“Perfect town house hotel”

Garvock House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Dunfermline
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Perfect town house hotel”
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Recently Married Here!

Not only is the hotel beautiful and lovingly cared for but the staff are extrmely polite and helpful. I'd like to particularly thank Pam and Lorna for all their help in making our day special.

The food is top notch, grounds gorgeous and both staff and owners give the hotel a friendly and personal touch,

Highly recomend to others

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RVT1984

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Dunfermline, Scotland
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Attended son’s and daughter-in-law’s wedding at the Garvock. First class service, friendly and very helpful team of staff headed by the owner Pam who was a fount of helpful advice and suggestions when making arrangements. Lovely hotel and grounds and excellent food, a little oasis in the middle of Dunfermline.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Bibi60
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2011

The Garvock is a great place to stay. I travel up to Dunfermline quite often with work and this is definately the best hotel in the area (having stayed in most of them I do consider myself quite an expert!). Generally staying on my own I am always made to feel very welcome from the friendly staff. Its a small hotel with respectfully formal service but still makes guests feel as ease.
The rooms are extremely clean with beds that are just so comfortable. There are thick mattress toppers on the bed akin to the princess and the pea. A decent sized flat screen TV and DVD player, with reception holding a DVD library.
Now for the best bit, the food! it is simply delicious. As a vegetarian I get sick of the ubiquitous mushroom stroganoff on every menu, but at the Garvock there are always a couple of mouthwatering choices. Tasty spinach & ricotta dumplings tonight that melted in the mouth. Last time I stayed I had smoked halloumi cheese on a herby potato cake. Breakfast is equally good, with freshly cooked omelettes etc.
So if you stay here, don't even think of going elsewhere for dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for a double as they have quite a few twins
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2011

This was the first time other than a special occasion that I've eaten at Garvock House and I felt really badly let down. I tried to book for 12:30 but they could only offer 1:00p.m. onwards which I agreed to. I was taking a very old friend out for lunch and we arrived at 12:45. After about 5 minutes somone took our drinks order but by 1:25 there was still no sign of our order being taken. I was under pressure over time as I was travelling home after lunch so I asked the waitress in the bar and she told the maitre d' we stil hadn't had our order taken..... and he ignored her. Eventually we ordered and at 1:40 we were led into a dining room. As we were walking past we heard another couple complaining vociferously that they had booked a table for 1:00 as well and they still hadn't had their order taken. Apparently they had had a couple of larger parties booked in at 12:30 which had caused a delay - but why then did they let me book if they couldn't cope with the numbers. The room was cold and there was no-one else in it everybody else was in another room so there was no atmosphere at all. After about 10 minutes, we still hadn't been served anything other than water (would have liked a drink from the bar but we weren't asked) and Mr Angry and partner joined us in the room and they were served their food before us. The more you complain.....!! We did eventually get our meal which was Ok but nothing more. My roast rib of beef was well done although I asked for it rare as were the vegetables nd my friend's liver wasn't very tender. She disliked her apple crumble and left it and my mango creme brulee was heavy and lacked any flavour. I don't usually write reviews like this but I felt let down today and I hope the management at the hotel read this. Maybe not overbooking and asking the staff to smile and make the customers feel welcome would be a start. Lovely setting, beautiful building, promises a lot but failed to deliver today.

Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank arrbee54
Virginia
Reviewed 17 September 2010

The owner and his wife are hands on, working right along side of the large staff. We didn't realize who they were until well into our four day stay. Friendliness of the entire staff, cleanliness, attention to detail, and to the needs of guests, hallmark the hotel as one of the best we have experienced. Our room was well appointed and comfortable. Food in the restaurant was excellent and served in a fine dining atmosphere. The grounds are lovely with a garden-like setting The hotel is convenient to most of the attractions in the area, including easy, quick rail service to Edinburgh.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Chosen quite by chance Garvock House was a quiet haven after a hard day at the Royal Highland Show. We felt truly welcomed by all staff, accommodation was good, food excellent as was the service. Definitely one to revisit if occasion arises.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Ayrshire
Reviewed 17 October 2009

Stayed overnight at a good friends wedding here.The service is second to none and the breakfast was excellent.Only gripe was the price of the soft drink/mixers.Apart from that superb.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple