“disappointed with the food ”

Vic Pub\Kitchen and Social Club
Ranked #52 of 141 Restaurants in St Andrews
Price range: US$3 - US$14
Cuisines: Grill, Bar, British, Pub, Contemporary
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: The VIC is a twin venue of sorts, like the Olsens, except everyone here is a healthy eater and we don't see ourselves being billionaires anytime soon. There’s the pub/kitchen, which pretty much does exactly what it says on the tin, clinkity clink drinks from crafty craft beer to posher than posh teacup gin serves. Food glorious food, there may or may not be hot sausage and mustard (depending on the day and the chef's mood and whether or not we were able to catch fresh sausages that morning). The social club, although on the same floor as the pub/kitchen, is on an altogether lower level morally. The DJs are fresher than the air up on the 11th hole, totally non generic and they show up and play records really good. Then there's the one off club nights, the ceilidh and a whole bunch of other great stuff.We’re all about cheap as chips food, shin digs befitting of this ancient old town, cocktails, fairy tales, and pretty much anything else we can get away with doing in a licensed premises that won't result in our long suffering manager and his associates spending a casual weekend in the jailhouse.Free wifi access is available every day of the week, ideal if you’ve got a working lunch or just feel like a nosey on Facebook.
Galashiels, Scotland, United Kingdom
“disappointed with the food ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

My friends and I come in here fairly regularly but had not been in since the change in menu. We felt that the half the new menu consisted of burgers and some of what is left is overpriced and you have taken baked potatoes off the menu why ? The service from the waiter was good would give him 5 stars but the food was very disappointing. We all had burgers which are now served in what can only be described as dog bowls rather than on the boards like they used to be. The rolls aren't as good as they used to be and the el bandito burger that I had totally lacked any flavour other than HOT. My two friends were very unhappy with their food and wondered why you changed the burgers in the first place as they were so tasty before. I would not return here until they changed the menu again hopefully back to what it was before.

Vic C, Manager at Vic Pub\Kitchen and Social Club, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thanks for writing us a review, Lucy.

Our gourmet burgers have always been a popular favourite on our menu, especially with our awesome 2-4-1 deal. When we re-launched our new menu we decided to expand and give the customers what they wanted - more choice and variety. This has resulted in NINE new burgers and the expansion of THREE new hotdogs. (But don't worry, we kept the favourite burgers from the original menu that everyone loved and we've given people the choice to adapt and add on extras!)

We still have plenty of alternate options available including our extensive new breakfast menu, new additions to our starters like our fat potato wedges and mozzarella sticks, full and half rack of ribs and new variations of toasted sandwiches, salads and side orders! There's something for everyone :)

It's obviously disappointing to hear that you didn't enjoy your El Bandito, especially since it's a popular favourite! If you can, please email us at hello@vicstandrews.co.uk so we can discuss your comments further and so we can show you why our menu is so amazing.

We look forward to hearing from you again.

Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom
“Perfect for a drink or a bite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Amazing atmosphere! great servers and a bar tender who knew what he was doing. The food was delish - the menu is awesome and super unique! and we finished with gorgeous jam jar cocktails that made the experience. I wish I lived in St. Andrew's so that I could make this my hang out!

Visited July 2014
Thanks for the amazing review, Molly!

We love that you enjoyed your visit to our venue and finished up your evening with one of our amazing jam jar cocktails! They are pretty awesome, right? :)

Have you ever considered moving to St Andrews? That means you can come hang out with us all the time and try out ALL our cocktails!

Come and see us again soon!

Paisley, Glasgow
“So disappointed!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Having been here a few times previously, I was so disappointed with our visit today. My husband and I had a few precious hours to spend alone and decided to lunch here. The service was incredibly slow and the staff we're disinterested at best. I opted for the 'el bandito' chicken burger and when it arrived 45 minutes after ordering it was lukewarm and bland. The curly fries were burnt and overly crispy. I wasn't expecting culinary wonders but it was nowhere near the standard I have sampled here before! For such a quirky place it's really sad to see it let down by simple customer service!

• Visited July 2014
Thanks for writing us a review, Laura!

We're obviously really disappointed and rather surprised to read that you feel our staff were 'disinterested', especially since our team are always extremely enthusiastic about their work and service.

We can only apologize for the delay during the lunch service but as you could probably tell, we're a busy little venue. If you can, please can you email us at hello@vicstandrews.co.uk so we can discuss your comments further and so we can prove how great we really are!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Ayr
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Popped in for lunch with friends as we hadn't been since it's revamp. Anyone who went previously should be prepared for a distinct change of menu and atmosphere. Although 2 of my companions had adequate meals, my husbands melted cheese on thick crusty bread consisted of 2 pieces of thin crusty bread with melted cheese and a approx 10-12 fries. Very poor value for £5.99. I was Most disappointed with my £7.99 chicken salad which in reality was a bowl of lettuce, tomatoes and onion with a bit of chicken on top. I did asked the waitress what the salad consisted of prior to ordering and was met by a look of complete bemusement. I did complain and we weren't charged for it.

• Visited July 2014
Thank you for taking the time out to write us a review on your recent visit.

We're obviously very upset to read that you left our venue feeling disappointed with your food and felt it wasn't value for money. We strive in being the best we can be so it would be greatly appreciated if you could contact us at hello@vicstandrews.co.uk so we can discuss your comments further.

We hope that you'll return and give us a second chance.

Dundee, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I arranged to have a cocktail making class followed by a two course meal here on Saturday for my friend's hen do. Getting this arranged was so easy and I felt like Kevin who helped set it up was great at putting up with my panicked phone calls :) the class itself was brilliant fun and was so accommodating for those who couldn't drink as they were driving and for the youngest bridesmaid who couldn't drink. There were three delicious cocktails for those that could drink and some gorgeous mocktails for those who couldn't drink. Duke who taught us how to make the cocktails/mocktails was great and would highly recommend him! The meal was also absolutely delicious. I cannot fault these guys they were so accommodating and gave my friend the best hen night ever!! I should say we also ended up here again later in the evening because we liked it so much and then went for breakfast too haha!! Thank you guys for giving us such a brilliant night, WE WILL BE BACK!

1 Thank Madeleine1991
VicCafe, Manager at Vic Pub\Kitchen and Social Club, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Your review has made our day, Madeleine!

The team are over the moon that you enjoyed your cocktail masterclass and had an amazing hen night! Duke loved looking after you guys and it's great to know he was able to train you all up and make you cocktail making masters :)

Hurry back and see us again soon!