“Welcoming and helpful staff”

Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Glenrothes
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My wife and I stayed a week in early October, arriving early after flying from Boston. We were warmly welcomed by the receptionist, Lee, and immediately provided an available room despite the very early check-in. After a nap we were relocated to our preferred room free and without question. The housekeeper, Dayu, even asked what we would like for breakfast the next morning-- ultimately providing a hearty Scottish porridge just for us!

The room was very clean and comfortable and the hotel quiet. It was a perfect central location for us, golfers. Equally as handy, the best restaurant in the town was right next door. With the UK drinking and driving laws, it was great to enjoy a beverage or two and be able to walk back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Lynsay F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Don A

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a fantastic review regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes.

I am delighted to read your comments regarding the service you received when you stayed with us. Our team does their best to make our guest's feel welcome during their stay; it is always great to read comments about the service the team provide.

I am very pleased you experienced our usual high standards throughout your stay. I hope you enjoyed your golfing trip to Scotland and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Hadn't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before and arrived quite late on a Friday evening. We were given a warm and helpful welcome from the receptionist. My room was on the 1st floor and while I requested a room away from doors and stairs (which I know can't be guaranteed) guess what, my room was near a noisy door. The room was clean and comfortable but the mattress was a bit too soft for me. We ate in the Fettykill Fox next door which was convenient with a varied menu.

Breakfast was fine with a good selection.

It is a convenient spot for heading north or south

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank FionaT938
Lynsay F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear FionaT938

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes.

I am pleased to read that you received a warm welcome from the receptionist and that your room was to our normal high standards.

I am sorry that the room allocated was not as quiet as it could have been; we do try to honor as many requests as we can. Sometimes when the hotel is busy we cannot accommodate everyone. Please contact the hotel directly and we will do all we can to meet your request.

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes, I hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

We were moved to the Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes, during an emergency within our family.
We stayed for 10 nights and could not recommend the staff more if we tried, Lee & Lesley-Ann went beyond anything we had experienced previously to help us through what was a very life and death situation for that we will always be truly grateful.
The breakfast was more than adequate with cereals, toasts, scrambled eggs, sausages etc.
The room 107 was very comfortable for our needs with housekeeping doing a fantastic job, clean towels everyday.
No negatives what so ever. Thank you x

• Stayed: September 2013
Lynsay F, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear natstanden

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our team, we do try our best to look after each of our guests’ and help them as much as possible. Lee & Lesley-Ann would like to thank you for the chocolates you left for them.

I will make sure they are recognized at the hotel!

I will pass your comments onto all team members; we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

stayed for three days as part if a large group booking. Unfortunately we were not told that the twin rooms booked were actually a room with a double bed and a sofa bed. Great if you had the double BUT being middle aged my body did not take to a 3 inch mattress to well. Hotel then explained they only have 6 twin rooms but forgot to mention this when we booked. Do check this room fact when you make your booking.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear geob01

Thank you for your recent review of us at the Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes.

I am sorry to read that you did not expect to have sofa beds in the rooms. As you have mentioned we only have 6 twin rooms in the hotel. This is normally stressed to anyone making a group booking and that the majority of rooms will be sofa beds.

I apologise that this was not explained clearly to you at the time of booking.

The bedrooms are due to be refurbished soon and this is one of the areas we are looking into. We will be changing some of our double/sofa bed rooms into twin rooms so that we can accommodate groups better.

I hope That we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Two nights 8 & 9 September 2013 in room 246, upstairs and nearly furthest from the road looking out over the car park at the front. It was quiet and pleasant decor, with locked door to adjacent room, so could be combined with another room if required.

With twin beds one is against the bathroom wall with a small bedside cabinet between the beds, so limited space between beds. However the other bed has good amount of room between it and desk / window area, so there could be a better layout, but they are fixed in relation to combined bed head. (see photographs)

There's plenty of space for cases etc with a stand and shelf, also tea / coffee facilities.
Wi-fi is available free, but you have to get user name and password printout from reception and it will only work with one device, we did manage to get a second one as we both needed to work on separate laptops.

Neither the wash basin nor the shower could provide reliable hot water no matter how long you waited, it was cold or tepid at the best regardless of time of day. You could wait until it was tepid, get in shower and next moment it would be cold. This was reported to reception on departure, it may or may not affect other rooms.

Breakfast is included with a reasonable range on offer, although cooked items on both days were limited to just sausage, beans and scrambled egg, certainly less than any other HIE I have stayed in in UK or abroad.

Be wary of the supplied address and postcode by satnav / GPS, it took me and apparently may others to a school a couple of miles away ! In fact the hotel location is more Leslie than Glenrothes, and not quite as obvious as most hotels as it's by the roundabout but at a lower level and set back. Keep your eyes peeled for The Fettykil Fox too, the restaurant / pub next door, you may spot that first. It's convenient and we had good meals there both nights, with good friendly service.

Room Tip: Upstairs and away from the stairs, towards back of car park, but facing out to it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Lynsay F, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Fuartholl

Thank you for your review of us at the Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes.

Firstly I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay regarding the water temperature.
The maintenance manager looked into this issue straight away and it is now resolved. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I am disappointed to read that your expectations were not met regarding the free Express Start Breakfast. There are standards in place for this; some items are required while others are optional.
Please feel free to send me an e-mail with suggestions on how we can improve our breakfast from experiences you have encountered at other HI Express hotels and in turn we will be able to improve ours. lynsay@hiexpressglenrothes.co.uk

Some guests have experienced problems with the Sat Nav or TomToms they are using. Our postcode does seem to cause problems with newer models for some reason. One of the reception team is always on hand to give directions via the telephone or we can e-mail directions prior to arrival.

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

The room was great. The service was terrific, I messed up and lost my keycard and they were very kind. Internet cost extra (but was very fast), but breakfast was included and was good! Comfy bed and good room. There are stairs, rather than a lift, but not too many! Plenty of parking and I would really recommend it as a great stayover place with good sleep quality!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear sandyosullivan

Thank you for taking the time to write your review for us at the Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes.

I am very pleased you experienced our usual high standards and enjoyed the free Express Start Breakfast. As mentioned we did charge for our Wi-Fi, we now offer free Wi-Fi to all of our guests.

Thank you once again for your review. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

My friend and I came up to Glenrothes for a Tae kwon do tournament and found this a great place to stay. The room was clean and functional, the beds super comfortable, and the staff really friendly. Buffet breakfast was fine, and the pub next door excellent for an evening meal.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Mark H

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am delighted you had a comfortable nights sleep in our hotel, the comfort of our beds is mentioned quite often.

Our team does their best to make our guest's feel welcome during their stay; it is always great to read comments about the friendliness of the team.

Lynsay Findlay

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenrothes
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Kirkcaldy
The Gilvenbank Hotel
The Gilvenbank Hotel
#8 of 9 in Glenrothes

Been to Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes? Share your experiences!