“Excellent meal”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Dunfermline
Cowdenbeath, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed 19 January 2013

First of all ignore the negative comments on here about the Garvock! I dined there last nite with my friend and it was excellent.

From the moment we walked in we were greeted kindly by someone and shown to the cocktail/bar, where we were seated and ordered drinks, they also presented a small bowl of nibbles for us to enjoy whilst we had a look at the menu. We did have a bit of a wait till we were shown to our table but I think that was due to there being a birthday party taking place there. To us this was no problem though. The hotel itself is old fashioned with loads of character. We were then shown to our table in one of the rooms where there was fresh bread and butter awaiting our arrival. We ordered fillet steak and it was cooked to perfection and absolutely delicious! All the staff were lovely and could not do enough for us and were always smiling. I would recommend this place to anyone, so much so I have booked my wedding for here next year!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michelle S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

We dined with another couple on a Saturday night in December. The hotel was very busy and we could only get a table reservation for 9pm, a good sign. Menu choice, service and food quality were all excellent. Desserts were a slight let down but we would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012
Marbella, Spain
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We went here for a meal as we had vouchers as a wedding present,not keen on the food i had lamb and it was uneatable,my husbands was ok and i ended up eating some of his meal as mine was that bad,i did say to the waiter and we did get offered another meal but by the time my husband had already ate his so it was too late,just put it down to experience and not go back,place needs an overhaul very old fashioned and shabby not my cup of tea might be ok for older mature diners but not for us im afraid.Never stayed in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
haggis14
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Arrived Wed 5th Dec 2012 road from car park unlight, reception was fine asked if dining I said no would have room service, room fine, went to bar ordered drink and was served as matter of fact (poor manner) asked for room service menu and was told in my room, I mentioned on previouse stays I got menu from bar, NO in room, as there was a bar table reserved with nibbles for 12 in the small area I was sitting in and a few people arriving, the barman finished serving and failed to ask if I would like crisps/nibbles or if I would like another drink that would have been to much for a guest to expect (maybe it was my bruising and cuts on my face from a fall on ice or was it the way I was dressed).
Back to my room found RS menu with snacks, phoned reception 8 minutes till answered asked for menu 7 miniutes later (note room on ground floor and 1 minute from reception) picked food and called reception gave up after 12 minutes engaged, complained at reception and ended up going out for my meal, as a staying guest is not what one would expect.
It is the writers opinion the hotel is geared for people not staying and only in for drink and meal in dinning room with the bar staff showing preference to dinners and can't be bothered with guests wanting room service, had I said when checking in I would eat in the dinning room this would have been totally diffrent.
On another note breakfast is not served until 7 in my experience with this class of hotel and having 24hr service I would have thought it possible to have continental in my room as I normally leavel around 6 (disapointing) as my company pay for breakfast in the cost of the room) and coming to that I have asked them to review using the hotel, not that it matters but for me I wont be back.

BR

Room Tip: Dont ask for room service, room 4 has smokers outside
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2012

We were given a gift voucher for this hotel as a wedding present from family. We phoned to see if the voucher could be split so we could enjoy 2 lunches instead of 1 dinner and the staff said we could (good start as some places would say no to this i.e. no refund on the voucher)
The staff were very professional and the food was exceptional - We can't wait to use the remaining money left on the voucher for another lunch!!
We have been before for a private dinner (50th wedding anniversary), a friends wedding and a celebration lunch when my wife passed her theory driving test. Each time has been excellent.
The building and grounds are beautiful so the pleasure of this place starts when you drive up to it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Alloa
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed at the Garvock House saturday 27th Oct, met up with friends for 60th party near by
we had a lovely room, staff very nice and helpful. The breakfast was excellent, they managed to set a table for six so we could be together.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Room number 11 was a lovley room , all rooms are not all the same decor
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CatherineAlloa
Sydney
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Garvock Hotel for a family wedding and had a wonderful stay. The hotel & facilities are fantastic and the Garvock team could not have been better & made the whole experience very special.

• Stayed November 2012