“Jewel in the crown”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$127.90*
and up
Shore Excursion to the Kingsbarns Distillery and St Andrews from South...
Ranked #3 of 65 things to do in St Andrews
More attraction details
Owner description: The remains of St Andrews Cathedral, which was Scotland’s largest cathedral and most magnificent church, show how impressive it used to be. The museum houses an outstanding collection of early and later medieval sculptures and other relics found on the site, including the magnificent St Andrews Sarcophagus of Pictish date. The precinct walls are particularly well preserved. St Rule's Tower, in the precinct, is part of the first church of the Augustinian canons at St Andrews built in the early 12th century. There are splendid views from the top. Joint ticket available with St Andrews Castle - Adult £9 Child £5.40 Concession £7
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Make sure you visit both the Castle and Cathedral, visiting the former first. The Cathedral is a wonderful experience and lies in the centre of St Andrews. As in previous reviews, park at the world famous harbour and sample the coastal walk en route to the attraction.
The Cathedral is a spectacle visit and one our children tremendously enjoyed. Our children appreciated the Roman and Celtic artifacts in the visitor centre and the graveyard gave a ghostly feel. The flat tower is not for the faint hearted with its 80ft spiral staircase climb and subsequent decent - however, the views at the top are extraordinary across St Andrews, Fife and the North Sea were exceptional. We used the Historic Scotland membership but prices were accessible and reasonable in line with other local attractions.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,449)
All reviews
in 60 reviews
"andrews"
in 154 reviews

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I was driving around to find a place to park and i went past the cathedral and parked on the bottom side by the boating village. It was a wonderful little walk to take me through the ruins of the cathedral and really get a feel for this beautiful town!
I absolutely loved the way it was kept up and the great help the staff in the museum were. They were helping a family from another country get the most for the time in Scotland and it was wonderful to see such helpfulness. They were very interested in helping the family save money and get the most sites in as possible. Very impressed with that.
The cathedral itself is amazing, it stands in pure greatness, what is left of it. It has a presence that i could look at for days. I imagine on a gloomy day it even has its dramatic effect. I was lucky to have a sunny day. I highly recommend having a walk all around the cathedral and the castle and having a fish & chips in the fishing village, with a nice ice cream or sweetie after.
Oh, note, it is free to walk around outside, it is just a fee if you want to check out the exhibits inside.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Visited the 700 year old cathedral (or whatever ruins remain of it) on a clear sunny day. it must have been a really huge and majestic sight during its heydays. Situated at the edge of a cliff facing the North Sea signifies its importance. There were helpful signs all over enabling us a sneak into the past. Nice rectangular green lawn for the kids to run about in this picturesque setting.

1  Thank Kamarudzaman Z
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have visited the cathedral 7 times now and I never get tired. I have been here on bright and sunny days and also on traditional gloomy Scottish days. Whatever the weather may be, the gigantic ruins are remarkably photogenic especially with the sea at the background. There is a fee to climb up the tower but the grounds are free. One could truly imagine the grandeur of the cathedral during its glory days.

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This was a continuous day trip from dunfermline abbey today.again signs and parking not hot to get here.lucky again found a parking space right at a door into abbey grounds.I was really amazed at the ground this cathedral took up most impressed ,the existing building as such is left and towers are a worth the visit,lots of stone work to photograph again nice and peaceful ,my lucky day.I don't really know what to say on this visit ,except I was so impressed yet again by cleanliness and care that is put into the grounds,the workmen all out doing their bit but not in the way,it's in the town area,never saw any place for food but plenty shops ,can't see any problem taking a sandwich with you and having a seat.lots of paths so again wheel chair s and persons with sticks should not cause a problem to some areas,I found the grave yards were well kept and interesting.needless to say enjoyed photographing this site,well worth a visit.I think I skipped out on paying again as it's so open and to be honest never thought ,as I went out the tradesmens entrance to get my car,,but I will visit again and leave a donation .all in all I had a good time on my travels today.seeing more of Scotland's land marks than normal..