“Valentine stay”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dunfermline
Cowdenbeath, United Kingdom
“Valentine stay”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 14th Feb 2014 checked into room to find no towels, disgusting marks in toilet pan and 1/2 a toilet roll. Phoned reception to be told by receptionist that as they had let us check in early which was untrue as we had lunch first then checked in at 2pm, that the room hadn't been serviced properly! What?. The toilet did get cleaned when we went for evening meal but not serviced as promised! Onto the good points our meal and wait staff were 100 percent and thank you to them for a lovely meal! Won't stay again though!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary M
Manager47, Manager at Pitbauchlie House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at Pitbauchlie House Hotel.
Please accept our apologies that your restroom had not been completely serviced on the day of your visit. This should not have occurred and I have stressed the importance of this to the head housekeeper. I am so glad that we were able to complete the task later in the day.
Thank you for your kind words regarding the Valentine Dinner and that you felt the meal and service was “100 percent” on the day. We have passed on your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Had drinks here with several friends last Friday. Staff were friendly and efficient. Good choice of drinks and prices reasonable. Hotel very comfortable and just the right level of posh. The hotel is also in a good location in Dunfermline. Car park very dark though.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you found both the hotel to your liking.
I believe that there had been a bulb blown in one of our car park lights, this had now been rectified.
grahamstown
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My family and I spent one night in the hotel in May before our departure from Scotland, returning to South Africa. It was ideally located for our purposes being close to a railway connection for sightseeing in Edinburgh and within easy reach of the Edinburgh Airport where we had to be the following morning. It was also an easy drive from central Dunfermline where we found a nice restaurant. The hotel staff were professional but somewhat unfriendly and mechanical. The room was a family room which was ideal for our purposes. All-in-all, the hotel was unexceptional but we were happy and because of the hotel's convenience we would stay there again if it was a quick stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and hope that we may welcome you back soon.
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Had an Xmas meal here this year. Xmas meals can be dire experiences, as all restaurants want to do is max the bill and minimise the effort. This offering was somewhere inbetween - neither excellent, nor bad.

The food was ok, though delivery was poor, with half the table well into their meal before the other half appeared. Can't comment on the rooms, as didn't stay, but take care of the road on the way into the hotel off Aberdour road. I suspect that some of the IED laden roads in Afghanistan have fewer craters!

Dunfermline is awash with hotels and restaurants. A lot are middle of the road and average like this, if you are looking to up the ante, then try and garvock house, or the Keavil in nearby crossford - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
allison659
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed here over Christmas, and had a really relaxing time. The room has blackout curtains, and I slept so soundly that I woke up at half nine on one morning. Breakfast was lovely, with proper butter on the table! I was there alone, but was made to feel at home, without feeling awkward. I had lunch there with my family on Boxing Day, and really enjoyed it. I felt that it was really good value for money, especially for over the festive period. The nicest thing about the hotel is the staff, who are all friendly and cheery. Really enjoyed my stay, and will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank allison659
Thank you for your enthusiastic review, we are all delighted that the hotel met your expectations and hope that we can host another stay next Christmas.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed here with work for a conference and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised for the money. It was booked for me by work and when I saw the cost I feared the worst! However the hotel was clean and tidy, the staff courteous and the breakfast really good. Plenty of car parking and easy access to the main routes. Free wifi in the room that actually worked (unlike some hotels!). What can I say...it did what it 'says on the tin'.
Would definitely use again if I was in this neck of the woods. Highly recommended.

Also..recommend Kushi's Indian restaurant in town (see separate review!).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Brooky64
Muir of Ord, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

A weekend break to somewhere neither my wife or I had visited before and an Internet search lead us to Dunfermline and this Hotel instead of one of the National chains. Located in one of the older housing estates on the outskirts of Dunfermline the Hotel mixes old house and modern build. Our room in a modern extension well laid out, clean and tidy, plenty of room with bath and shower. Twin beds joined together meant probably the biggest bed ever slept in and comfortable. Advised by reception to book for evening meals with a choice of 2 restuarants and 2 bars. Good advice the Bistro was extremely busy both nights we ate in as was one of the bars. This was when we noticed how popular the hotel was locally as it was mostly local folk in both restaurant and public bar. If the locals use it it must be highly regarded. Meals were excellent value, well prepared, great portions as was the breakfast in the morning. Our stomach's will confirm this. The really friendly staff look after you at mealtime with great, prompt service and it was nice to have a relaxing nightcap in the quiet lounge bar instead of the lively public bar so you have a choice. Would we go back, yes we would and as an alternative to a stay in Edinburgh. Would I recommend here, yes I would. Why pay an Edinburgh premium when here has plenty parking and peacefull.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple