“Great Food, Long Wait”

Price range: US$3 - US$14
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The VIC is a twin venue of sorts, like the Olsens, except everyone here is a healthy eater and we don't see ourselves being billionaires anytime soon. There’s the pub/kitchen, which pretty much does exactly what it says on the tin, clinkity clink drinks from crafty craft beer to posher than posh teacup gin serves. Food glorious food, there may or may not be hot sausage and mustard (depending on the day and the chef's mood and whether or not we were able to catch fresh sausages that morning). The social club, although on the same floor as the pub/kitchen, is on an altogether lower level morally. The DJs are fresher than the air up on the 11th hole, totally non generic and they show up and play records really good. Then there's the one off club nights, the ceilidh and a whole bunch of other great stuff.We’re all about cheap as chips food, shin digs befitting of this ancient old town, cocktails, fairy tales, and pretty much anything else we can get away with doing in a licensed premises that won't result in our long suffering manager and his associates spending a casual weekend in the jailhouse.Free wifi access is available every day of the week, ideal if you’ve got a working lunch or just feel like a nosey on Facebook.
Reviewed 1 August 2014

After a girly shopping trip in St Andrews, I decided to stop at the Vic for some yummy food with my mum and sister as I have heard very good things about the place however, there was some disappointment.

The interior decoration and atmosphere is young, fun and energetic, it is beautiful and unique...definitely different. Seats are very random; some hard, some cushioned, some foldable...but yeah, it added to the atmosphere although try get a seat you are comfy with...mines has super amounts of base padding!

Menu is pretty standard and has plenty of options even for me, the fussy one; I decided to go for original burger and cheese (without cheese and plain) as everyone loves a good old burger! Loved the pint glass that my coke was in also, very traditional pint glass which I absolutely love and just the right amount of ice. However, it was once the order was placed that the experience went downhill.

After waiting half an hour, the staff member in charge apologised for the delay with the food however, it then took another ten minutes for the first of our orders to arrive which was my mum and sisters basically "cheese on toast with chips" which was a little burnt but they still enjoyed it. It took a further five minutes for my burger to arrive however, it had the wrong fries; I got curly fries and just wished for the standard ones. The staff member got this sorted and brought the meal back out with standard chips however, the burger did have mayo on it but it was a thin enough layer for me to scrape off.

The food was good however, the delay was very disappointing as I then had to rush to work once I was finished. I would like to say a big thanks to the staff member who served us as he was lovely and paid attention to all the customers there despite being on his own.

Vic C, Manager at Vic Pub\Kitchen and Social Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time out to write us a detailed review on your recent visit to our venue!

We're obviously delighted to read that you enjoyed the food and that our team were able to amend the issue with the chip mix-up.

We'd like to apologize about the delay and would like to know more information. If you can, please can you contact us at hello@vicstandrews.co.uk to discuss this further :)

We look forward to hearing from you again!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Lunch: fajitas, burger, club sandwich (no, I did not eat them all but was lunching with two others). Food was good, service friendly. Pity about the decor (but I am entering middle-age) but food was good and service friendly, prices fair IMHO.

Thanks for the review and your comments about our amazing food and service.

We're sad to read that you didn't appreciate our quirky decor, especially since it's one of the many factors that makes the Vic so awesome :)

Come see us again!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My friends and I stumbled across the vic bar by accident and I'm glad we did! Great night was had by all, fab music, great bowls of punch and cocktails served in jam jars.

We're really glad that you stumbled upon us too, Debbie!

Thanks for the awesome review and it's great to read that you had an amazing night!

Come and visit us again soon! :)

Reviewed 27 July 2014

A perfect ending to a lovely day out in St Andrews. Great service by all the staff, excellent food recommendation by Stefanos. Food arrived and was great and I even stretched to desert.

A great relaxed atmosphere, great music and I would recommend that you stop by.

1  Thank katiej4500
VicCafe, Manager at Vic Pub\Kitchen and Social Club, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Cheers for the great review, Katie!

It's good to know that Stephanos looked after you and recommended a few of our top dishes! You'll need to come back so you can try out the rest of our amazing menu!

Can't wait for you to return!

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

My friends and I come in here fairly regularly but had not been in since the change in menu. We felt that the half the new menu consisted of burgers and some of what is left is overpriced and you have taken baked potatoes off the menu why ? The service from the waiter was good would give him 5 stars but the food was very disappointing. We all had burgers which are now served in what can only be described as dog bowls rather than on the boards like they used to be. The rolls aren't as good as they used to be and the el bandito burger that I had totally lacked any flavour other than HOT. My two friends were very unhappy with their food and wondered why you changed the burgers in the first place as they were so tasty before. I would not return here until they changed the menu again hopefully back to what it was before.

Vic C, Manager at Vic Pub\Kitchen and Social Club, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thanks for writing us a review, Lucy.

Our gourmet burgers have always been a popular favourite on our menu, especially with our awesome 2-4-1 deal. When we re-launched our new menu we decided to expand and give the customers what they wanted - more choice and variety. This has resulted in NINE new burgers and the expansion of THREE new hotdogs. (But don't worry, we kept the favourite burgers from the original menu that everyone loved and we've given people the choice to adapt and add on extras!)

We still have plenty of alternate options available including our extensive new breakfast menu, new additions to our starters like our fat potato wedges and mozzarella sticks, full and half rack of ribs and new variations of toasted sandwiches, salads and side orders! There's something for everyone :)

It's obviously disappointing to hear that you didn't enjoy your El Bandito, especially since it's a popular favourite! If you can, please email us at hello@vicstandrews.co.uk so we can discuss your comments further and so we can show you why our menu is so amazing.

We look forward to hearing from you again.