“Always worth a visit. ”

Book on TripAdvisor
More Info
US$115.79*
and up
Shore Excursion to the Kingsbarns Distillery and St Andrews from South...
Ranked #4 of 55 things to do in St Andrews
More attraction details
Owner description: The remains of what was Scotland’s largest and most magnificent church still show how impressive St Andrews Cathedral must have been in its prime. Its museum houses a collection of early and later medieval sculpture as well as other relics found on the site. Spectacular views from St Rule's Tower.
St Andrews, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Always worth a visit. ”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

My daughter(4) loves the cathedral grounds and every time we're walking around that area of St Andrews she enjoys going in and looking at the ruins and running around the big grass area(the cloister I think it's called?) by the museum and shop.
On our most recent visit with a friend of mine we decided to show her the museum and take her up St rules tower for the first time.

For me it's fascinating, initially built in 1158 and the largest church built in Scotland the ruins and museum are always worth having a walk around. I find it so beautiful that even in the middle of winter, on a miserable grey day the cathedral still stands out and looks majestic and still makes me go... wow.
The burial area is an interesting walk and just at the side is the pends gate which is an area I just love walking down.

St rules tower was the hit with my daughter though. Horrible climb up and down, mainly because it was just before lunch on a beautiful clear day so was very busy with people passing us in both directions on a very narrow and incredibly steep stairwell. Slightly nerve wracking with a young child but we kept her close between the two of us.

The top is worth it all. The day we were there it was perfect weather and we could see all the way to crail in the far distance one way and past tentsmuir the other way. Bright blue skies, warm sun and the most beautiful beach ever right underneath you!

If you've never been up, you absolutely must do it! Lovely photo opportunity and great views of the whole of St Andrews!

1 Thank Sarah270190

• Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Thai first
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“First word to come out of our mouths: wow!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

The ruins are majestic, beautiful, impressive. It is surrounded by a cemetery and broken walls. The locals seem to use the place as a park, to read and relax. I would too if I lived there!

There is also a tower in which you can climb if you pay the entrance tickets. The climb is about 154 stairs in an extremely narrow staircase. Claustrophobic will have a hard time. However, the view from the roof is fantastic. You can see most of St-Andrews, the castle's ruins, the sea and some mountains and fields. A very beautiful place.

Vashon, Washington
157 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Worth a Visit”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

If historic buildings are your thing then the Cathedral is well worth a visit. You can get a sense of the former grandeur of the place and there are helpful signs indicating the parts of the cathedral and other buildings used by the monks. There is also a tower that can be climbed but we didn't get a chance to do that.

Visited May 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great place, customer service poor”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My husband and I visited the castle and the cathedral buying a joint ticket at the castle. When we visited the cathedral it was unclear how you accessed the tower of St Rule's Church so my husband asked the member of staff at the visitor centre. The member of staff seemed annoyed at her conversation with the maintenance man being interrupted and abruptly said that if our ticket was genuine she would give us a token. My husband and I didn't appreciate the implication that our tickets were not genuine and so when the token s failed to operate the turnstile at the tower correctly (it turned freely the wrong way but only a half turn forwards) we did not feel the member of staff would be interested enough if we went to her for assistance.

Visited May 2014
Spalding, United Kingdom
143 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“nice setting”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

lovely grounds over looking the coast line, the Cathedral is in ruins but it has the presence of what was one a great place to worship. The grounds are free to walk around and well worth it. Was fortunate to go on a dry sunny day so the building was even more dramatic against the blue sky.

Visited April 2014