“Staff Great, Food Hit and Miss and Thin Walls”

The Gilvenbank Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Glenrothes
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Spent three nights here on a business trip and first off I have to say all the staff were excellent, friendly and helpful. The receptionist even oferred to drop a postcard in the post box for me on her way home, now that's service.
The rooms were a little tired but nothing a coat of point, a bit of grout and some new sealant wouldn't fix and not enough to stop me staying there again if I was in the area. TV reception in the room was very poor with the majority of channels having a signal too weak for the programme to be shown. Perhaps signal boosters or a Satellite dish should be considered? However as I think has been mentioned before sound certainly travels between rooms. Be it the TV in the next room, the folks in the corridor or the lady next door snoring during the night. I was greatful for the ear plugs I always carry just in case. This was compounded by the thin curtains which didn't block out the carpark lights.

I dined in the hotel both nights and the Ribeye steak on the first night was excellent. However as a party of four on the second night it was a little hit and miss. My starter of fish cakes was let down badly by the excessive amount of oily dressing on the leaves beneath the fish cakes. Another in the party had the sizzled prawns, which turned out to be prawns bathing in a deep dish of sizzling oil, not the best prawn dish ever eaten. However my main of ham, eggs and chips was once again excellent. Breakfast on both days was very good with reasonable choices, the excellent full Scottish was however let down by a cheap sausage that appeared to have been deep fried?
To sum up, there are much worse places to stay and I will stay there again if I'm in the area but it's a shame the food and the rooms are not to the same standard as the staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night in December. Finding the hotel was not easy! No signs to indicate where it was, after driving around for over half an hour, we finally saw the hotel from another road and managed to get there in the end and this was with help of satnav! We parked up and got our bags out of the car, there appeared to be plenty of parking space. The receptionist was quite to the point, no pleasantries to be had, not even a smile, booked in and told where are room was, no offer of assistance or a "have a nice stay" even. The room was of good size, as was the bathroom. The bed was quite uncomfortable, mattress very thin and felt like it was on top of a solid base, no give a all. Linens and towels clean and smelt fresh. As we were in Glenrothes for a party, I had checked on the hotel website to see if they had hair dryer, iron, ironing board etc. The website said these facilities were in room, however, only the hair dryer was in the room. An ironing board and iron did appear outside someone else's door and then seemed to travel up and down the hallway. There were tea and coffee facilities in room and toiletries and shower caps in the bathroom. The shower was useless! Hot, cold, then nothing at all, the shower is in the bath, anyone with mobility problems could struggle with this. We met with our group of friends, a majority of them staying also at this hotel, in the bar. The bar area seemed quite odd, tables and chairs at one end of a large room, but there seemed to be either a party or regular meals being taken at the other end of the room. You have to walk past all the diners to exit the bar.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I celebrated nye here with friends and family and I was slightly disappointed. It was around 54 quid for dinner and music.
We didn't get a welcoming drink and that was strange. .. not even one glass of cheap wine included, it would have been nice for a cheer at midnight.
Anyway. The worst thing was surely the food.
It was supposed to be served at 7:30 but they actually started at 8. As a starter I had haggis with potato, micro portion but nice. My husband had zechuan duck (not sure about the spelling. ..) and that was awful to say the least. Duck was overcooked and had the texture of a piece of liver. .. clearly cooked, frozen and re heated. Goodness grace it was dire. Then steak. I had lamb and the man beef. Consistance of concrete. You had to chew it for an hour before swallowing. Roasted potato still cold in the middle. Boiled vegetables. .. gosh, cannot describe them.
Dessert. I had cranachan, a Scottish thing supposedly made of whipped cream, whisky, oatmeal and raspberries. Mine was just fruit and whipped cream. I added the whisky myself. Husband had cheese board and that was a nice selection. .. with no chutney to be seen, unfortunately. Oh, my friend had chicken Balmoral. On the bone. It was actually served on the bone.
Music was ok... but surely it wasn't worth the money. I would have preferred a ceilidh band, but that's a very personal opinion.
Surely, not going back!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank ellie79
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Very disapointed, booked a large christmas party night for nearly 30 people. I was given a hospital date of the day before the event and i unable to attend.
i called explained my problem to a manager and asked if in light of the fact my party would be spending in excess of £1500 would i be able to get my deposit back was told no!
Was told to email if i had a problem which i did, this was 3 weeks ago, to date this remains unanswered

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Jayne K
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Iv never stayed over night in this hotel but me and my family go almost every week for dinner. Service is always really quick and food very good. It is pub food but at the highest end iv ever had really, menu is great and even the fussiest of eaters will find something they like. The only thing they could improve on is their desert menu, there is only 2 proper deserts on it and usually 1 special desert they tell you about on the night (if they havent already ran out). I dont really feel its enough... even if they put 4 standard puddings on the menu that would be fab and i would give it the full 5 stars.
Also go here on a sunday for the pub quiz.. its great fun for all ages over 18 of course!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Just spent a couple of nights whilst visiting family. We have stayed here on many occasions, over the years because the hotel is situated in a quiet location and the staff are so very friendly. On this visit we opted to stay in a superior room, which is spacious, a beautiful double bed and lots of drawer space. The bathroom is bigger than any other that we have come across in holiday hotels with ample toiletries and fluffy white towels. We had breakfast (full Scottish) which is very good value for money and includes cereals, yoghurt, fruit juice, fresh fruit and of course a LARGE cooked breakfast with tea or coffee and toast. There is some great entertainment over a week-end, and if there happens to be a wedding taking place the rooms are snapped up, so phone the hotel before you book on-line. There is one small downside, in that the upstairs corridor has very "squeeky" floorboards, and so do some of the bedrooms, but fortunately there are no rooms overhead. Highly recommended at a very, very, fair price.

Room Tip: Choose a superior room for that extra comfort for a small charge.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We had our evening wedding reception here on 28th September 2013. From start to finish it was an amazing night. We were greeted by a very friendly and efficient receptionist on our arrival. Check in was very fast. Our room was a family room, which was very big with a double bed and 2 singles. We requested a travel cot which was set up and ready to use (including sheets and a blanket, on previous hotel visits we've had to take our own). The room was spotlessly clean as was the bathroom.

The food served in the restaurant was great. There was a good choice of dishes on then menu and a children's menu was also provided. Service was fast and efficient and the food was piping hot.

The function suite was well set out allowing room between tables for our guests to mingle during the night. There was a good sized dance floor too. The service at the bar was quick, provided by friendly and pleasant staff. The food served for our buffet was amazing, a fantastic choice with more than enough for all our guests.

I thoroughly recommend this hotel. It's perfect for all functions and also a great place to stay, eat or a sociable drink.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenrothes
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Markinch
Lomond Hills Hotel
Lomond Hills Hotel
#1 of 1 in Freuchie

Been to The Gilvenbank Hotel? Share your experiences!