“A Hotel to Match this wonderful setting”

Macdonald Rusacks Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in St Andrews
England
“A Hotel to Match this wonderful setting”
Reviewed 22 September 2010

I have stayed at The Rusacks before and always enjoyed my stay. This time we were treated to a refurbished hotel which was completed in time for this year's Open Championship. This is a splendid hotel in all its glory, typically Scottish, and part of the ancient town of St Andrews rather than one of the more modern hotels that have sprung up with completely contrasting architecture.

The reception staff are a delight and extremely helpful and seem willing to assist you with anything possible.

The rooms are all tastefully decorated and very comfortable. Everywhere the game of golf is apparent, hardly surprising really when the hotel backs onto the 18th fairway of the Old Course, ground that many a famous sportsman and celebrity alike have walked upon.

A large bar area provides beautiful views across the links and up to the famous Swilken Bridge that the likes of Jack Niclaus and Arnold Palmer have stood upon as an emotional swan song to their final Open round at St Andrews. The views over the beach are equally splendid for those who don't partake in the noblest of games. The service within here whilst very polite, could do a heavier foot on the accelerator and I observed a number of irritable guests at the wait for tea and sandwiches hence my lower rating for service.

The hotel has done an excellent job in renovating the bar at ground level of the hotel, now called The One Under. I enjoyed a couple of beers here whilst pondering the crossword and received excellent and friendly service from the bar staff, one of whom was a medical student at the University.

The Rocca Bar and grill is the refurbished restaurant within which I enjoyed a sizeable Scottish breakfast to see me on my way back south. In intend to dine in this restaurant on my next stay.

I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to other people (though not too many as I need to have rooms available for my next stay!).

I have already booked once more for November and aim to enjoy the fairways of the links (or not, depending on the mood of my golf clubs at the time). At the same time I may bump into my son who is studying at the University (in between parties) if he is prepared to take time out of the many student centric activities and meet his parents.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Spent a long weekend at the Rusacks and would highly recommend it. Great staff -friendly and very helpful. Lovely meal in the hotel restaurant. Nice room with great view. St Andrews great for a weekend break.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 10 September 2010

I visited this hotel with my mother and grandmother because friends of mine had raved about the impecable service and unbeatable view / location. Though none of us play gold we really looking forward to staying in the historical town and often visit. On arriving, the staff were very attentive and the manager, Kevin, even came out to ask if we needed anything. My mother had some requests (they always do!) and he was more than happy to help her. I was really impressed that a manager would go out of their way and be kind enough to attend to people when they don't really have to. The rooms were very clean - we got the most beautiful view - that was worth the whole trip!! Plus the decor was lovely -- very Scottish and traditional. The room size was large with a big bathroom and plenty of toiletries. I liked that everyone was very friendly and eager to help. That was such a nice touch. The hotel itself has a real country home feel. We had actually stayed at the Old Course the year before - and though it's an amazing hotel my grandmother hated it as she thought it felt very corporate. This is a totally different case - it's very cosy and warm. I liked that the hotel common parts and rooms were clean and tidy. The breakfast was delicious with lots of choice. I really enjoyed my stay and can't wait to visit again! Thank you to everyone at the Rusacks.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2010

A lovely hotel in a superb location. Our bedroom was small and the bathroom door which was a sliding door was almost impossible to open and close. It was also to the front of the hotel and there is quite a lot of traffic noise.

On the plus side though, the service was excellent. We missed breakfast and asked if we could just have tea and toast. We were brought a delicious breakfast of fresh fruit, cold meat and cheese, pastries, toast and tea even though breakfast had finished half an hour earlier. The staff couldn't have been nicer.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We stayed at the Rusacks around the same time last year and had a marvellous time. What a disappointment this time round! The hotel is wholly reliant on its location and past history. Our room was small, overheated and it took two attempts to check in as the first room offered overlooked the road. We had booked dinner for the evening, looking forward to a repeat of last year's delights. Sadly it was not to be. The restaurant appears to have changed hands, and prices have shot up. We both ordered steak, my fiance opting for a T-bone. Both meals were cold when they were served. We sent them back and the same piece of meat came back out (this would never happen on the continent). My meal was edible, my fiance though had to send his back again...it still was not cooked upon the third presentation...We called the head waitress over, she was very apologetic and we were not charged for our meal.
Next morning, deciding to adopt a positive attitude, we ventured downstairs for breakfast. Got a very nice table overlooking the golf course, had to wait ages for our cooked breakfast and.........yes, you guessed, it was cold........I left half of mine simply because I couldn't be bothered to go through the whole rigmaral again. The next morning, clinging on to hope, we tried again - shouldn't have bothered. Burned toast, surly waitress, no ham or cheese at the continental buffet, only one choice of juice, no bread, need I go on?
I would no longer recommend this hotel as a luxury get away.

cheshire
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Comfortable and clean, with friendly staff, the hotel was very pleasant but the golfing effigies are a bit ott but I suppose the majority of guests didn't mind as most were from the USA. As a golfer myself the position of the hotel is superb but five minutes walk takes you to the centre of St Andrews and a walk across the links takes you straight to the beach and the clubhouse, where lunch is delightful and you are made welcome golfer or not.
The restaurant, Rocca, was simply divine. Four of us ate different meals from the menu (which isn't too extensive) and there were clean plates all around. Expect to pay £180 to £220 with two bottles of wine for a three course meal for four. Breakfast was hot and speedy and will not leave you hungry. There may be more modern hotels in the area but this one will not dissapoint.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Having stayed at 7 different properties over a 17 day period in Scotland, as we were performing site visits for upcoming golf & travel Experiences that our company does for large groups, I have to say I was blown away by the Rusacks. It begins with LOCATION but doesn't stop there. The SERVICE was some of the best we've experienced anywhere in the world. Back to location: if you're a golfer or even just a fan of the sport and it's history, it is THE place to stay. Overlooking the Old Course, golf's Mecca, the history oozes out the corners of this historic building. Enough said.

On to SERVICE: being in the hospitality business we like to think we have a sharp eye for commitment to customer satisfaction. The team at the Rusacks embodies the type of SERVICE that makes a Guest want to return to the property again soon. Whether it's directions to local sites or making reservations for dinner, the staff not only gets it done, but gets it done with a smile. That kind of SERVICE is all too rare these days and as a person who travels for a living, when you are the recipient of that kind of commitment, it's refreshing. Huge props to the team at Rusacks for getting it right. Well done.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business