“All we had hoped for.”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in St Andrews
London, United Kingdom
“All we had hoped for.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Visiting with family for one night we had a large family room which slept five in comfort. The room on the first floor had a great view of the course and was quiet and clean. We had a place to park our car which we could also see from the room.

All the staff were helpful polite and welcoming. The breakfast which was included in the price was fantastic. Served in a great dining room with a view of the R and A clubhouse and eighteenth green.

Considering the size of the party and the location this hotel was fantastic value and we will definitely look forward to returning.

1 Thank SirGeorge61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Rusacks is a great place especially for golfers. We've stayed there many times but our 2-night stay this week was our best ever, thanks to really excellent, friendly staff, particularly in the delightful Rocca restaurant which alone was worth our 400-mile round trip. We had a window table overlooking the world famous Old Course and Sue, the restaurant manager, made us feel especially welcome. We shall most certainly "haste ye back".

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room overlooking the golf course (as opposed to the main roaD).
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Geoffrey P
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

My father and I spent 3 nights at the Rusacks Hotel whilst golfing in St Andrews. We were lucky enough to get a lovely, spacious room with incredible views of the 1st and 18th holes of the home of golf - and it certainly got us excited about our round on the Old Course! There were a few niggles with the room (tv reception poor, light not working) but the main criticism would be the state of the bathroom - which is in urgent need of refurbishment.

We found the staff throughout the hotel to be lovely, dinner in Rocca Bar & Grill was excellent and the locker room for storing golf clubs was really handy, albeit refurbishment is also required there.

All in all, a fabulous stay at an iconic hotel with the best location in town.

3 Thank Ryan3
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I've stayed in this hotel on several occasions and each time I've loved it but had some small problems.
This time we stayed in a lovely room overlooking the Old Course. It was a fair size and had a balcony and stunning views. The bathroom was a little tired and musty with no working extractor fan. Breakfast was good and service in the dining room was better than previous years. We had a drink in the bar and it was reasonably priced for a hotel bar with such fab views. The makeover of the public areas was much needed and has improved the overall experience.
Strangest thing that happened this time was that we had a twin room but when we returned on our second day it had been made up as a double. Cue this all having to be changed- very odd.
I would recommend this hotel- I normally prefer a modern hotel but views and history trump that here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Macdonalds is not my favourite hotel company as they are not adequately customer oriented but at least they are getting some character back into the Rusacks.  We had a lovely big family room for 4 overlooking the old course 18th fairway. Bathroom was good with plenty of hot water.

Restaurants have excellent food and service (they are owned by a different company) and hotel staff are friendly. But the hotel organisation could be better - when I asked about a child minder so we could play golf they told me that I had to call the local government (uk regulations restrict them from organising child minding but at least they could keep an up to date list of child minders like other good uk hotels);  the rooms can get hot but you cannot open a window; the internet service is the lousy pay-for bt open zone - difficult to access and slow; tv reception was intermittent on some channels. Given its prime position this hotel is really targeting well-heeled golfers, particularly Americans (it did not even appear in my wife's japanese guide to scotland !).

Best regards

1 Thank Baidun
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Booked this hotel as my friend was having her wedding reception in the restaurant. Good choice.
Room very small although clean and soft furnishings very nice. Shower door fell off when trying to have a shower in a very small shower cubicle!! Phoned reception to ask for a screwdriver (hubby a joiner) no-one had appeared 50mins later. This was a little stressful as trying to shower and get ready to attend friends wedding. By the time we returned to our room after wedding the door had been fixed.
Rocca bar and grill outstanding, food fantastic with attentive and friendly staff. If you like your golf then you will be blown away with the view out the bar/restaurant windows.
Alcohol is expensive but feel that comes with the territory. Sure there are some bars in town that you can get cheap wine, but who would want to leave the view?? Would come back here again, may look into bigger room next time though, our room was a classic double with views over road.

Room Tip: Pay extra for rooms overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I have stayed at this hotel with my husband, who has since past away.
I revisited the hotel as St Andrews was very busy the weekend of my stay.I would not have chosen to return to this hotel but it was the only hotel with beds it seemed.

In the past the Hotel was dirty and uncared for- I was pleasantly surprised during this visit.
The bedrooms were clean and fresh albeit very old fashioned worn furniture that had clearly seen better days.

I was upset by my personalcircumstances and the general Manger did little to soothe my distress, however his Housekeeping Manager (Aileen) came to my rescue. She spent over an hour listening to me and making sure I was happy with the room I was allocated. She took me to a number of rooms and made sure I felt comfot=rtable and cared for. She even booked me a table in the restaurant and checked on me the next day.Making sure I had everything I needed.

This member of staff goes the extra mile-I would most certainly return to this hotel and would recommend it to any lone traveller. Ask for Aileen the Housekeeper. She shoud be running this Hotel

St ANdrews is a lovely lovely town that offers the best of everything.

Room Tip: Ask to speak to the Housekeeper she will make you feel like the only person in the world and ensure...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo