“4”

Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
“4”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Pretty good. Sometimes a long wait, but it is understandable, and a good price. One of the best in Kirkcaldy.

kirkcaldy
“Used to be great, went down hill a wee bit!”
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Now the Ming Sang has a special place in my family's history as for over 20 years my mum and dad have being using the place since it used to be called the Pollygram. They used to have a flat nearby and when they moved to the other side of town for a bigger house when me and my big sister came along, we still went as it was simply the best Chinese takeaway in Kirkcaldy. We used to love the special curry and fried rice so much, we used to have it for Xmas dinner so my mum didn't have to cook all day and we could all enjoy our favourite takeway. The special curry used to sting your mouth, and you would be ultra full with a half portion as it was stuffed with King prawns, beef, chicken, peas, mushrooms and onions with their amazing fried rice. Prawn crackers were a delicacy of their own.

Now if you read the above passage you will find a phrase that is used a lot........USED TO.....that is becuase for me the place has went really downhill. I don't know if it is the credit crunch or if they are that busy they don't mind losing loyal customers but I don't go there anymore because the last few vists have nearly made me go back for a refund. This only happened in the last few years, but one night I was working late and some of my co-workers who weren't from Kirkcaly asked me for a recommendation for a good local Chinese. I recommended the Ming Sang and also my personal fav, the special curry and fried rice. Let's just say I was embarrassed at what arrived. The special curry comprised of processed chicken chunks, stringy cheap beef and loads of peas and onions. There was only one small King prawn in the entire tub. The other stuff was of a similar state with the prawn crackers tasting like cuts of polystyrene.

Now I put this as maybe a bad night but with similar visits with my girlfriend and also with friends and family, it only confirmed that the place is no longer what it used to be. With the cheap meat (or lack of) and sightings of prawns being rare in their special curry, tired menu, manky shop front, staff with gruff demeanor and in look of a good wash. Also I wonder if they think is appetising having the chips piled up next to the counter where anyone can cough or sneeze on them and having mountains of prawn crackers in large tubs stuffed anywhere there is a space, underneath the counter, onto of the ancient fridge, under the sink etc. but it kinda puts me in the mood to try somewhere else........and I did, just down the road at the east end of Kirkcaldy high street, next to the Harbour bar, sits the Lucky Star. The most friendly, clean, ultra fast, value for money Chinese in Kirkcaldy with simply amazing food. Their chow mein is to die for, as is their peking style ribs, stuffed crab claws, smoked balck pepper chicken strips and special curry with fresh chicken breast, soft beef, large prawns and even squid......although the fried rice is still better at Ming Sang. Also their prawn crackers are nice a crispy and fresh unlike the polystyrene discs up the road.

So overall, if you have a car, and don't mind the extra 5 min drive, head to the Lucky Star, which serves up the best Chinese food in Kirkcaldy bar none!!! never a bad trip yet!

4 Thank scottishworker