“Decent find”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Glenrothes
Dunkeld, United Kingdom
“Decent find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Last minute booking made online for a get away with my partner.

Found the hotel easy enough (using my sat-nav I may add) so dont listen to most of the other reviews about ending up in a estate as we were no where near one.

Welcome was warm and the room was clean. Matress wasnt the comfiest but made do for the night.

Restaurant was fully booked by the time we checked in but the girls behind reception and in the restaurant accommodated us without any fuss.

Quite a tasty meal aswell!!

Bit of a restless night what with the function going on but to be expected with a wedding destination.

Overall was a pleasant stay.

Would definitely reccomend!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Anerdeenshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Unlike previous reviews we had no difficulty finding the hotel. Brown tourist signs fairly clear. Hotel rooms were surprisingly spacious and well decorated. One of ours had French Windows which was great on a hot day. Very clean and helpful staff - much better than others of similar prices. Walls are thin and you can hear people going along the corridor. There was a wedding on and unfortunately our room was directly above the band- but it's a chance you take at this time of year. We would definitely return if in this area again and recommend it as a budget hotel

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Macduff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Finding the hotel is an issue due to very few signs and it the sat nav putting us into an estate. The hotel itself is nice enough but rather basic. Our door made a noise like a bomb going off when closing but the bed was comfortable. Food and service in the restaurant was very good despite it being very busy.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandyfroh
Stockport, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I must admit, I was not looking forward to staying, only because after I made the booking my plans changed and I could have done with staying in Dundee and the booking could not be cancelled.
That said once I arrived my view changed, the welcome was warm, the room clean and large. The only let down was noisy floorboards.

Food was excellent and service was good.
Don't trust your SatNav, it tries to take you onto the nearby housing estate.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Kirton in Lindsey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Spent three nights here on a business trip and first off I have to say all the staff were excellent, friendly and helpful. The receptionist even oferred to drop a postcard in the post box for me on her way home, now that's service.
The rooms were a little tired but nothing a coat of point, a bit of grout and some new sealant wouldn't fix and not enough to stop me staying there again if I was in the area. TV reception in the room was very poor with the majority of channels having a signal too weak for the programme to be shown. Perhaps signal boosters or a Satellite dish should be considered? However as I think has been mentioned before sound certainly travels between rooms. Be it the TV in the next room, the folks in the corridor or the lady next door snoring during the night. I was greatful for the ear plugs I always carry just in case. This was compounded by the thin curtains which didn't block out the carpark lights.

I dined in the hotel both nights and the Ribeye steak on the first night was excellent. However as a party of four on the second night it was a little hit and miss. My starter of fish cakes was let down badly by the excessive amount of oily dressing on the leaves beneath the fish cakes. Another in the party had the sizzled prawns, which turned out to be prawns bathing in a deep dish of sizzling oil, not the best prawn dish ever eaten. However my main of ham, eggs and chips was once again excellent. Breakfast on both days was very good with reasonable choices, the excellent full Scottish was however let down by a cheap sausage that appeared to have been deep fried?
To sum up, there are much worse places to stay and I will stay there again if I'm in the area but it's a shame the food and the rooms are not to the same standard as the staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
St Andrews, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night in December. Finding the hotel was not easy! No signs to indicate where it was, after driving around for over half an hour, we finally saw the hotel from another road and managed to get there in the end and this was with help of satnav! We parked up and got our bags out of the car, there appeared to be plenty of parking space. The receptionist was quite to the point, no pleasantries to be had, not even a smile, booked in and told where are room was, no offer of assistance or a "have a nice stay" even. The room was of good size, as was the bathroom. The bed was quite uncomfortable, mattress very thin and felt like it was on top of a solid base, no give a all. Linens and towels clean and smelt fresh. As we were in Glenrothes for a party, I had checked on the hotel website to see if they had hair dryer, iron, ironing board etc. The website said these facilities were in room, however, only the hair dryer was in the room. An ironing board and iron did appear outside someone else's door and then seemed to travel up and down the hallway. There were tea and coffee facilities in room and toiletries and shower caps in the bathroom. The shower was useless! Hot, cold, then nothing at all, the shower is in the bath, anyone with mobility problems could struggle with this. We met with our group of friends, a majority of them staying also at this hotel, in the bar. The bar area seemed quite odd, tables and chairs at one end of a large room, but there seemed to be either a party or regular meals being taken at the other end of the room. You have to walk past all the diners to exit the bar.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I celebrated nye here with friends and family and I was slightly disappointed. It was around 54 quid for dinner and music.
We didn't get a welcoming drink and that was strange. .. not even one glass of cheap wine included, it would have been nice for a cheer at midnight.
Anyway. The worst thing was surely the food.
It was supposed to be served at 7:30 but they actually started at 8. As a starter I had haggis with potato, micro portion but nice. My husband had zechuan duck (not sure about the spelling. ..) and that was awful to say the least. Duck was overcooked and had the texture of a piece of liver. .. clearly cooked, frozen and re heated. Goodness grace it was dire. Then steak. I had lamb and the man beef. Consistance of concrete. You had to chew it for an hour before swallowing. Roasted potato still cold in the middle. Boiled vegetables. .. gosh, cannot describe them.
Dessert. I had cranachan, a Scottish thing supposedly made of whipped cream, whisky, oatmeal and raspberries. Mine was just fruit and whipped cream. I added the whisky myself. Husband had cheese board and that was a nice selection. .. with no chutney to be seen, unfortunately. Oh, my friend had chicken Balmoral. On the bone. It was actually served on the bone.
Music was ok... but surely it wasn't worth the money. I would have preferred a ceilidh band, but that's a very personal opinion.
Surely, not going back!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank ellie79

Travellers are raving about these Glenrothes hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenrothes
BEST WESTERN Balgeddie House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Freuchie
Golden Acorn Hotel
Golden Acorn Hotel
#5 of 9 in Glenrothes

Been to The Gilvenbank Hotel? Share your experiences!