“Quiet weekend in”

Ranked #7 of 72 St Andrews B&B and Inns
Kinross, Michigan
“Quiet weekend in”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I cannot rate this establishment highly enough. It was great. Nay, outstanding. Every second here was like spending a second being swaddled in awesome. Thanks UK! I will return from the US in due course (pun intended).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Escondido, California
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My husband and I had the most incredible stay here this past August! Everything about this lovely b&b is delightful! Our room was super comfortable, the breakfasts were delicious, the location -ideal...and Jane and Hugh were amazing! We felt so welcome and well taken care of in every way. The location is just perfect, only steps from the Old Course #1 tee and #18 green(!) and also within steps of many fun pubs, restaurants and shopping. We can't wait to return here on our next visit to St. Andrews!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I took my maiden voyage to St. Andrews this summer and even surprised myself with the stay at the Fairways of St Andrews. Out of my two week Scotland stay, my fondest memories were my 4 nights at the wonderful Fairways of St. Andrews B & B. Literally a sand wedge away from the first tee/ eighteenth green of The Old Course and less than 5 minutes walking to the center of town. It is hard to improve upon the central locale. But our wonderful hosts of Hugh and Jane do not rest on the laurels of a B&B with only a great location. They took it up a notch by proving wonderful modern facilities with a warm personal attention to the traveler and top it off with delicious daily breakfasts.

For travelers coming in from the States, I highly recommend the wonderfully spacious top floor bedroom with views to the Old Course. New World accommodations, Old World at your front window and door. From my travels abroad, that is something that is not found everywhere. This place is special.

Room Tip: Top Floor!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JCabarcos
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Fairways of St. Andrews is amazing!! Jane & Hugh do everything in their power to make your dream vacation come true. From recommendations, to golf bookings, to treats left in your room each afternoon. Everything about our stay exceeded our expectations. Highly recommend the top floor room. The balcony gives you a view of the 18th fairway at the Old Course. How cool is that??? We made memories here to last for years. Our three weeks in Scotland were wonderful, but our four nights at "Fairways" was, by far, the highlight. Thank you, Jane & Hugh.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $$ and get the top floor room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Fabulous location, great service and possibly the best rooms in the old town.

I have to say that part of me didn't want to write this review as I wanted to keep this place a secret!

Was disappointed at a recent stay elsewhere where they wouldn't serve breakfast 5minutes after the deadline - this place was the total opposite, they didn't take their customers for granted

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just spent two days and two nights at Fairways of St. Andrews. During our U.K. trip we stayed in both hotels and bed and breakfasts. Fairways at St. Andrews was easily our most memorable. An outstanding room, a remarkable location, and hosts that are willing to help out in any way possible: what more can you ask?

Our first floor bedroom was spacious, tastefully decorated, and clean. The location, literally a wedge up the hill from the Old Course's first tee and starter, couldn't be more convenient. I felt like a VIP stepping out the front door and walking down the hill each day. Not a golfer? No worries. The location is also easy walking distance to all the shops, university, museum and other historical attractions. Our hired car sat along the 18th fairway watching the golfers. Never once did we feel the need to use it.

Hosts Hugh and Jane are gracious and personable. Jane prepared a fantastic traditional Scotish breakfast for me, while preparing a lighter meal of yogurt, toast and fruit for my wife. They also assisted me getting onto the Old Course when my time here was extremely limited. In addition Jane pointed my wife, a non-golfer, to fantastic dining and great place to have afternoon tea. When my golf rounds were over, Jane even helped find a shop that could ship my clubs back to the states...and obtained a price quote!

If we are able to make it back to St. Andrews, there is no question we will book at Fairways again.

• Stayed September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Just spent four nights with Jane and Hugh as hosts - this is a terrific little spot. As someone else pointed out, this is a guest house of three private, clean/fresh, and pleasantly decorated rooms with private baths. It is strategically located right downtown St. Andrews and about 1/2 a block from the Old Course. Jane is a charming hostess with a lot of local knowledge and in the morning she sets out a wonderful breakfast and will make fresh eggs to your liking. This guest house is a GEM - this is not a hotel, so don't expect a lobby, workout facility, or pool. But, their WIFI works and allows you to stay in contact with home and work.

Room Tip: The third floor room has a nice little balcony and views over the roof top of St. Andrews.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends