Macdonald Rusacks Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Dunvegan Hotel(St Andrews)
Ardgowan Hotel(St Andrews)
Hotel Du Vin(St Andrews)
Hazelbank Hotel(St Andrews)
Greyfriars Inn(St Andrews)
Kinnettles Hotel(St Andrews)
  • Breakfast included
The Russell Hotel(St Andrews)
Vardon House(St Andrews)
1,401 results
All reviewsrocca restaurantgastro pubgolf coursecream tealovely hotelamazing locationwest sandsreception staffshort breakpublic areasfirst classfantastic viewsdouble roomone night stayplay golfbreakfast roomlovely room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed at the Rusacks for a mixture of business and golf. I travel regularly to the Middle East and further afield, but can say that in terms of service, character and quality of the overall experience, the Rusacks can compete with the best hotels. The staff found the perfect balance between efficiency and friendliness without being overbearing, something many of the best hotels struggle to achieve. The location of the hotel is fantastic for proximity to the golf and for the bars and restaurants in town, with the iconic views from the hotel of the 18th hole and the famous Swilcan Bridge something to behold. The room/suite was of very high quality, traditional in style but with modern touches for added comfort which added to the enjoyment of the character and history of the building. Overall, a great hotel which I would highly recommend. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank EFCF
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear guest.

Thank you for your kind words. I think in any good hotel it is the staff that makes it what it is. We strive to give our guests a 5 star service while not being overbearing which can be difficult at times. We speak a lot about treating people like they were in our own home which seems to strike a cord with the team hear at the Macdonald Rusacks Hotel. Im glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully Ill have the chance to welcome you back in the future. PS I hope you got some good photos of the views!

Kind regards

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I travelled all through Ireland and Scotland and this hotel was by far THE BEST we have ever stayed in. The lady at the front desk was amazing, booked all our dinner reservations and spa appointments. Everyone was extremely helpful. The room was comfortable and a good size. (just stayed in a normal room - the suites looked amazing) Our favorite part was looking out onto the 18th hole of the Old Course every morning for breakfast. Oh and the restaurant!! Delicious food! We had lobsters - just caught that afternoon - and rack of lame. Service was phenomenal. I wouldn't stay ANYWHERE else next time we go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest.

Wow “the best you have ever stayed in”…..That’s an amazing complement, Thank you. Ill pass your lovely comments onto the my Reception Manager and her team as comments such as these are real motivators and really make the job worth while. Our Rocca Grill restaurant now has 3 rosettes and we are hopefull of a Michelin star sometime in the future. Davie Aspen our Executive Chef takes great pride in the food and level of service we provide and was once the youngest Chef in the UK to hold a Michelin star. With the training and plans we have for the hotel hopefully we can exceed your expectation once again on your return.

Kind regards

Reviewed 6 June 2014

My friends and I stayed at Rusacks Hotel recently. What a treat. A hotel right on the 18th hole of The Old Course. I believe this may be the most conveniently located hotel in St Andrews. Short walk to the starters shed, Short walk to restaurants and shopping. The staff was very helpful with our transportation as well as recommendations for dinner etc. The rooms were small but clean. Food in the grill room was fabulous. I would definitely stay there on my next visit to St Andrews.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My son and I stayed at the Rusacks for two nights while on a golf trip to St. Andrews. It has a great location, just a chip from the 18th hole of the Old Course. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room was comfortable, but small and average at best. Our dining experiences were also no better than average. This hotel provides a great location for a stay in St. Andrews, but don't expect to be overwhelmed by the accommodations.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve P
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed as part of a large group for two nights in May. The weather was fab and the golf was apparently amazing. The staff was extremely nice. We were early and had to take our bags & clubs, etc down to a locker area for storage. There was one person to help which he valiantly did. Also, the clubs then needed to be schlepped back up (there were quite a few stairs and distances involved) to be used right away. It was a bit of a jumble and wonder if a room on the first floor for storing all our things would have been a better approach?

There is a smallish elevator to the rooms, (though on the third floor need you to climb a few stairs to get to some 4th floor rooms (?)) which is often used by staff. In the morning leave a couple minutes extra to use it, or there's an old large stairway that we used, too. it is original, charming, the steps a little angly shall we say, so just be careful. a little tricky after a couple of pints! The room was very large and the bed comfy and big called The Starters Box rm 325. We overlooked the old course from one window (all of which opened); bathroom was very good and must have been redone. It was large with a shower.

We ate at the restaurant and again the staff were super. The steak was cooked right, though 2 next to me were served raw instead of medium. It was just okay main course. My chocolate dessert was good. The bfast was really good, but I took the last to go coffee cup day one and they hadn't replenished on day two. It was just funny that a golf hotel ran out of to go coffee cups.

I found out about the botanical garden in beautiful St. Andrews on my own and think it would have been an excellent option for non-golfing partners and left brochures with the hotel staff who were very receptive to the idea. They were helpful with maps and directions so ask.

Room Tip: If you want a spa treatment it's elsewhere. Look on google, but definitely decide early as it is tough to find services as they are pretty busy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends