“Just like home!”
Review of Shandon House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Andrews
Shandon House
Ranked #32 of 73 St Andrews B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed here for two nights in November while attending our son's graduation. It is impossible to rate it anything less than perfect as we own a B&B and can honestly say that Shandon House is run almost exactly as we run our own property and of course ours is perfect too! The room was clean, warm and comfortable and the breakfast was top quality, well cooked, plentiful and most importantly HOT! Shandon House is ideally situated in the centre of St Andrews, convenient yet quiet. Our only complaint..... it costs twice as much as we charge but that's what you pay in St Andrews.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 November 2013

A real home from home from two wonderful hosts in Liz and Stuart. Immaculate warm hotel with lovely cosy rooms and all mod cons. Right in the heart of St Andrews and a stones throw from all the major courses and attractions. Very reasonably priced and as travelling business people, the best breakfasts we've had anywhere, beautifully prepared and made with all local produce. A really friendly and relaxing atmosphere that makes you feel at home immediately. Definitely should be on everyone's tick list if you want a personal experience in St Andrews with the best breakfasts known to any man, woman or golfer!

Room Tip: All rooms are good. Some have bathrooms across the landing dedicated to the rooms. Really well appoi...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Wow! Thanks so much Stuart and Liz for opening your beautiful home to us. We arrived late as we were on the last leg of a 10 day golf trip only to be warmfully greeted by Stuart. Stuart was a pleasure to talk to and meet. Our room was the top spire sitting room on the 3rd floor. The location is spectacular!!! There were 2 of us in a 3 bed Room. We had plenty of room and our own bathroom. Squeaky clean and organized with beautiful comforters on each bed. We felt very relaxed and slept great.
Breakfast was exceptional. this is where we met Liz. Liz was wonderfully accommodating. We had been golfing for a week when we arrived and had been using a base layer undershirt which golfed in every day. We apologized to Liz for being a touch grassy. Liz immediately offered to wash them for us and then left them in our room for our return. What a wonderful gesture and a testament to the type of warm giving souls Stuart and Liz are. We certainly felt cared for and in great hands. Come morning I had the full Scottish breakfast with Haggis and dark pudding. The haggis was fantastic and I credit Stuart and Liz for their exceptional taste and high quality ingredients. We enjoyed the Shandon House so very much and truly look forward to staying again. Stuart and Liz thank you! We look forward to seeing you both again!!! Mark and Dan

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MarkZ414
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This guest house is in a very convenient location, it is around 15 minutes from Leuchars Train Station by bus with a 5 minute walk. As St Andrews is a very small town, the guest house was only 5 minutes away from the centre where most of the restaurants and shops are located. It is also only 5 minutes away from the beach. The couple who run the guest house are so lovely and helpful, and very welcoming! We stayed in a twin room which consisted of 2 single beds, a sink, wardrobe and tv were in the room and there was a beautiful bathroom across the hall outside the bedroom in a separate room. The room was very clean and there are complementary toiletries available also. There is a wide range of choices for breakfast such as English and Scottish foods as well as cereal and fruit. I would throughly recommend this guest house, I think that it is well priced.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

Our plans ended up changing after I'd planned for the family to stay there. Even though we haven't stayed there yet, Stuart and Elizabeth were so helpful with making our vacation plans that I really want to encourage others to try them. Stuart answered so many questions on a variety of topics, including the logistics of golf there, always very promptly and with a warm, friendly attitude that I'm sure their hospitality would be the same.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Tracy K
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This is purely on the customer service as I didn't actually get to stay in the accommodation due to their incompetence. After an enquiry for a family room, I was offered a room for the date I requested. I emailed my reply to book the room and called repeatedly to receive an answer machine, on which I did leave a message confirming the booking. Eventually I received an email stating that the room was no longer available. Have the owners never heard of common courtesy, or mobile email or call forwarding? Terrible way to conduct business.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank StewartL1970
ShandonGH, Owner at Shandon House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

This was a multiple enquiry which means it went to over 40 guest houses and hotels in St Andrews simultaneously. On a daily basis, we receive many multiple enquiries and we may only receive around 20% response to our offers of accommodation. We, therefore, must accept the first firm booking that we receive. I offered the gentleman accommodation, however, prior to receiving his reply, we received a telephone enquiry for the same room and dates which we accepted. The gentleman did telephone us and did send an e-mail reply, however, those followed the accepted telephone enquiry. My wife and I were both out at the time of the gentleman's call and he left a message. On my return, I listened to his message, read his e-mail and replied immediately. I apologised that the room was no longer available and wished him every success in finding another accommodation provider and also said that I hoped he enjoyed his visit to St Andrews.

We can receive several multiple enquiries for the same room and dates; several telephone enquiries for the same, several enquiries from our own website for the same, several enquiries from Visit Scotland for the same and several enquiries through the local information centre for the same. I cannot tell these enquirers that I cannot accept their request for accommodation because I must wait for a reply from a certain enquire. I believe all guest houses and hotels in St Andrews operate in the same manner. On accassion, if requested, we agree to hold the room until the enquirer gets back to us to confirm and then we always honour that arrangement.

The gentleman was unfortunate that a telephone enquiry was made soon after his multiple enquiry. I believe the other testimonials attest to the highly professional and friendly service we endeavour to provide all our guests.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

This is about a 4.6 or 4.7. The couple running it are very nice. The place is lovely, they were there when we arrived (unlike a couple at a B&B in Edinburgh).

If you shop around for a B&B in St Andrews, you almost get the idea there is a cartel of B&Bs, based on nearly identical prices, and identically strict cancellation policies. If there exist such a cartel, Shandon House lies outside of it. They have a generous cancellation policy, expressing trust in potential guests. They also permit take away, which is good since St Andrews is not entirely a 24-hour city.

The house has a certain charm and class. It is very well decorated, not kitschy like some B&Bs where I've stayed. They play nice music at breakfast, not pop or jazz. The breakfast is actually quite amazing. There was not too much of a continental option, if that is your sort of thing, but the full Scottish breakfast was the best I've had. They also offer fish (haddock or kippers), which I promised myself I'd try, but their sausage (which I usually don't like) and black pudding and haggis were so good, I could not miss a day. The time for breakfast is a wee strict (8:15-9) but once my wife slept in and they made her a tray. They had clipper tea which is of high quality. There was also a bit of shortbread left in the room the first couple days.

I will report one minor unfortunate incident. We tried to use the bedside lamp once before going to bed and either the lightbulb was poorly screwed in or the lamp itself shorted as it started flickering and smoking. I could not switch off the current, as the outlet was likely under the bed, so I had to unplug the lamp quickly and open the window. I told the owners the next day and they replaced the lamp right away. I guess that happens. However, aside from this, I would say there was only one plug that we could really use to charge a phone or computer, and it was poorly placed, being over by the dresser across from the beds and chairs, so it is not easy to put your computer down anywhere and work on it. The chairs also were small. The bathroom was nice and everything worked well. I will also say, however, that the bed was relatively uncomfortable.

The B&B has a good location, near other B&Bs but not too near a bunch of pubs or anything. It is quiet and a short walk to anywhere you would like to go. Nearly all guests appeared to be golfers, though we were not.

All in all, it is certainly recommended. It is not cheap, but nothing in St Andrews much is and it seems from other reviews you might manage to spend just 5 pounds less and get a worse room with much less service or no breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple