“Pretentious, cold, noisy, and no hot water!”

Macdonald Rusacks Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in St Andrews
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Pretentious, cold, noisy, and no hot water!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I arrived at the hotel on a business trip for a week. The surroundings of the hotel were lovely on arrival, however parking was scarce, the car park holding 15 cars maximum. The reception and communal areas have great character, but I was then showed to my room. Upon entering it was so cold, with no central heating, a small electric radiator was sat in the middle of the room. The maid even commented on how cold my room was when speaking to her in the corridor. I headed to find the kettle, which along with the coffee/tea etc was stored on a tray on the top shelf in the wardrobe as though they weren't expecting anyone. The room was also very small and didn't have a full sized double bed. This was a problem as my partner was meant to be staying towards the end of the week. I then tried to sleep when I discovered my windows were paper thin. I had roadworks outside my window were traffic would build up, lorries, cars playing music, I could hear them all. Waking up for a shower was also difficult as it took 10 minutes to run warm water through and even longer to run it through the tap.
The breakfast was good however cooked breakfast was small; the restaurant although expensive was nice. The staff however were pretentious and most things seemed to be a pain for them.

I would not by choice stay again here.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed here to attend a wedding party only a few doors away. The welcome by the General Manger who came out to the car park to greet us as we arrived got us off to a great start. The lovely wide hall and staircases were extremely welcoming as were all the staff. The decor is very tastefully done as were the Christmas decorations. Our room was large and double aspect (325) with views over the golf course and over the old houses of the town. Well appointed with everything well thought out, an ice bucket, tea and coffee facilities, in fact the first time that I have had a Nespresso machine in the room. The bed was very large and extremely comfortable this is what we expect from hotels. The shower was large and worked well and the refurbished bathroom had been very well designed, often challenging in old buildings (I know I have refurbished a few). We had dinner in the bar as the dining room was very busy, the fish and chips was beautifully presented and delicious with piping hot fish. The breakfast was equally delicious with a very varied choice and offering locally sourced Scottish produce, the tables were attractively laid out. There were a lot of staff to serve and they were all very attentive. The hotel is walking distance to the main street and alongside the Old Course, sadly we had not brought our clubs. We thouroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that I had the opportunity to meet you both in the car park and get your stay at the Rusacks off to a good start. As I mentioned to you during your stay our Executive Chef has worked under some of the most celebrated Chef’s in the World and brings something a little bit extra to The Rusacks and Rocca that you can’t get anywhere else in St Andrews. Our rooms were refurbished this year to a very high standard and I am glad to hear you liked our new Nespresso Machines in the rooms. It was great meeting you both and I hope you had a good night out on the Saturday at your event. Maybe I will see you back in the new year for a repeat visit? Hopefully we meet again.

Kind regards
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

World famous hotel right beside the 18th fairway of the Old Course. Eight of us were there for a golfing weekend at St.Andrews. What a place. Superb rooms some with great views, attentive service from the staff and a very enjoyable experience. I have to say that the beverages are fairly expensive but bearing in mind where you are I suppose that is to be expected. Hopefully this will become an annual event and I look forward to visiting Rusacks once more.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Tripadvisor. Its great to hear that you and you friends had a fabulous stay with us at the Rusacks. Our location in stunning with views right onto the 18th hole of the Old Course. I have passed on your comments to my team who deserve every bit of positive feedback they receive. I hope to welcome you and you friends back next year on your next golfing expedition.

Kind regards
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the comfortable Rusacks. Our room was upgraded to the Bobby Jones Suite which was perfect for our family. We booked two rooms - the second was just right for our two sons and was conveniently located on the same floor. The Bobby Jones Suite is incredibly spacious, with a large living area, fireplace, dining area, separate bedroom and scenic views of the 18th hole and north sea. The staff was excellent in meeting our every request (which ran from requesting a late check-out for the smaller room to printing out boarding passes and delivering them to our room). The included Scottish breakfast was very generous and served in their main dining room, also with great views. One small improvement they could make would be to increase the selections on the room-service breakfast, which we ordered a couple mornings. But that was a small matter compared to the wonderful rooms and excellent staff at the Rusacks. We have previously stayed at the Old Course Hotel. While very nice, it is not as convenient to the town and University. Also lacks the old world charm of the Rusacks. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main hotel have great character. Request a view of the old course.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank havaneserule
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for recommending us on Tripadvisor. I’m glad to hear we looked after you and your family well. Most guests who stay with us are return guests and this speaks volume so its nice to hear you tried other hotels in the area and rate us the best. Our service, food, location and product are all industry leaders and the team and I are all very proud to work hear. I hope to welcome you and your 2 boys back in the future.

Kirriemuir, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Recently spent 2 days at this lovely hotel on business.A warm friendly hotel with staff that cant do enough for you. A very comfrtable hotel with superb food and a great location. Room looked out over the golf course to the see and had all facilities required. Will definately be back for leisure break in the future.

Room Tip: I am sure all will be of superb quality but one looking over the golf course adds to the splendour o...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Angie B
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadviror. It is staff that makes a good hotel so it is great in my position as General Manager of the Rusacks to hear such comments. Our food is second to none and now with 3 rosettes we are pushing from strength to strength. Its great to hear you enjoyed it so much and look forward to welcoming you back hopefully some time soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

This a favourite hotel of ours and never fails to please. All staff are excellent but a special mention to Lia on reception who welcomed us warmly and appeared to be at reception round the clock! A very comfortable room good breakfasts and a wonderful dinner in Rocca made it a special couple of days. We are already booked for December and January so they must be getting it right!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank STARKEY
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to put your opinion of the Rusacks onto Tripadvisor. We work extremely hard at the Rusacks to make our hotel the best in St Andrews and the secret to this is treating every guest like they are in our own home. Lia is the like the backbone of the hotel and thoroughly deserves all the praise she gets so thank you for your kind words. Our food is second to none and the bedrooms have just undergone a refurbishment which all in all leaves us working in a hotel that makes us very proud. Thank you again for you kind words and I hope to see you back one day in the future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

We were at this hotel at the end of October and generally it was really good - very smart room, reasonable price, good breakfast looking out over the old course, good service in the main - the only gripe and a reasonable one at that was that we got back one night just before 11 to find the bar closed and locked and no-one able to serve a drink other than bottled beer. Shame because otherwise this would have got 5 stars.

Room Tip: The third floor had just been refurbished and our room there was first class
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Its great to hear you had a fabulous stay with us at the Rusacks. Our food, location and beautifully refurbished rooms are a credit to St Andrews. Please accept my apologies with regards to the bar service. It is something I am looking into as you should be able to get served anything late at night. Thank you for taking the time to write about the Rusacks on Tripadvisor and I hope to welcome you back in the future.