“Please thnk twice”

The Gilvenbank Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Glenrothes
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Terrible quality bed / mattress; cheap sheets not fitting bed; cheap, noisy mattress protector that one ended up laying on every time one moved in bed because the sheets didn't fit the mattress properly; cheap, thin duvet; dreadfully creaking floor boards throughout upper landing and rooms (and its a modern building so why this is I don't know), wafer thin walls between rooms such that EVERYTHING is audible from not just the room next door but wider.

Very bland place. Also doesn't take AMEX.

Staff friendly and reasonable breakfast but other issues make this hotel one to be missed I am afraid.

I am a regular business traveler and this hotel doesn't live up to basic expectations. I would actually pick a TravelLodge over this place and that's saying something.

Room Tip: I had room 3 - AVOID! But I am not sure any room would be much better.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Simon W

Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed two nights in this hotel and attended a wedding there. It was a lovely place, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was lovely, especially the breakfast! The girls on reception just couldn't do enough for you. It was a very busy hotel, with a party being held the night before the wedding and a large wedding do all the next day, plus non-residents dining at the restaurant as well as the hotel guests, but that didn't stop the seamless running of the hotel. The wedding was well arranged and carried out, the decorations were fantastic. The whole experience was wonderful and very memorable!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Whenever we are in the Glenrothes area, we always eat at the Gilvenbank. The food is of a high quality and well presented and is extremely good value for money.

The staff are attentive and efficient and there is never a wait for food to arrive in spite of the fact the restaurant is frequently busy.

Toilets are also very clean and accessible, no complaints there either.

All in all a really good eating place - thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Booked my daughters wedding in the Gilvenbank including wedding ceremony the whole weekend was fantastic and the staff at the hotel should be congratulated for all their had work and effort in making my daughters day wonderful. All the guests commented on the great day they had, anyone who wishes to book a function/wedding in the area look no further, cant speak highly enough of the Hotels expertise in making the day an enjoyable and happy occasion.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank shiner139
Reviewed 13 July 2013

My fella and I have stayed here on many occasions and have loved the welcome always. The staff are polite, well presented and very helpful. No request is a bother for them. The quiz and karaokes are great fun too and a live act every week. always something to do. The prices are also good. The breakfasts are brilliant, everything you could want and suits all tastes, the meals portions and drinks prices are constant, not raising slowly every odd week like one i could name. The hygiene practices of staff on the floor and bar are also good, eg, hands washed etc. Only one minor point though, the rooms do hear noise from the corridor, but this is all. Not a huge problem. Outside seating area with huge parasols and heaters, so its lovely sitting out at night. A great place to stay for a quiet night, or two away, or a night out.

Room Tip: Better views from the front rooms, the back ones have a lot of privacy with trees. Family room is ma...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Stopped off here for a quick dinner en route somewhere else and really did enjoy it. Found it to be great value for money. The menu is varied and when the food arrived I was pleased to see it was presented well with ample portions. The food itself isn't fancy but then the prices reflect this. Service was good, and I definitely wouldn't hesitate to return when in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This review is on the restaurant, not on the hotel, as I haven't stayed here.
I've been to this restaurant before a while back, but it didn't make an impression on me, as I don't remember how it was.
But as we were passing through here today, we thought we would give it a try again, I must admit, I wasn't expecting it to be that good, but the food today was great, both myself and my partner thoroughly enjoyed our meal, plenty choice and superb value, a 3 course meal for 10:95, how they can do it for this price is beyond me.
I had mushrooms on garlic bread in a creamy sauce, was yum, perhaps a bit too much for a starter, I was worried I wouldn't be able to manage my main, I had Mexican chilli beef for main, and it was delicious....but I couldn't eat it all, so no dessert for me, was full to the brim, but very satisfied.
My partner had pâté then steak pie then cheesecake, n he loved all his meal too, we left saying that we will return and tell all our friends.
I love finding somewhere where the food is how I feel it should be, tasty and worth the money.
As it was such a gorgeous afternoon we sat outside in the sun too, felt like we were in Spain, but it was just costa del cadham....

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple