“stunning views”

Ranked #65 of 149 Restaurants in St Andrews
Price range: US$26 - US$53
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: St Andrews Bar & Grill is set upon a spectacular cliff-top with stunning panoramic views over both our Championship Golf Courses and St Andrews Bay. Serving traditional golfer fayre by day and the finest Scottish steak and seafood by night, Fairmont St Andrews pride themselves on sourcing, local, seasonal produce from the finest farms and suppliers in Scotland. Our Executive Chef has tailored our menu to showcase only the very best ingredients and their passion for promoting local food and drink. After dinner, enjoy drinks or a wee dram on our outdoor decking, the perfect place to watch the sun set over the historic town of St Andrews.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

went for lunch yesterday to the clubhouse with visitors from devon, stunning views over st andrews and beyond. very pleasant lunch from a fairly limited menu but still something for everone.

1  Thank sheena l

Reviewed 5 May 2014

My friend and I booked afternoon tea this weekend in St Andrews. I have to say it was a total rip off. The price was £18.95 which sounds reasonable, but not for what we received. Very manufactured food. The worst aspect was the 'DIY' tea!!! You get a tea bag and hot water! Not nice. Also we asked for two glasses of champagne to accompany our tea - at a whopping cost of £20 per 175ml glass!!! The hotel itself is very American-mall style. Over spacious with no character and the pub part where afternoon tea is offered is very very claustrophobic. So we ate in the hall area near the staircase which was better but obviously had a flow of people coming in and out. Afterwards we went to the spa which is hideously overpriced. Totally not worth it.

1  Thank pamsiva
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I booked afternoon tea as a 90th birthday celebration for a dear friend and was so disappointed. How difficult is it to serve afternoon tea 4 star? To be honest I wish I had just done it myself at home. The service was diabolically slow, the tea eventually arrived, a pot of water and tea bags?? DIY.? This took 35 minutes just to get the tea alone. I actually had to check with the waiting staff that we were here for the whole afternoon tea experience. EVENTUALLY... the sandwiches (stale) arrived. Totally uninspiring, ungarnished, dull. Yesterday's scones, no butter , no jam, and to finish an entire plate of shop bought cakes that did Not tempt me at all. Forget this and head straight for Gleneagles or at least check tripadvisor out first. When I complained politely I was offered a 50% discount. I was still robbed. Body's swerve this one.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We enjoyed our two night stay on a dinner bed and breakfast basis, except for the quality of the dining in the new La Cucina restaurant. The staff were friendly and helpful but not especially clued up, considering this is a five start hotel. The atmosphere was not great given that there was a mix of couples hoping to dine quietly and tables with families and small children who understandably make some noise. However what let things down for me was the food. My grilled king prawn starter consisted of three prawns that were anything but king size on a small bed of rocket. The prawns were unseasoned and very poor value for the £9 charge. The sea bream mains were again underseasoned and the skin was soggy. The pudding and cheese platter did redeem things to some extent so we thought we would give them another chance the next night! Mistake. We shared an antipasti platter which had the thinnest cut cured meats you could imagine with some harsh pickles and frutti di mostardo. No bread, no grissini to go with it. Our chicken mains were overcooked and underseasoned and the red wine that they were meant to have been cooked in was not in evidence while the tomato sauce they sat on was harsh. Although we chose a good pricy Italian red wine from the list it was served in the small wine glasses that were used for any red or white wine. Overall I think that this restaurant is not of a standard fitting this hotel which in other respects is very comfortable. We would have tried the other restaurant on the second night but the weather was poor and it is located at the golf club house some way from the hotel. The last time we stayed here we dined at the Squire which is now used mainly for breakfast and had two great dinners, so something has gone wrong in my opinion!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Went for lunch family yesterday and was very disappointed. Awful tasteless macaroni, processed burgers, oven chips, poor sausage and mash, old fish. We love food, we resented paying for this. Waiter huffed when asked for additional drinks, very sorry for asking... Anyway looks are deceiving, very grand location but no substance.