“Worth another try”

Macdonald Rusacks Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel having had a really enjoyable trip last year. This time we had a few problems - a really terrible smell on the ground floor caused by drainage works (to be fair outside the control of the hotel) which meant that the bar was not very pleasant and also some surprisingly temperamental plumbing in the room.

However I struggle to see how it can be rated terrible as some have done - the location is great, the rooms are fine and the restaurant is really good with a stunning view of the 18th hole of the old course. Management responded promptly and sensibly to the criticisms above and have assured me that the smell has now gone and that they will look into the plumbing. As a result we will use the hotel again expecting it to up to its previous standard.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a refurbished room
1  Thank BrushM
There are newer reviews for Macdonald Rusacks Hotel

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

As I arrived at the rusacks I could not believe the the close proximity to the most famous golf course in the world. I have seen the 18 th hole on many occasions on the TV but to have my room overlooking was incredible (room 19 the st Michael room) my check in was pleasant and efficient I had driven for a few hours and was needing a pick me up and to have the latest pod coffee machine in my room was excellent. I was dining out in the evening but the reception staff were knowledgeable and pleasant in advising me. There is seldom any need for taxis and most landmarks in st Andrew s are within walking distance from this excellently positioned hotel. After golfing at the Fairmont next day I returned for a wonderful supper in the public bar the chicken on the bone was devine and was way above the usual fayre offered at the price. I cannot believe people who have scored this hotel down with regards the smell from the pipes as was evident on my stay also .this is St Andrews an ancient town with the infrastructure and facilities you would expect ,to blame the hotel for the age of the towns amenities is not on .I found this iconic hotel pleasant and loved having hidden nooks and crannies in the Lounge etc a real old hotel with up to date facilities to satisfy .

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mark B
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Mark

Thank you so much for you fantastic feedback. Our location at the Macdonald Rusacks is second to none and I am glad you enjoyed not only the location and views over the 18th hole of the old course but the close proximity to the town. Our Head Chef Davie is a wiz when it comes to food. He was the youngest Chef in the UK ever to have received a Michelin Star, quite impressive I am sure you will agree. I am happy to report that the engineers have now got to the bottom of the smell which started when the works by the council to upgrade the water pipes outside the Hotel started. Thank you again for your kind words and hopefully Ill have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

OK, first time was bad, but I try to be reasonable and give a place a second chance. It was after all, two years after the first stay. I think it had gotten worse - slow service, expensive, staff nowhere to be seen and the smallest of stale rooms. Never again.

Room Tip: Try a B & B elsewhere - there are plenty of good ones in St Andrews
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank regularguy55
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Guest

It is not often we get this type of review but when we do we take it very seriously! Firstly let me apologise and secondly let me assure you that I will personally feed this back to the managers and staff. We take great pride in our hospitality and service at the Rusacks and we will continue to train our staff to the highest degree so that future guests do not experience what you did.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed in the this hotel May 2014. We knew that due to its premium location, room rates would be expensive and so we were happy to pay the premium rate of £250 per night B&B. The hotel has a luxurious feel on entering and the staff were pleasant. Views from the bar are breathtaking overlooking the beach and the famous golf course. However, it very quickly went down hill once we went to our room. Furniture was very dated, chipped, and the wardrobe door couldn't be opened properly because of the main door closer. We understood that people would chose to pay a higher rate for a sea view, so the fact that we were located at the rear of the hotel was not an issue. However the bathroom was small, cramped and if you wanted to shower, (which was over the bath), you had to prepare for banging your elbows off the tiles. The bath panel was rotten due to water leaking over the side for some time. A further frustration in both the bedroom and the bathroom, was the poor lighting. If you wanted to get washed and dressed for going out, blowdry hair or put makeup on, you had to hangout the window to see what you were doing. Final insult was the shortbread left with the tea/coffee tray was out of date. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in St Andrews however we felt very let down and disappointed in the standard of room for the amount paid. Coincidence or not, when checking out, the member of staff refrained from asking us was everything ok with our room. We suspected she knew exactly what we would have said given the opportunity. Advice to visitors to St Andrews is yes, do visit the town, as it full of history, beautiful buildings and nice shops and restaurants. Well worth a visit. However do yourself and your wallet a favour, and look elsewhere for accommodation.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
1  Thank VonnieReid

Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your thoughts on Tripadvisor. I’m delighted you enjoyed the location and feel of the hotel however it disappointing to hear some of your concerns. Our beautiful building is 130 years old and with this comes many different room shapes and sizes which on most adds to the romanticism of the building. I will personally have a look at all the bedrooms at night to see if any of them need further lighting. Please let me apologise for the shortbread. I will speak to my Head Housekeeper about this to make sure it does not happen again.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Arrived Sat 3rd May at approx mid day for a 2 night stay.
Sign in car park had said to leave luggage in car, which we did. Room was not ready, quite acceptable, but was asked to leave my car keys and housekeeping would see to things.
Returned at 4pm and given keys to Room 10. When we got there, no luggage, it was still in the car. No offer to give assistance to get our luggage.
On closer inspection, the room was dull and dingy with very limited external light.
It was located in a semi basement off reception and in my opinion very unsuitable for this class of Hotel.
I asked to be moved and was given room 20.
Again this was in the basement but had a rear access door and seemed much better.
We showered and changed and went out for the evening.
When we returned and went to bed we discovered that right outside our room in the back yard was the central heating boiler and plant room. It hummed and whined all night.
Over 2 full nights I think I got about 4 hours sleep.
It was a nightmare.
The Hotel is in an excellent location,
But I am afraid the rooms I stayed in were most definitely not suitable for a 4 star rated establishment.
There were other problems which in comparison were minor.
Poor service at breakfast, and disgustingly when we got back to our room on Sunday afternoon a carrier bag had been left presumably by housekeeping containing someone else's dirty discarded clothing and other rubbish.
All in all it would be fair to say we didn't enjoy our visit and won't be back.

Dear Guest
Please let me apologise regarding the mix up with you luggage. I have passed this feed back on to my Front of house team and my Head Porter for review so that it does not happen again. With regards to the noise outside your room we have investigated this as there is nothing in the room outside bedroom 20 that would make such a noise however we will continue to monitor it. I am very sorry you had a bad breakfast experience and that something was mistakenly left in you room. Again your review has been shared with the whole team to ensure that these things don’t happen again.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed for 2nights and everything about the hotel was great. Only downside was the difference in price of £13.00 for the same drinks ordered in the Rocca bar and the gastro pub, don't know if it is ran by a different company.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for putting you review of the Rusacks Hotel onto Tripadvisor. I hope you had a great Birthday and made many nice memories of St Andrews to take away with you. The Rbar on the ground floor with its amazing views of the beach and the Old Course is positioned at the higher end of the market than our One Under Gastro pub and indeed the prices are slightly higher because of that.

Hopefully we will se you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Great location overlooking the 1st and 18th fairways with views out to sea. Very friendly welcome from all staff, most accommodating in organising some quick lunch prior to a round of golf. Rooms were a good size and very well prepared, bathrooms were slightly small for two guys sharing ! lol We had a very early tee time on day 2 but the staff in the breakfast room prepared some hot food in readiness for us, most appreciated by us all.
Given the superb location together with the welcoming staff, I will definitely stay here on my next visit to St Andrews.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Rusacks Hotel onto Tripadvisor. The staff at the hotel really make it a great place to come stray and of course to work. Hopefully the early morning food didn’t put you off your golf swing. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.