“Perfection - Wedding Day made fabulous by Lynne and her staff from start to finish”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kirkcaldy
Dunnikier House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kirkcaldy
Reviewed 19 August 2010

No amount of words can do this hotel and their staff justice.
Lynne and her staff were exceptional throughout the year of planning until the last orders at the bar on our wedding day.
Ceremony excellent. Wedding breakfast rave reviews from all my guests regarding the quality and service of the food. Evening reception again rave reviews for the quality and quantity of the evening buffet.
We had booked all the rooms on the evening of the wedding and every guests needs were catered for.
Lynne is one in a million and can't thank her enough for making everything run like clockwork so we didn't have to worry about anything on our big day.
Exellence personified. Thanks again Lynne

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank kerryann67

Reviewed 11 May 2010

I stayed at Dunnikier House for almost 2 weeks while a family member was in hospital. The hotel is set in a lovely wooded location with superb walks and has a very homely atmosphere. On entering the reception area there is a very welcoming fireplace and many artworks. On our arrival the receptionist noted that one of our party walked with the aid of a stick and immediately switched around rooms to accommodate this. I ate in the hotel every evening and the food was excellent. The spaghetti carbonara was the best I'd ever tasted and the dishes were always creatively presented. My room was quite basic but very comfortable and gallons of hot water available for baths. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. It was refreshing to have such a good experience during such a difficult time.

Pat

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 March 2010

From beginning to end of our four day stay, with family and friends from all over the country we all of us experienced the most wonderful time ever. The staff, hospitality, hotel, meals were excellent. They organised very professionally our daughter Juliette and her future husband Kevin pre wedding arrangement, mostly by telephone from Cornwall with calm confidence and helpfulness. The actual wedding feast and the layout were of a very high standard, and, together with the evening entertainment, made it a day to remember. Our special thanks go to Lyn and the bar staff, thank you everyone for making this a very special occasion which we shall treasure for ever.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 25 January 2010

Being a veteran of 20+ Dunnikier visits I feel well placed to comment.

If you are looking for a concrete build travel lodge with uninterested receptionist and youthful clientele running the corridors all night, look elsewhere. If on the other hand you fancy a stay in a hotel which has a little character and a lot of care and attention, look no further.

The building itself is a beauty to behold, on a bright summers evening it oozes splenor, a magnificent backdrop to a chilled beverage. The location, surrounded on all sides by green land, is near enough to Kirkcaldy, yet far enough from hussle and bussle which may disturb sleep for some.

The staff are friendly and always happy to help with enough care to remember customers preferences even with months between visits. Given that Dunnikier is not your average box hotel chain, the staff have that extra personal touch you simply do not get elsewhere.

Lastly, the food. I'm a man of simple tastes, but I am always amazed how many people with the title of 'chef' cannot cook a simple steak. No such worries here, the grill selection has to be sampled, I have had no tastier slab of beef within the UK. The food tastes great and is served with a certain style; chips in a mini wireframe basket, an extra touch which finishes things nicely.

Objectively, being an old building mod-cons such as double glazing are missing. Whilst this may be a problem for some, I would much rather stay in a place with history and character such as this instead of a thrown up concrete and steel 'box hotel' with a super-attractive toilet pod bolted into the corner.

Would I recommend? In case 20+ visits doesn't confirm, yes, I would.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 December 2009

The initial appearance of the hotel and the way it had been decorated for the wedding was beautiful so we had great expectations. The ceremony at the hotel was great but then everything went down hill from there. After a very long wait we went to the room for our sit down meal and what more can I say but that the food was appaling and the staff and chef should have been ashamed to actually serve it!! We were promised many things by the staff that didn't happen so be very careful on what to believe from the staff. One of the bar men was very rude to a member of our wedding party. I am awaiting a reply from the owner of the hotel to my written complaint so i'll keep you posted. Very dissapointing as it could have been a brilliant day from start to finish. The rooms were ok but need some updating to deserve the full room rate.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank disappointed1Fife
Reviewed 13 December 2009

DO NOT TAKE THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON HERE AS GOSPEL ... please go and visit Lynne and her staff or have a meal as the standard from resteraunt to full wedding party was the same, make up your own mind but here is my review.... when planning my wedding i never anticipated that i would turn into a picky bride but on this occasion i just went for it, everything was going to be done my way :) and i couldnt have picked a better location and staff to help me, im sure all brides have there changes of heart or other problems but if this effected the venue every time i called i was always told "not a problem" or "come see us and we'll talk it through" the manager Lynne was briliant ... i wanted round tables for large party "DONE", I wanted dark purple to match my bridesmaid through the theme plus butterflies "DONE" centerpieces had to be certain height not too tall but still be the vocal point "DONE" even a passing comment regarding not happy with type of ceremony .. off lynne went and back with a leaflet with humanist wedding info and i had the most fantastic celebrant and a ceremony written by ourselves .. it was like she waved her magic wand and what i was thinking was sitting in front of me :) we had probably maximum people during the day.80 ish and 110 ish at night, including 10 kids aged 2-10 years old and everyone was treated like they were at the top table ... nearly ten weeks on im still getting people telling me it was the best wedding meal they've ever had ... im very lucky to be blessed with fabulous friends and family who made my day full of fun and love but i dont think any other venue would have been able to create such a wonderful atmosphere .. most of my immediate family stayed overnight and had a great time in the bar until early morning, most of us managed up for breakfast the next day which was just what the doctor ordered and all in all 5 STARS just doesn't seem enough for this wonderful friendly hotel ...

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank cheesyNkaren
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Attending wedding celebration in evening. The very large building was built over 200 years ago and has had many owners including the Local Authority. Surrounding grounds shared with golf club - quite an outlook. Does need a little improvement on outside and a bit tired inside but where would you start as it would cost a fortune.
Friendly staff at reception and went to room on second floor. Ok the stairs squeaked but really not a problem. Room was clean with superking size bed. Shower was over the bath and seen better days but functional. TV not flat screen but again worked. Pictures not screwed to walls as modern hotels.
Went to Bar Restaurant for late lunch. Excellent food for around £10 per person .
Average wine £3.50 per glass.
Wedding reception held in conservatory extension. Functional but again a bit tired
Breakfast following morning tasty and freshly cooked to order. Menu included porridge, cereals, fruits, eggs[ all ways], haddock, and usual suspects of sausage, bacon , black pudding etc . Really anything you wanted.
Did not pay a fortune [Wedding rate] so not unhappy.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkcaldy
The Dean Park Hotel
Balbirnie House
Balbirnie House
#1 of 1 in Markinch
Airth Castle & Hotel

Been to Dunnikier House Hotel? Share your experiences!