“Poor Service! Poor Food” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Fast food, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Poor Service! Poor Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We popped in when they first opened to have a sit down chippy. (It used to be Deep Blue and we thoroughly enjoyed their sit-in meals). We were told that they had no plates but they could give us paper boxes if we wanted instead. We thought ok that's fine and they then went on to say they had no cutlery. We said we would pop back another day when they were a bit more organised.

Giving them the benefit of doubt, I went in today to get a fish supper, single sausage and some ice cream. I placed my order and was told it was £10.79, I thought that was a very good price.
I then saw the assistant place a very small half piece of fish onto some chips. I asked "do you only get half a fish with the supper?" she said "no thats a whole fish". I told her that you used to get 2 fish with the suppers before. Then from somewhere behind the counter a man shouted dismissively "not for £2.99 you won't". I said "I beg your pardon?" and he told me there is a sign in the window saying all suppers were £2.99. I said I just asked for a fish supper assuming I would get the same quality that I got from the previous owners.

I said I did not look at the poster in the window just at the prices over the counter that said 'fish supper £4.10' so that is what I assumed I was getting. He then went on to say 'I can give you that if you want it" with a bit of attitude towards me. By this time, feeling quite embarrassed, I said no thank you.

I feel if you are offering 'specials' you should not compromise on quality, don't make offers then reduce the amount you are prepared to provide. You should also be prepared to explain to customers that the 'special offer' is actually just a smaller portion costing less than a normal portion as otherwise the offer is completely misleading.

I did not want the offer and I was unaware that it was even running. I just wanted a good quality take away which unfortunately Marini's failed to provide. The man (who I think was the manager) was particularly rude and a little bit intimidating to say the least.

We previously went to 'Deep Blue' on a regular basis to have a good quality sit-in meal. After my experience today I don't think we will be returning to Marinis!. The food was very greasy and cold - not really worth the money.

There are plenty of better chippys in Dunfermline. I think I'll be going to them from now on.

• Visited April 2014