrive 8:30pm after an 8 hour drive. Needing to stretch my legs I asked where the Gym was and was informed that their 'small gym room' was only available until 9pm as it was above guest rooms. The room was tiny. I specifically booked this hotel for the added amenity so I was very disappointed in this. Next I found hairs all around the bath and sink, scummy marks on the bathroom door and on the shelf above the sink, clearly this room just needed a proper clean. The bed was very uncomfortable.

On a more positive note, the staff were lovely, very friendly and helpful. The breakfast (although expensive) was great. For a budget hotel (I paid £37 for 1 night) it is OK but a certainly wouldn't have paid any more. Great location

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2013

A stumble finding a bed found us here and what a find. Arrived quite late but greeted warmly. Quite a stock room but well presented. Reception delighted to meet our dogs as were the other guests, shame the seats in lobby ( to which dogs are restricted) not more comfy. Have had them in the bar with us in many other hotels. As we were late, staff even pointed us to a good local "chippy" & smiled when we returned to eat in our room. Inclusive full breakfast was very good, even snuck the dogs under the table⁉️⁉️⁉️ lovely staff ...

Room Tip: Book a table before arrival as if you get there late it's usually full fri-sun.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding for which the reception was also being held here. The staff were very welcoming and helpful and the room itself was clean and comfortable. The shower wasn't great in that it wasn't particularly powerful but otherwise it was fine. The food is nice and not too expensive.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family