“Home from home ..” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in St Andrews
Yateley, UK
“Home from home ..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Just two "negatives" first. They are doing some refurbishment work .. so expect a little tatty-ness in corridors. And, its out of season, so only the lounge was open for drinks and food etc. BUT ... it didn't really matter ...

Apart from a warm welcome from the staff, and excellent service from the restaurant supervisor (Gill I think) ... the hotel location is great. You Breakfast looking over the bay and the old course ... simply beautiful.

The other major plus for me, was the bed. The most comfortable bed I have slept in for years. I got a really decent nights sleep before a very important meeting.

Finally .. what a breakfast too. The Full Scottish breakfast buffet - including haggis of course - really set me up for the day.

I hope to be returning to St. Andrews soon .. may even try and make a weekend out of it too!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PhilipRolfe, Manager at BEST WESTERN Scores Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear Pete 2306,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel, after your stay here last month. Apologies for the building work that is going on here, I appreciate that it doesn't show us in the best light, so to speak, but all our works will be done by early/ mid June and we should have things back to "spick and span" for then! The works to Hamilton Hall, which are next door and are not under our control, should be completed by the end of this year. We will have six great new rooms/suites to show for our work, so it will be worth it.

Great to hear that you slept well, that's often a problem in hotels that have old beds. Ours are all less than two years old, thankfully.

Thanks also for your kind comments about breakfast, and glad to hear that you enjoyed the haggis too!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, thanks again for taking the time and trouble to review the hotel.

Kind Regards,
Philip Rolfe.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Stornoway, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

The location is the best point about this hotel - ideal for golfers, a walk on the beach and walking distance of the centre of St Andrews. The staff are very friendly and I'm sure would help you with anything if you asked. There is a steep staircase as you walk in the front door and nobody available to help you carry your luggage, unless you go up the stairs to ask. Parking is also 'first come, first served' so you may end up having to carry your luggage a long way! My room was comfortable, but a little pokey and also cold upon arrival. I was three minutes late for breakfast on Sunday morning (which I accept was my fault), but I was 'told off' by the head waitress and given an explanation of how the restaurant had to be prepared for lunch. Breakfast was very tasty with a wide choice available.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, which I did, but didn't get one anyway!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Loretta137,

Thank you very much for your recent review. I was glad to hear that you mostly found our hotel satisfactory and I was particularly pleased to hear that you commended the staff on their friendliness.

With regard to help carrying luggage, there is always someone to assist with this and whilst we do not have a concierge (or porters) as such, this can easily and quickly be arranged. Apologies for your room being cold on arrival, it should not have been so and I am very sorry for this. I suspect this was because we have been doing substantial work to our hot water tanks, (increasing their capacity, mainly) and we have had some occasional problems since with air in the system.

I am sorry you were " told off" by someone in the restaurant at breakfast, three minutes late really isn't a major issue and I am sorry for this rudeness and inflexibility on our part.
Nevertheless, I was really glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and that you were very happy with the food and choices available.

Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee a sea view, but we always try our best to oblige, depending on how busy the hotel is.

We look forward to welcoming you back before too long and if you call or e mail me when you have made your booking, I will see what can be done to give you a view of the waves!

Best wishes,

Philip Rolfe
North Berwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Just returned from a FAB weekend at Scores Hotel, St Andrews. Rooms very spacious with fantastic views. Staff were very attentive and professional. Although there is a lot of construction going on next door , we did not find it intrusive in any way. Fab afternoon tea.
Hope to return soon.
Cathy & Alan Murray North Berwick

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
PhilipRolfe, Manager at BEST WESTERN Scores Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear Shuttletaxi,

It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and thanks for your very kind comments and for trusting us to look after you. I was particularly pleased to hear that you enjoyed your afternoon tea and I have passed on your comments to Chef and his team.
The work to Hamilton hall (next door), will be fully complete by the end of this year, but I hope the scaffolding there will be gone by the end of the summer. Our work, (constructing six new junior suites) will be complete by mid June. Thank you for your understanding and I was glad to hear that you weren't disturbed in any way.
Best Wishes,
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Very good hotel in great location undergoing extensive work although this did not effect our stay, main bar was closed as it was out of season.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear Brett B,

Many thanks for your review after your recent stay here and I was glad to hear that you had a good stay with us. Sorry that the public bar (Chariots) was closed when you were here, but it is due to reopen at the beginning of April. Unfortunately, it was just not viable in the depths of winter when we were so quiet.
I hope that we will be able to welcome you back before long,

With Best wishes,

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I had a very enjoyable stay at Scores, despite the construction work service at the Hotel was first class. We were a party of 6 and we all agreed the Staff were very friendly & extremely helpful. There was plenty to choose from at breakfast , I had Eggs Benedict which were cooked to perfection. Will definitely stay here again.

Susan B ,

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Sexysusan_40,

Thank you for your review after you and your friends visited us earlier this month. I was glad to hear that you had a good stay and that it was so enjoyable and I was particularly pleased to hear that you found the staff so friendly and helpful, many thanks!
I think you made a good choice with Eggs Benedict, it is delicious and deservedly popular at breakfast time here. We believe that a good breakfast sets you up for the day!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Best wishes,

Philip Rolfe
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

I had some problems finding the hotel because of the construction but once I found it, everything was fabulous. The girl at the front desk was extremely professional and polite. My room was comfortable and clean. After a long flight, the bath/shower was exactly what I needed. I called the front desk because I was cold and someone brought up a portable heater within 3 minutes. I didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Dear WGray_13,

Thanks for your review of this hotel which you posted recently. I was greatly pleased to hear that you were happy with your welcome to the hotel, and I have passed your kind comments to the reception team, many thanks!
Sorry that you needed to ask for a heater, the weather has been quite unusually variable this winter, sometimes we are caught "on the hop" so to speak, but I am glad that your request brought a swift response anyway (as it should!).
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Scotland,
Kind Regards,
East Kilbride
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed at the Scores for 3 nights at the beginning of February and were very disappointed with the hotel. Our room was clean and adequate with a nice sea view but very small for 2 people. Dinner in Alexander's Restaurant on the first night was very nice with good service though we found the bar for pre dinner drinks rather noisy and lacking in atmosphere. Breakfast was indifferent - tepid food congealing in warmers (though you could have a fried egg delivered seperately!) and DIY toast.
We were unable to eat in the restaurant for the remaining two nights, first because of a private party and secondly because we were apparently the only people eating that night. On these nights we were invited to eat in the Champion's Grill which had all the atmosphere of a works canteen (complete with over bright lighting and wide screen TV). On the third night we came down to find the bar and restaurant closed and really felt that we were inconveniencing the staff by our presence. It was a very uncomfortable evening.
The hotel was cold and had a very unwelcoming feel. We`were offered incentives to return but don't think that we will.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MoiandStoo
PhilipRolfe, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Scores Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Moi & Stoo. Eric Brown, General Manager, responding. SO SORRY you were disappointed. Sandra our Senior receptionist advised me first thing Monday morning and I called your room. In Winter we normally only operate (1) Restuarant for dinner, usually Alexander's, and you enjoyed that the first night. Sorry about the boisterous winter golfers in the Bar
Second night we did have a private Dinner in Alexander's but we normally offer the same menu in Champions' Grill. The lighting is different to Alex's and we might have turned off the chandeliers and lit the T-lights for atmosphere ( we think "works canteen" is a bit brutal but your point is taken! ) The 3rd night, we should and could have done better and accordingly Sandra adjusted your account and I offered you a future upgrade to a Junior Suite. Breakfast normally gets positive comments and we do use Chaffing dishes when we are busy augmented by Eggs Benedict, Poached Smoked haddock, Omelettes or eggs to order all of which are available anytime
Please do contact me personally if you wish to consider returning