“Very Poor Accommodation” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in St Andrews
Bellshill, United Kingdom
“Very Poor Accommodation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Arrived Sat 3rd May at approx mid day for a 2 night stay.
Sign in car park had said to leave luggage in car, which we did. Room was not ready, quite acceptable, but was asked to leave my car keys and housekeeping would see to things.
Returned at 4pm and given keys to Room 10. When we got there, no luggage, it was still in the car. No offer to give assistance to get our luggage.
On closer inspection, the room was dull and dingy with very limited external light.
It was located in a semi basement off reception and in my opinion very unsuitable for this class of Hotel.
I asked to be moved and was given room 20.
Again this was in the basement but had a rear access door and seemed much better.
We showered and changed and went out for the evening.
When we returned and went to bed we discovered that right outside our room in the back yard was the central heating boiler and plant room. It hummed and whined all night.
Over 2 full nights I think I got about 4 hours sleep.
It was a nightmare.
The Hotel is in an excellent location,
But I am afraid the rooms I stayed in were most definitely not suitable for a 4 star rated establishment.
There were other problems which in comparison were minor.
Poor service at breakfast, and disgustingly when we got back to our room on Sunday afternoon a carrier bag had been left presumably by housekeeping containing someone else's dirty discarded clothing and other rubbish.
All in all it would be fair to say we didn't enjoy our visit and won't be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest
Please let me apologise regarding the mix up with you luggage. I have passed this feed back on to my Front of house team and my Head Porter for review so that it does not happen again. With regards to the noise outside your room we have investigated this as there is nothing in the room outside bedroom 20 that would make such a noise however we will continue to monitor it. I am very sorry you had a bad breakfast experience and that something was mistakenly left in you room. Again your review has been shared with the whole team to ensure that these things don’t happen again.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed for 2nights and everything about the hotel was great. Only downside was the difference in price of £13.00 for the same drinks ordered in the Rocca bar and the gastro pub, don't know if it is ran by a different company.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for putting you review of the Rusacks Hotel onto Tripadvisor. I hope you had a great Birthday and made many nice memories of St Andrews to take away with you. The Rbar on the ground floor with its amazing views of the beach and the Old Course is positioned at the higher end of the market than our One Under Gastro pub and indeed the prices are slightly higher because of that.

Hopefully we will se you back in the future.

Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Great location overlooking the 1st and 18th fairways with views out to sea. Very friendly welcome from all staff, most accommodating in organising some quick lunch prior to a round of golf. Rooms were a good size and very well prepared, bathrooms were slightly small for two guys sharing ! lol We had a very early tee time on day 2 but the staff in the breakfast room prepared some hot food in readiness for us, most appreciated by us all.
Given the superb location together with the welcoming staff, I will definitely stay here on my next visit to St Andrews.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Rusacks Hotel onto Tripadvisor. The staff at the hotel really make it a great place to come stray and of course to work. Hopefully the early morning food didn’t put you off your golf swing. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Nice traditional Scottish building overlooking the beach & golf course & lovely picturesque views from the champagne bar. Hotel is very obviously tailored for the American golf tourist.

We were advise at check-in the gastro pub would be closed at 6pm for a private function - that's where we had actually planned to have our dinner & spend the evening !!!! If we had known this prior to booking we would not have booked.

The bedroom was fine & bed very comfortable, but the bathroom disgusting. In-grained dirt on the floor tiles, bath panel with paint flaking off, towel rail did not work, only 1 shampoo & 1 bath foam despite 2 guests in room.

The smell in the champagne bar was absolutely disgusting - there is obviously a problem with drains & sewage. It's not pleasant paying top dollar for a couple of drinks & sitting in the stench of human sh11tt. We moved to the hotel main sitting areas with our extortionately priced drinks.

There was a long queue for breakfast & the buffet part was ok, although some of the food items were not replaced, but the cooked breakfast was undercooked & cold.

On check-out there was a £1 charity charge on the bill. I don't mind giving to charity but I have never in my life had a hotel bill with a charity donation included.

When checking out I was advised that if I paid by credit card there would be a £3 charge, but if I paid by debit card or cash there would be no charge. Between business & leisure I stay approx. 60 nights p.a. in hotels & I've never been advised there is a credit card charge or charity donation charge when settling my bill.

We won't stay at this hotel ever again. It ruined what should have been a great Easter break.

To summarise: great location, fantastic views, nice common areas, filthy bathroom, smelly champagne bar, closed gastro pub, cold cooked breakfast, additional unforeseen charges at check-out.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Penguin0210
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Rusacks Hotel onto Tripadvisor. I am truly sorry you didn’t know our One Under pub was closed on the evening of your stay. It is something we have spoke about as a team so that we do not make the same mistake again. Most of our 70 bed rooms were refurbished last year with the remainder to be finished this winter. Im very sorry you didn’t think your bathroom was up to the standard you would expect. I have personally looked at every bathroom in the hotel to ensure that appropriate work is being prioritized with our maintenance team and that all bathrooms are of a high standard. Scottish water are finishing off a 4 month upgrade project of water pipes in the area which has caused an occasional smell however I am happy to report that the works are almost finished. Macdonlad hotels are very proud of our charity work and the £1 on your bill is of course optional and can be taken off your bill at your request.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a one night stay and would certainly recommend it. It is in an ideal location, staff are very friendly and room was spotlessly clean and just what we wanted. Breakfast was lovely overlooking the 18th on the old course. We will certainly return.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Rusacks Hotel onto Tripadvisor and thank you so much for your recommendation. We take great pride in our food and our service. Davie our head chef was the youngest Chef in the UK to receive the coveted Michelin star and anything that leaves his kitchen is always of the highest standard. Hopefully Ill have the opportunity to personally welcome you back in the future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

The location of the hotel is excellent, adjacent to the 18th fairway of the Old Course. The rooms are pleasant but no more, the bathroom had a number of cracked floor tiles and the room was a little cramped. Breakfast was reasonable - service was a bit slow and the breakfast was not of good quality, it was okay - no more. Lounge areas in and adjacent to reception are pleasant and the staff are mostly very helpful - I had a problem with my room key card on three occasions which was a bit of a nuisance but, generally, the hotel is decent enough and, as I said earlier, the location is second to none. Perhaps if it were to apply high quality service and principles then this could be an outstanding hotel. I would recommend staying here as a golfer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
SCOTLAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here in Feb04 but we have stayed here many times and each time there has been something different to see and do. Our room overlooked the 18th.hole which we both enjoyed my husband more that me because he does play golf. There are plenty of eating places in St.Andrews all reasonable price we did have breakfast at the hotel which was excellent we ate in the restaurant which is located down stairs in the hotel which is called The One Below which was excellent the waiter & bar staff were first class service was very quick highly recommended. All staff at the hotel friendly & helpful. There are nice good shops for a browse or to buy there is just one small supermarket Tesco's which was really handy to get little things for the day,plenty of sightseeing to do beach lovely to walk on we thought it would be cold & windy while we were there but it was sunny .Nice to see all the different nations students all friendly yes we do like St.Andrews can't wait for our next trip.

Room Tip: we always have good rooms but golf course rooms are the best if you like golf plus you get a sea vie...