“Really nice pleasant stay.”

Macdonald Rusacks Hotel
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Really nice hotel, super friendly receptionist and bar staff (we ate in the bar downstairs as it was a bit more relaxed) - great food too.

Bed a bit squeaky even if you only move a little bit only downside. We enjoyed our stay however and will come back to this hotel again when we return to St Andrews. If you want a view make sure you specify when booking though as we didn't have one.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your nice review. I will makes sure your comments get passed on to the bar, reception and kitchen team. I’m glad you are planning on coming back to the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you on your return. I have passed on you comments to my housekeeping and maintenance team regarding the bed so that we can identify and fix it and please accept my apologies if this inconvenienced your stay in any way. Thank you again for taking the time to write of your stay at the Rusacks

Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting my daughter, who is studying in St Andrews.
We chose the hotel because it allowed us to have our dog in the room. We didn't expect the dog to be allowed in the restaurant, but she wasn't allowed in the bar, which meant we couldn't enjoy a drink in the famous bar with the view over the golf course, which was disappointing. In my opinion, this hotel would be better NOT accepting dogs.
Our room was nicely furnished, but had no view (room 119). I loved the toiletries provided and liked the fact that fresh milk was available when making tea in the room.
At breakfast service was haphazard; the wait to be acknowledged and seated was bordering on rude. The choice of food was not as good as I expected. There was no vegetarian breakfast option (just tomatoes and mushrooms). The rolls were very small and dry, with only one choice of very insipid cheese. (It would have been good to have had more choice e.g. sweet pastries, different breads, vegetarian sausages, more cheeses). We had to ask several times for basic items eg butter. Tables were not being cleared as customers left, so we ate with other people's dirty plates and leftovers at tables around us. The breakfast room is a beautifully decorated room with great views over the golf course, it is a shame the food and service didn't match the surroundings.
We didn't eat in the hotel, but had an amazing Bangladeshi meal at a local Indian restaurant and also went to the coast for wonderful fish and chips.

Room Tip: Ask for view over course.
1  Thank gambiabev
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Guest

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the hotel.

Our pet friendly hotel is designed for pet lovers who just won’t leave their pet at home and we are delighted to offer this service as many hotels do not. However we do have a policy of no pets in any rooms that serve food and I apologise if this was not communicated to you before hand. Our Breakfast gets rave reviews on numerous occasions and I am disappointed to hear we didn’t get it right for you on this occasion. Please have confidence that your comments have already been communicated back to the restaurant and we will endeavour to get this right for our guests in the future.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed one night here as we both love St Andrews and was given it as wedding present. We had room looking over some other rooms which we were fine with as we enjoyed walking at the beach and have enjoyed the golf course many times. The room was clean only issue we had was a few of the fittings were loose. Staff were professional and breakfast was lovely will return as had lovely stay.

Room Tip: A room over looking the golf course.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive feed back and taking the time to put it on Tripadvisor. Im so glad to hear that you took advantage of our wonderful beach in St Andrews. Did you know that this was the beach they used to film Chariots of Fire? A little trivia for you. Thank you also for bring the loose fittings to my attention. We pride our self’s on the cleanliness and maintenance of the Hotel and I will pass this information onto our maintenance team who always take a pro-active approach.

Hopefully we see you back to the Rusacks in the future.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Our room was fantastic and offered wonderful views over St Andrews Golf Course. The hotel has wonderful features and paintings with the restaurants offering a lovely environment with great food. The hotel manager even took the time to talk with us after our meal to ask how our overall experience had been (a nice touch). We had a wonderful time in St Andrews and when we return we will certainly be returning to the Rusacks Hotel.

Dear Gordon

It was great to meet you at the hotel. I hope you, your wife and wee yin had a great day in St Andrews. I am glad you liked the hotel as we cater for families very well at the Rusacks and as you noticed we are a stones through from all the local amenities.

Thank you for taking time to write your thoughts of the hotel on Tripadvisor and I hope to see all 3 of you back one day.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Just returned from a wonderful weekend at this hotel! This was my first time in St. Andrews and I really couldn't rate it highly enough. On arriving at the hotel we were checked in by a lovely receptionist who was more than happy to share her knowledge on the local area. On recommendation from the receptionist we booked at a table at the hotel restaurant Rocca. I wouldn't normally eat in a hotel restaurant as I like to go out and explore but I'm glad I did as the food was really outstanding. We decided to have a few cocktails in the bar after dinner. The nice relaxed atmosphere made for a great end to the evening. The views from here would be fantastic in the summer as it looks right onto the golf course with the sea at the otherside. This hotel is in an excellent location just a short stroll into the main part of the town. Already planning a return visit!

Dear Guest

Hopefully it’s not your last visit to St Andrews. What a kind response, thank you. It makes my job very rewarding when reading about how guests like yourself enjoy all we have to offer from the views and location to our wonderful food and service. And I haven’t even mentioned our Scottish hospitality yet.

Many thanks again for your kind words and I hope to see you back at the Rusacks in the future.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed two nights (Friday/Saturday nights) for a 35 year university reunion. The first night there was a buffet supper for our group of about 70 in the basement bar and a set dinner in the dining room on the Saturday evening. The hotel bedroom was comfortable but, (unlike the rooms at the front of the hotel, that overlooked the Old Course) ours overlooked an array of outbuildings and house backs. The staff were friendly and helpful and the dinner of good quality. The hotel's location overlooking West Sands and the Old Course is fabulous. Unfortunately some aspects of the hotel let it down. Parking is very limited (although we always found a space), there is only one lift( and that very small), and some areas of the hotel are getting quite tatty. The carpet in our room was quite badly stained and not clean. We found long blonde hair in the folded bath mat in our en suite shower and the outside of the door to our room had the paint worn down to bare wood. Finally, I don't think that a hotel of this supposed quality should add £3 to the bill if one uses a credit card to pay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Guest

Firstly thank you for taking the time to post you views of the Rusacks on Tripadvisor. Feedback that is constructive or complementary is always beneficial to me in my position as General Manager. Thank you for your kind comments with regard to the staff and of course the food and service at the hotel. Due to our fabulous location looking onto the 18th hole at the old course our car parking can at some times be limited however there is ample car parking within a 60 second walk and of course on the streets at both side of the hotel. I have already passed on your comments to our Head housekeeper and her team as cleanliness is something that we are very proud of at the Rusacks. Once again thank you for your comments and hopefully I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed here as the Double tree by Hilton in Dundee was grossly "overbooked" and they put us to the Rusack in St. Andrews. I am really angry at Hilton. However, the Rusack is a lovely hotel and they made us feel extremely welcome under the circumstances. it is situated right beside the golf course. Every morning we looked out onto the course and the beach. We had dinner in both restaurants and both were first class. The bed was huge and very comfy and there was everything that you could want in the room. I did get a bit of scare when my husband turned on the television and the sound came from the bathroom!! Little did I know that there were speakers in the bathroom as well.
The receptionists were very helpful and nothing was a problem. I needed anti-allergy pillows due to asthma (feather ones are no good) and they were in my room in a blink.
Well Done, MacDonalds hotels.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Guest

Its great to hear that something good came out of a bad situation for you. We are so glad you had the opportunity to stay at a Macdonald hotel and more importantly the Rusacks. It really is good staff and fantastic service that makes a good hotel and we are in the fortunate position of having both. Hopefully you will now consider making a Macdonald hotel your first choice when booking somewhere in the future.
Thank you for you kind review and hopefully we will see you back at the Rusacks in the Future.
Kind Regards