I have stayed at The Rusacks before and always enjoyed my stay. This time we were treated to a refurbished hotel which was completed in time for this year's Open Championship. This is a splendid hotel in all its glory, typically Scottish, and part of the ancient town of St Andrews rather than one of the more modern hotels that have sprung up with completely contrasting architecture.
The reception staff are a delight and extremely helpful and seem willing to assist you with anything possible.
The rooms are all tastefully decorated and very comfortable. Everywhere the game of golf is apparent, hardly surprising really when the hotel backs onto the 18th fairway of the Old Course, ground that many a famous sportsman and celebrity alike have walked upon.
A large bar area provides beautiful views across the links and up to the famous Swilken Bridge that the likes of Jack Niclaus and Arnold Palmer have stood upon as an emotional swan song to their final Open round at St Andrews. The views over the beach are equally splendid for those who don't partake in the noblest of games. The service within here whilst very polite, could do a heavier foot on the accelerator and I observed a number of irritable guests at the wait for tea and sandwiches hence my lower rating for service.
The hotel has done an excellent job in renovating the bar at ground level of the hotel, now called The One Under. I enjoyed a couple of beers here whilst pondering the crossword and received excellent and friendly service from the bar staff, one of whom was a medical student at the University.
The Rocca Bar and grill is the refurbished restaurant within which I enjoyed a sizeable Scottish breakfast to see me on my way back south. In intend to dine in this restaurant on my next stay.
I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to other people (though not too many as I need to have rooms available for my next stay!).
I have already booked once more for November and aim to enjoy the fairways of the links (or not, depending on the mood of my golf clubs at the time). At the same time I may bump into my son who is studying at the University (in between parties) if he is prepared to take time out of the many student centric activities and meet his parents.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Rusacks Hotel in St Andrews is a golfers paradise. Overlooking the world famous Old Course, you can indulge in a round or simply watch others tee'ing off from our comfortable R Bar. Our award-winning Rocca Bar & Grill serves the finest and freshest food against the backdrop of the Old Course's 18th hole. Our luxurious bedrooms are the perfect place to rest your head after a day exploring this beautiful seaside town. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotelopia, Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Rusacks Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Rusacks St Andrews
- Hotel Macdonald Rusacks
- Rusacks Hotel
- Macdonald Rusacks Hotel St Andrews, Scotland