“from the bottom of our hearts thank you for a first class all round service!!”
Review of Laurel Bank Hotel

Laurel Bank Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glenrothes
Laurel Bank Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Glenrothes B&B and Inns
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
“from the bottom of our hearts thank you for a first class all round service!!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My Husband and i booked our wedding at the Laurel Bank in Jan 2013, from Feb 2014 to May 2014 the hotel had changed hands 3 times! you can imagine our utter despair that 7 days prior to our wedding we received a phone call from the previous manager to say that it had changed hands and that our wedding 'should' be ok !!!!! Having had a few choice words with her i demanded that she contact the new management team and they contact me immediately!!! I received a phone call from a gentleman (Neil Ogston) shortly afterwords. At this point Neil reassured us on the telephone that all would be ok!!!!! On the run up to our wedding and on the day Neil and his staff bent over backwards to ensure perfection for us.... there are no words in the dictionary that can adequately thank Neil and the staff at the hotel for the phenomenal service they delivered!!!! The ceremony was perfect, the decor was perfect, the food was to die for (even managed to get the secret steak pie recipe from Neil) everything was just perfect!!! All of our guests (and we had approx 140) commented on the meal the buffet the service, everyone was full of praise for Neil and the Staff!!!! An excellent day/night was had by all !!!!!!! My husband and i stayed over in the honeymoon suite and the room was beautiful, very comfortable, very clean; we have absolutely no complaints . I am unable to comment on the breakfast in the morning due to Neil leaving a courtesy bottle of champagne in our room for us i slept through breakfast but i do have it on good authority that it was delish!!!! Thank you thank you thank you to Neil and his staff, i would highly recommend the hotel to anyone and i hope that some of my guests leave some positive feedback too xx

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fiona F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We recently stayed here while at a wedding nearby. Our quad room was a great size and really modern and clean. The breakfast in the morning was just what we were looking for and was great value for the price we had paid for 3 adults. The hotel were very accommodating when a double booking had occurred due to a mix up with our booking agent and provided a full refund for the double booking. We would definitely recommend the hotel - it was just what we were looking for.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I attended an evening ceilidh organised by a local company where we had a 3 course set menu. Starter was lovely, lots of attentive staff....or so I thought! My ham salad arrived with a separate bowl of chips, salad fresh, tasty ham, ventured to my chips, lovely. After having approx. 4 chips, I lifted another to find a black pubic hair underneath. Horrified I alerted the waitress and asked to speak to the Manager, she assured me this would be dealt with. Meanwhile my dessert arrived and I explained to my new waitress that I would not eat another thing in this restaurant and asked to speak with a member of management. After a further 2 hours I asked the original waitress if she had reported my incident to her manager, she confirmed she had and apologised that no one came to see me. I will not return to the Laurelbank Hotel, Markinch ever again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Claire O

Travellers are raving about these Glenrothes hotels

Scotland
Reviewed 18 April 2014

On a nice spring Thursday we drove across to Fife hoping to have lunch in the bistro at Balbirnie. They had a wedding on and were fully booked so asked the receptionist for a recommendation. She suggested we try the Laurel Bank in Markinch.
For a Thursday the restaurant had quite a few customers and looked shabby, but promising. The staff were warm and welcoming.
The menu offered a reasonable choice and seemed fairly priced.
I ordered the chicken and spinach lasagne with salad and garlic bread, my husband the haddock.
In my mind I expected an layer of pasta, chicken and spinach in a light cream sauce with some delicious garlic bread and you can't go wrong with a plate of fish and chips.
What arrived was horrific.
A huge slab of "lasagne" topped with a lump of greasy melted cheese.
The pasta was soggy, the sauce so overpoweringly tomato you couldn't taste anything else and the spinach an overlooked floppy mess when you could find it.
To make it worse it was barely warm. Unfortunately no one came back to check if our meals were alright and as the chicken was cooked through and we were tight on time I decided to cut my loses and eat it.
It was horrid, tepid and the worst lasagne I had ever had. Abandoned it after a few mouthfuls and ate the uninspiring salad an over grilled garlic toast.
Husbands fish was wet, tasteless and oily.
Basically I have nothing good to say about the food. The staff were friendly, but never came back after the food was served, the place seemed popular but I could never recommend the lasagne!

Room Tip: Don't know about the rooms but eat out!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Loanhead
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed for 2 nights whilst visiting family in the area and can only thank all the staff for their warm, friendly and efficient welcome and service throughout our stay. Although the room was basic in its furnishings, it was spotlessly clean and offered a hostess tray for making coffee & tea. The shower room which, despite its bijou size, offered all the amenities required for our stay (constant hot water, pristine towels & complimentary toiletries) was also squeaky clean. My only complaint was that there was no shelf/ledge within the shower cabinet on which to rest shampoo, etc... and there was not enough room to bend and retrieve from the shower base without bumping one's posterior against the tiled sides! The TV was also placed in an awkward fixed position in the corner of the room, almost at ceiling height, so it wasn't easy to find a comfortable position for viewing, but we didn't feel the need to complain as we were spending so little time in the room anyway. Breakfast was excellent quality and delicious and the evening special "Meal Deal" of 2 courses each + a bottle of wine was a terrific bargain, as well as being tasty and plentiful. Thank you chef... you did us proud! There is a very handy "Good News" general store just across the road (open from 6.30am to 9.45pm) where we were able to buy the morning papers and any other nibbly bits we wanted in our room. All in all, we found this to be the PERFECT choice for our short stay in Fife. We will certainly stay here again on future visits north.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank valsuth
wiltshire
Reviewed 9 January 2014

this was very clean and very comfortable.
a very warm welcome awaited us as did a very warm room. perfect in january!
the bathroom was spotless with nice towels and nice complimentary toiletries too. i could not complain about anything.
if you pushed me to be picky over anything at all, it would be the size of the bed. our room was huge (they upgraded us to the honeymoon suite) but the bed a mere standard double which was lost in the room and to be honest a bit too small for us also. however it was very comfortable and good quality sheets so it is just an observation not a complaint
breakfast was lovely too. there was a slight hitch with mine but it was sorted out straight away and i enjoyed it

would we stay here again? yes

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roamingjode
Fife
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed one night to attend a function at the hotel. Room was spotless, staff friendly, lovely breakfast in the morning, excellent value for money.
The Laurel Bank is in a very convenient location; in the quiet village of Markinch, just outside the much larger town of Glenrothes, and is easily reached from the main arterial road which runs through Fife from the Forth Bridge to the Tay Bridge.
The hotel would make a good base for exploring the east of Fife, as the picturesque fishing villages of the East Neuk of Fife are an easy drive away, as is the famous golfing town of St Andrews. There are several other golf courses within easy reach.
There's also good beaches nearby, from Leven right around the coast to Tentsmuir, just north of St Andrews.
We will certainly stay at the Laurel Bank again.

Room Tip: Ask if there's a function planned during your stay, and if there is ask for a room away from the...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple