“Worth seeking out” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Plough Inn
Ranked #7 of 65 Restaurants in Glenrothes
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A traditional country pub with a warm welcome, open fire and great quality pub food. Now on Winter hours, food available Friday to Sundays, all day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Bookings highly recommended as The Plough has a small dining area and kitchen, and it can be very busy at times. Hours advertised are Food Hours, however the Bar is Open until late. Drop in for a friendly pint!!
Cupar, United Kingdom
“Worth seeking out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Lovely pub in the quiet village of Star.

Very friendly and helpful staff, good beer and surprisingly delicious food at a sensible price. Open fire in the bar and a nice clean formal dining area. Best to book, if you want a dining table.

An easy country walk from Markinch for lunch or summertime dinner.

• Visited March 2014

Glenrothes, United Kingdom
“excellent bar lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor we went there yesterday the 22nd of March what s lovely little pub and a really nice lunch menu I had the mushroom and haggis starter which was delicious my husband had the fish my son had the steak pie and I had the chicken chow mein all plates were over flowing and piping hot the sweefs were wonderful the sevice was excellent and the waitress was very friendly I would definitely recommend this little pub for a bar lunch

Visited March 2014
Markinch, United Kingdom
“Great Little Country Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

It's been over twenty years since I last dined at the Plough Inn, but having failed to get a table at the Balbirnie Bistro for a family gathering, we headed east to Star of Markinch. And what a good choice it proved to be!

Although the Bar and Dining Room were just as small as I remembered, it didn't feel cramped at our table for four. We were promptly seated, coats removed, menus proffered and drinks orders taken in a flash. The service throughout the evening was equally good too.

Although the menu was limited it covered a good range of Starters, Mains & Desserts. None of us ordered a Starter and were thankful for that when our Main Courses arrived. We all had a different dish but each plate was full to overflowing with fish, steak pie, chicken or macaroni. Although my brother-in-law couldn't change his mash for chips, I don't think he was too disappointed at the extra side order of chips. He certainly polished them all off. The fish, very fresh according too my wife, and my mozzarella-topped macaroni were both served up with chips and massive mixed salad.

Despite the size of the mains, they all, apart from me, plunged into equally generous portions of Sticky Toffee Pudding or Chocolate Fudge Cake. I was quite happy to savour my pint of Belhaven Black (available on draught)!

And the prices, well let's put it another way, the two nearest competitors, the Laurel Bank and the Balbirnie Bistro were beaten hands down by the Plough when you add together Quality, Portion Size and Prices. All in a very convivial country pub atmosphere which is so hard to find around here in these days of Wetherspoons etc.

Full marks to the staff at the Plough Inn and I won't wait another twenty years to return for a meal!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank HowieFyffe
Levenmouth, United Kingdom
“Really nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Really nice little pub/restaurant.
6 of us attended and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their individual dishes. Special mention for the cheese board very good value for money.
definitely be back soon.

• Visited March 2014
Fife, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great little place, definite value for money!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

My friend and I have just had a fantastic 3 course (huge portioned!) meal and soft drink each, and the total bill was less than 40 pounds! Good selection of food, nice atmosphere, very friendly and helpful staff- with no unnecessary hovering - a definite plus in my book! We will definitely be returning to try some of the other things on the menu, I would recommend to everyone.

Visited February 2014