“Great location”

Macdonald Rusacks Hotel
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My son and I stayed at the Rusacks for two nights while on a golf trip to St. Andrews. It has a great location, just a chip from the 18th hole of the Old Course. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room was comfortable, but small and average at best. Our dining experiences were also no better than average. This hotel provides a great location for a stay in St. Andrews, but don't expect to be overwhelmed by the accommodations.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve P

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed as part of a large group for two nights in May. The weather was fab and the golf was apparently amazing. The staff was extremely nice. We were early and had to take our bags & clubs, etc down to a locker area for storage. There was one person to help which he valiantly did. Also, the clubs then needed to be schlepped back up (there were quite a few stairs and distances involved) to be used right away. It was a bit of a jumble and wonder if a room on the first floor for storing all our things would have been a better approach?

There is a smallish elevator to the rooms, (though on the third floor need you to climb a few stairs to get to some 4th floor rooms (?)) which is often used by staff. In the morning leave a couple minutes extra to use it, or there's an old large stairway that we used, too. it is original, charming, the steps a little angly shall we say, so just be careful. a little tricky after a couple of pints! The room was very large and the bed comfy and big called The Starters Box rm 325. We overlooked the old course from one window (all of which opened); bathroom was very good and must have been redone. It was large with a shower.

We ate at the restaurant and again the staff were super. The steak was cooked right, though 2 next to me were served raw instead of medium. It was just okay main course. My chocolate dessert was good. The bfast was really good, but I took the last to go coffee cup day one and they hadn't replenished on day two. It was just funny that a golf hotel ran out of to go coffee cups.

I found out about the botanical garden in beautiful St. Andrews on my own and think it would have been an excellent option for non-golfing partners and left brochures with the hotel staff who were very receptive to the idea. They were helpful with maps and directions so ask.

Room Tip: If you want a spa treatment it's elsewhere. Look on google, but definitely decide early as it is...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anita_Eyvind
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We checked in here at short notice because we wanted to be near St Andrews. The staff were very pleasant, helpful & eager to please. I requested & was given a room overlooking the 1st & 18th at the old course. The very helpful people at reception went to some considerable lengths to ensure that I got the room I requested. We had a wonderful meal & enjoyed the conviviality of the bar afterwards. The breakfast was substantial & a great variety was on offer. At all times the staff were pleasant, attentive & helpful. There was also secure parking at this hotel. The decor in my room was a bit dated but it did not take away from the quiet & the comfort of my accommodation.

Room Tip: If you are a golfer, ask for a room overlooking the 1st & 18th at St Andrews.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear guest

Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear the staff did the hotel proud by looking after you during your stay. We like to think we have a lot of great people working at the Macdonald Rusacks Hotel. Our award winning Rocca Grill restaurant is now the most decorated in St Andrews which we are immensely proud of so I am delighted you had the chance to try it out. Im glad you enjoyed your visit with us and hopefully we will see you back in the future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed for one night on a road trip around Scotland. Room was comfortable with a fantastic shower.
The staff were all friendly and helpful.
Whilst this hotel is not cheap, the location and view from the bar, across the golf course, is worth the extra money.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to put your review on Tripadvisor. Its fantastic to hear you had a great stay with us. Our location overlooking the 18th green of the Old Course and the Famous West Sands beach stands us out from any other hotel in the Town. Not to mention our warm, genuine Scottish hospitality which it sounds like from your note you encountered.

Hopefully we will see you back some day.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

This hotel exists mainly for golfers, and sits on the edge of the Old Course, with stunning views out to sea. We went into the bar when we arrived but there was a very unpleasant smell there, which I now see mentioned elsewhere. Should have been easily rectified by neutralising products which are available everywhere. Our room was pleasant and nicely furnished and spotlessly clean, with bottled water replaced every morning - a nice touch. The room was very hot, and the duvet was so thick we had to take it off, even with the window open and rain outside. The staff were, in the main, very pleasant and friendly, particularly trainee receptionist Emma who has her profession down to an art form. Not so the waiter who served us breakfast, and who lets the hotel down badly. I ordered porridge and when it came - minus the promised cream and/ or honey it was yellow, lumpy and looked and tasted like gravel. We are Scots, so we do know porridge. I chose the buffet and left the porridge. Next morning I enquired of the waiter whether there had been a problem with the porridge the previous day, or would it be the same this morning, to which he rudely replied that he had not served me with it so he didn't know! He said I should have complained at the time and fresh porridge would have been provided. When I said that this wouldn't have been possible, because porridge needs to be soaked overnight he launched into a diatribe about the correct way to make porridge, and that I didn't know how to do it, etc, etc. His training obviously did not include advice regarding dealing with requests, not arguing with the guests, etc. I would not return to that restaurant, purely on my experience with this man. I did complain about him at reception and suggested that someone needed to have a word with him, which I hope was done.

Room Tip: A ask for one overlooking the course.
1  Thank Ann C

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to put your review on Tripadvisor and thank you for mentioning our fabulous location. With regards to the Smell that we were intermittently experiencing because of the sewer works outside the building, we tried products to neutralize it however it had little to no effect due to the way the smell was entering the building. I am glad to say that the smell is no longer with us thanks to some ingenuity from the engineers….thank goodness. Emma at the reception desk is one of our new starts and I will make sure I pass your praise on to her. I am sorry to hear your experience at breakfast was not up to our high standards! This has been passed to the Restaurant manager for immediate action and retraining has already been scheduled to make sure this level of service is not experienced by another guest. Thank you again for posting your thoughts and hopefully I will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel personally in the future.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed in this Hotel and had an excellent experience. I often stay in Hotels through work on this trip I was on a short break with my wife. The Hotel is not cheap however given the Hotel is on the 18th Hole of the World famous Old Course I felt it was good value. The girl on reception was pleasant and very helpful I think her name was Emma. Our room was clean and spacious and catered for all our needs. The views from the Hotel over the 18th Fairway and of the beach in the distance are stunning. The food was lovely, location excellent and décor all very nice. It was also very pleasing to see the Manager in the reception area taking the time to speak with guests.

A very pleasant experience overall. I will definitely be back.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel having had a really enjoyable trip last year. This time we had a few problems - a really terrible smell on the ground floor caused by drainage works (to be fair outside the control of the hotel) which meant that the bar was not very pleasant and also some surprisingly temperamental plumbing in the room.

However I struggle to see how it can be rated terrible as some have done - the location is great, the rooms are fine and the restaurant is really good with a stunning view of the 18th hole of the old course. Management responded promptly and sensibly to the criticisms above and have assured me that the smell has now gone and that they will look into the plumbing. As a result we will use the hotel again expecting it to up to its previous standard.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a refurbished room
1  Thank BrushM