“Pub Lunch”

The Plough Inn
Ranked #6 of 70 Restaurants in Glenrothes
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A traditional country pub with a warm and welcoming open fire . Food is served from 5.30pm on Thursday and Friday. On Saturday and Sundays food available from 12pm - 8pm. Booking Essential Bookings highly recommended as The Plough has a small dining area and kitchen, and it can be very busy at times. Hours advertised are Bar hours,however the Food is available at times within these hours. Drop in for a friendly pint!!
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pub Lunch”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Great wee pub for lunch. Nice atmosphere and not too pricey either. Big portions that are almost too filling

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank daveac100

Glenrothes, United Kingdom
“Not quite as good as reviews made out”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My wife and I decided to try the Plough for an evening meal, it was fairly busy. The menu has a good selection of food, I ordered the soup cullen skink, my wife did not have a starter. I have to say Cullen Skink is one of my favourite's but on this occasion I was not impressed, it was more like leek and potato with fish not creamy at all. The main courses were better, but the chef has a love of putting lots of green stuff on everything. Not quite sure it goes with fish and chips. Its not a place I would rush back too. but if you are in the area worth popping in.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Ingy56
Cupar, United Kingdom
“Worth seeking out”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Lovely pub in the quiet village of Star.

Very friendly and helpful staff, good beer and surprisingly delicious food at a sensible price. Open fire in the bar and a nice clean formal dining area. Best to book, if you want a dining table.

An easy country walk from Markinch for lunch or summertime dinner.

• Visited March 2014
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
“excellent bar lunch”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor we went there yesterday the 22nd of March what s lovely little pub and a really nice lunch menu I had the mushroom and haggis starter which was delicious my husband had the fish my son had the steak pie and I had the chicken chow mein all plates were over flowing and piping hot the sweefs were wonderful the sevice was excellent and the waitress was very friendly I would definitely recommend this little pub for a bar lunch

Visited March 2014
Markinch, United Kingdom
“Great Little Country Inn”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

It's been over twenty years since I last dined at the Plough Inn, but having failed to get a table at the Balbirnie Bistro for a family gathering, we headed east to Star of Markinch. And what a good choice it proved to be!

Although the Bar and Dining Room were just as small as I remembered, it didn't feel cramped at our table for four. We were promptly seated, coats removed, menus proffered and drinks orders taken in a flash. The service throughout the evening was equally good too.

Although the menu was limited it covered a good range of Starters, Mains & Desserts. None of us ordered a Starter and were thankful for that when our Main Courses arrived. We all had a different dish but each plate was full to overflowing with fish, steak pie, chicken or macaroni. Although my brother-in-law couldn't change his mash for chips, I don't think he was too disappointed at the extra side order of chips. He certainly polished them all off. The fish, very fresh according too my wife, and my mozzarella-topped macaroni were both served up with chips and massive mixed salad.

Despite the size of the mains, they all, apart from me, plunged into equally generous portions of Sticky Toffee Pudding or Chocolate Fudge Cake. I was quite happy to savour my pint of Belhaven Black (available on draught)!

And the prices, well let's put it another way, the two nearest competitors, the Laurel Bank and the Balbirnie Bistro were beaten hands down by the Plough when you add together Quality, Portion Size and Prices. All in a very convivial country pub atmosphere which is so hard to find around here in these days of Wetherspoons etc.

Full marks to the staff at the Plough Inn and I won't wait another twenty years to return for a meal!

Visited March 2014